Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on clothing for freestyle events!

Advice on clothing for freestyle events!

Hi All,

I am just wondering if someone might be able to help me. I am new to both WCS and Modern Jive and have been going regularly to a variety of freestyles. Like any girl, i like to have a few different tops that i can switch between that are comfortable, aren't too hot to dance in and look nice .

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend where to buy some pretty tops or comfy trousers that would be good to dance in as my repetoire of dance clothing at present is quite limited!

Thanks

HoneyB x

Re: Advice on clothing for freestyle events!

Hi Honey, welcome to the wonderful world of modern dancing!

You should be able to get most of your freestyle clothes from the high street

If you like to wear jeans, get some with a lot of stretch, I get mine from Jane Norman and Republic with 5% lycra, they allow you to go that extra inch on the dancefloor Sainsbury's Tu have great loose linen trousers and combats if baggy is your thing.

Vest tops - M&S do wonderful Fairtrade cotton vest tops for £5 in a rainbow of colours, they can be worn with a crop top to allow you to warm up before stripping off the layers, pus you are helping the good cause of Fairtrading! And I will mention my favourite shop (Jane Norman) again....they do party tops in all sorts of colours, styles, and sparkles now its nearly Christmas.

The best way to test new clothes out is to try them on in the changing rooms, do a few turns, twirls etc in the mirror and check that they stay put and don't show your underwear (unless you want that LOL). You might want to take a friend along for a second opinion as well.

Good luck with finding clothes you love to dance in, and happy dancing!

I find ebay helps a lot too - just make sure you know your size! I have rapidly expanded my skirt selection at a fraction of the cost by doing it this way

Cheers and welcome to the undercover addiction that they don't tell you about - Shopping!

I used to hate clothes shopping before I went dancing - Oh dear - what an addiction it is now!

Cheers Whitetiger

for Something that is a bit out there and a little different try JoeBrowns.co.uk and also sometimes go for a wander around the shops and something might just catch your eye.

Commercial Operator

The other thing is to visit charity shops. I'm regularly told by ladies that an outfit is a charity shop find.

Blog Entries

If ya on a budget you cant beat New Look. Great tops, really cheap and perfect for dancing in.

They also do combats which are really comfy and all the usuals, stretchy jeans, linen etc etc.

If ya feel like splashing out or there is a special freestyle then... River Island and Wallisdo it for me everytime.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I shall certainly enjoy hunting out some bargains on the high street aswell as visiting a few charity shops!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    If ya on a budget you cant beat New Look. Great tops, really cheap and perfect for dancing in.

I have several pairs of black trousers from New Look that I wear a lot - light, stretchy and comfortable. I also have several tops from there.

Two tips. If trying a skirt make sure that its full/short enough to be able to dance in - and as said above, try spinning to see how much it flares out - remembering that when you spin in freestyle you are often going faster!

And if buying a strappy top, make sure the straps don't tend to slip down. I prefer the ones with adjustable, elasticated straps, then I can have them a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I have several pairs of black trousers from New Look that I wear a lot - light, stretchy and comfortable.
    The important thing for me is the material - some of the trousers they do are too synthetic but some are the best I've ever found

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    And if buying a strappy top, make sure the straps don't tend to slip down. I prefer the ones with adjustable, elasticated straps, then I can have them a perfect fit.
    For that reason racer back tops or halternecks also work quite well

where i work, (Peacocks) we have lovely well cut black trousers for under a tenner, you cant go wrong with black trousers and a sparkly top

if you like plain primark has plain bright coloured tops for literally a pound, yes really!

however if your more into detail peacocks, new look and baytrade are all perfect.

and matalan

matalan was made for dancers!

I have heard that Clobber do some good outfits

By the way - Welcome to the forum HoneyB

Bay street trading always have some great tops. They also do loads of short skirts that will suit your fab figure.

Great to see you the other night even if it was for a very short time

I'd second what everyone else has stated here already.

I refer to Look magazine to find out what new things are in the main high street shops. Also in the back adverts they usually advertise more unusual shops (usually online) where you can often find cheap and sometimes interesting clothes good for dancing.

For classes and more casual wear you can get some good t-shirts from Miss Butterfly (www.missbutterfly.co.uk) and I also like Quiz clothing (also online, although they do have some shops). I've recently found their designs in internacionale - cheap high street shop, perfect for dancing items (both tops and jeans/combats).

Nowadays, everything I buy is generally for dancing purposes if it's not for work.

A bit pricey - but boy do these dresses spin! I have one of the halternecks. I love it! Vivien of Holloway

If I remember rightly it was one of these skirts that gave Twirly her nickname

Enjoy

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    A bit pricey - but boy do these dresses spin! I have one of the halternecks. I love it! Vivien of Holloway
    I wear these for rock n roll.......they give you a great shape up top. But, yeah, pricey particularly when coupled with the petticoats.

For my MJ stuff it's usually stretch jeans of a spangly nature and halterneck tops........echo the straps falling down on vest type tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    I wear these for rock n roll.......they give you a great shape up top. But, yeah, pricey particularly when coupled with the petticoats.

For my MJ stuff it's usually stretch jeans of a spangly nature and halterneck tops........echo the straps falling down on vest type tops.
    Ah, the nostalgic rustle of petticoats. And the snap, crackle, and pop of nylon induced static electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Ah, the nostalgic rustle of petticoats. And the snap, crackle, and pop of nylon induced static electricity.
    Lol, Jivejunkie loves wrestling with my petticoats........it reminds him of when he was a teenager

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Have you tried wearing mens clothes instead?

If you don't mind doing your shopping online try www.asos.co.uk (As seen on screen). I've not bought anything yet, but my friends and family have and the purchases are 'quality'!

Bibi

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I agree, it's good not to spend too much, 'cos all that perspiring leads to lots of washing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post

Two tips. If trying a skirt make sure that its full/short enough to be able to dance in - and as said above, try spinning to see how much it flares out - remembering that when you spin in freestyle you are often going faster!

Couldn't agree more. I've had many a funny look in a changing room spinning around and then lifting my leg as high as poss to make sure it's dance worthy

And I've broken straps on tops that are too loose, they fall off your shoulder just as you lift your arm and ping!

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    matalan was made for dancers!
    Last time I went there the changing room assistant said, "Hi, how are you, I haven't seen you for a couple of weeks..." (She must have been off for a couple of days )

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Nowadays, everything I buy is generally for dancing purposes if it's not for work.
    Every time I go shopping for work clothes I come home with sparkly dancing dresses. Soon the only solution will be to start wearing the sparkly dresses for work (and I work in a power station)!

Thread Information