Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !

Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !

Following a recent post on the Bliss Aftermath which got removed with the technical hitches, at the Camber weekend I felt it was a shame that a female friend could not attend as she is single and had no man to book with ! Camber is on her doorstep, a ten minute drive but she has never been able to book camber since Ceroc started.

She was able to book for Southport and Skegness.

It's not environmentally friendly her travelling 300 miles to Southport instead of 15 to Camber.

Should Ceroc reserve some single places with priority for local females. I am sure the same happens in other areas leaving single women travelling all over the country to get a dance. (Spaghetti Junction !)

This has bugged me a little as from the time the booking only the single female places remained on hold.

Any thoughts Ceroc, turning your orange a little more green.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Environmentally Friendly Weekenders !

Quote Originally Posted by Laughalot Bear View Post
    Following a recent post on the Bliss Aftermath which got removed with the technical hitches, at the Camber weekend I felt it was a shame that a female friend could not attend as she is single and had no man to book with ! Camber is on her doorstep, a ten minute drive but she has never been able to book camber since Ceroc started.
    Well to be fair, she can - of course - she just needs to book early - admittedly, very very early for a single woman.

Should Ceroc reserve some single places with priority for local females.
    Interesting idea - but how would you stop them selling on to non-locals? And why not also similarly reserve local spots for men, as environmentally it makes no difference.

Honestly, I think this isn't an "environmental" thing, this is a "woman being discriminated against" thing.

I reckon there are some environmental-friendly policies weekender organisers could adopt, but they all relate to transportation. Let's face it, driving 600 miles in one car is indeed an environment problem.

So, how about policies for things like:
    - Car sharing
    - Group transport
    - "Pick up from station" buses

We had a discussion about this sort of thing somewhere recently (from here onwards).

Group transportation makes sense both economically and environmentally - and possibly even socially.

So it's a win-win-win thing, if it can be organised - that part is usually the killer of course.

Turn the lights down lower in the Blues Room?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Well to be fair, she can - of course - she just needs to book early - admittedly, very very early for a single woman.

Interesting idea - but how would you stop them selling on to non-locals?
    Possibly not a show stopper. Even if you didn't enforce it, there might be some transfers but perhaps not enough to matter.

But there is the question on how local. I reckon few people travel to Camber from a significant distance. So there isn't a huge environmental cost in someone really local having to travel to Southport compared to someone semi local.

And why not also similarly reserve local spots for men, as environmentally it makes no difference.
    If men's places aren't under stress, certainly reserving them wouldn't make much difference.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

It is really easy, book early if you are a female.

Gender balancing was brought in after complaints from females, who said they are too many females at the weekenders.

Time for the females to make thier mind up.... Do you want gender balanced weekenders, or do you want to be able to book if there is a place there female or male...

If you want gender balanced, then book early.

Nothing to do with environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    Is this what we should expect from Windows 7 users in the future?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Is this what we should expect from Windows 7 users in the future?

lol. Nope it was my daughter trying to find Hanna Montana Online

Booking early offers around a 1% chance of a single female place.

The environmental issue still stands although I take the sexism debate however driving to a weekender 300miles away is an environmental issue when you live 15 miles away from the local one.

If you are single and have children to arrange sitters for, being 300 miles away is a PROBLEM.

Blog Entries

Booking early offers around a 1% chance of a single female place.

Don't understand - I thought you could book early enough and get a single female place? Sure, "early enough" may be "within 10 minutes of places being available", but that's supply and demand for you.

Or am I missing something?

If we're going to talk about environmental stuff, let's do that.

if we're going to talk about how weekenders are institutionally biased against single women, let's do that.

But can we not confuse the two?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    lol. Nope it was my daughter trying to find Hanna Montana Online
    Actually I thought it was one of your better posts

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Actually I thought it was one of your better posts
    Supprised it didn't get moved in to another thread to tell you the truth

Would it not make sense for Ceroc Kent and Ceroc Fever (brighton) to have priority booking for Camber?

It'd be nice to think environmentally on this, but early booking is much fairer to everyone all round.

Given I live in the middle of the country, unless there's a weekender in Birmingham that I've not heard about, we have to travel c150+ for every weekender, plus we're usually female heavy on our bookings (in numbers, not necessarily in weight!) so would be hard pushed to have any benefit in locals getting tickets held back.

I think ceroc is friendly on the env. we all loose a few pounds in weight , so save fuel and hence and reduce CO2 emmsion on the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Turn the lights down lower in the Blues Room?
    You wish

I think as I said at the time if she had looked at was was availible on the ceroc website or even here she would have got a ticket no problem

I had one spare and I know that there were at least 2 others availible on the friday

I needed tickets and could have bought about 20 at or below cost price in the 2 weeks I was looking (male and female) but I WANTED to go.

If you want to remove gender balance that of course is another option but to introduce a 'distance factor' is silly and unenforcable. Whats stopping someone using a mates address who lives near by ?

I think you would only know someone was truly born in Essex you couldn't hide that

The most environmentally friendly thing the weekender world could do would be to get rid of the water dispensers. The water is driven great distances when there is perfectly good tap water available.

Also, just how many plastic cups get used? I personally get through loads, so scale up by >1000 thirsty dancers and alot of hydrocarbon has been used and is headed straight to landfill.

There are lots of practical reasons why it wouldn't catch on, but being environmentally friendly requires a certain amout of self-flagellation.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    The most environmentally friendly thing the weekender world could do would be to get rid of the water dispensers. The water is driven great distances when there is perfectly good tap water available.
    The ones at Bliss were connected to the mains taps.

Can’t agree with this one I’m afraid as (selfishly admittedly):

1. for those of us who live in London have no choice but to travel as there no holiday camps locally
    2. One reason I go on weekenders (other than to dance of course) is to get away from home for a break
    3. It is great place to go and dance with people that I would not usually get the chance to meet and dance with, as they live in different parts of the country.

But at least whilst I’m away for the weekend I’m not driving all over the place to freestyles

It is always frustrating when you can’t go to an event though for what ever reason

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post

Also, just how many plastic cups get used? I personally get through loads, so scale up by >1000 thirsty dancers and alot of hydrocarbon has been used and is headed straight to landfill.
    I tend to refill my own bottle rather than use the cups. Have had some funny looks when doing that, as if somehow that's not allowed! Each time I've explained that its to be more environmentally friendly than using lots of plastic cups.

I'm never environmentally friendly going to a weekender as it always involves a flight for me.

Thread Information