Thread: Looking for a dance partner

Cool Looking for a dance partner

Hi everyone
    I start Ceroc in January 2008 and I just love it but I dont seem to be getting any further than the "Basic" moves.
    I am looking for a female dance partner that is willing to practice new moves with me also be willing to move on to compitions. Some one in Scotland preferably.
    They have to be fit and energetic and have a passion for dancing.

Any offers?

Commercial Operator

Re: Looking for a dance partner

Quote Originally Posted by Hunky Hugh View Post
    Hi everyone
    I start Ceroc in January 2008 and I just love it but I dont seem to be getting any further than the "Basic" moves.
    I am looking for a female dance partner that is willing to practice new moves with me also be willing to move on to compitions. Some one in Scotland preferably.

Any offers?
    Hi Hugh, it's great that you're enjoying your dancing and that you're so keen. My advice is to keep up the regular classes rather than practice with a particular partner as this really does stand in the way of developing proper lead and follow technique.

My advice is to get a private lesson or two. This will, hopefully, identify why you're not getting any further. I'm not sure what private lessons cost in Scotland. To give you an idea, I charge £30 an hour including room hire.

The other thing is to learn to love the "basic" moves

Blog Entries

Workshops workshops workshops.. that will get you on further and no dance partner needed.

A dance partner will come up im sure as you do more and more dances.

Try and expand your travelling as well to new dance nights so that you get a bit of variety.. not only Ceroc i mean. If you go on the internet and tap in jive dancing/modern jive etc etc... you will find other dance clubs to try. This will develop you more also.

And as Andy correctly said... the basic moves are fun. Learn to play with them when your dancing.

Hope that helps

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    My advice is to keep up the regular classes rather than practice with a particular partner as this really does stand in the way of developing proper lead and follow technique.

My advice is to get a private lesson or two. This will, hopefully, identify why you're not getting any further. I'm not sure what private lessons cost in Scotland. To give you an idea, I charge £30 an hour including room hire.

The other thing is to learn to love the "basic" moves
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Workshops workshops workshops.. that will get you on further and no dance partner needed.

A dance partner will come up im sure as you do more and more dances.

Try and expand your travelling as well to new dance nights so that you get a bit of variety.. not only Ceroc i mean. If you go on the internet and tap in jive dancing/modern jive etc etc... you will find other dance clubs to try. This will develop you more also.

And as Andy correctly said... the basic moves are fun. Learn to play with them when your dancing.

Hope that helps

xx
    Hi hugh and welcome to the forum
    My advice would be exactly the same as these two

experience only comes with practice

also you could go to a weekender these have a huge variety of dance styles and teachers from all over the world
    you will find all the best dancers and that means you will get a flavour of dancing with the best
    Dont be scared of asking anyone to dance we all do it because its our passion and enjoy dancing with anyone from beginners to the best of the best

more important than anything else just enjoy what you are doing now and try to make sure your partner enjoys it as well

i have been told by a few female teachers not to worry about a limited amount of moves just try to do the ones you know as smoothly as possible the partner you are with will move on to someone with different moves so they will enjoy your dance and not be bored

I am going to slightly disagree

My dancing defiantly improved, after finding a regular dance partner to practice with

But I found her by going to 5 classes a week

I suspect you are not going to find yours on the internet (But lets hope I am wrong )

As Andy and Trouble say, get out and about, your partner is out there somewhere and you have to find her

Good luck

Hi everyone

Any offers?
    Hi Hugh,

I sympathise with you. If you dig far enough back in the forum you'll see me saying similar things to you at about your stage of learning.

Based on my experience, I fear you may not do so well in your search, but wish you well.

Like some of the other respondents, workshops, private lessons, and sticking at classes.

In the workshops and classes you'll probably meet folks who you like dancing with, and hopefully they'll like dancing with you. Then without making a big thing about "partners", you can maybe suggest extra practice sessions during class nights – maybe between the beginner and intermediate lessons.

Maybe if this goes well, it can develop into something more...

The big thing about "partners" is commitment. People often have enough commitments in their lives without adding new ones.

Becoming a competition partner is a big commitment. You'll not find many folks ready to sign themselves up for that with a dancer with less than 10 months' experience.

Good luck!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone
    Hi HH - welcome to the forum!

What are you trying to achieve, exactly? More moves?

I am looking for a female dance partner that is willing to practice new moves with me also be willing to move on to compitions.
    You should be aware that practicing for competitions is very different to practicing with a view to improving your overall dancing - although there is some overlap.

Personally, I'm with Philsmove - a dance partnership, if used well, can be very useful. However, we're both probably looking at things from a Tango-esque slant, so we may have slightly different views to the masses. Better ones, that is.

To all of the above posts.

One addional point though, although you might think you're not progressing at the moment, you actually probably are.

I'm of the opnion that every time you attend a lesson (even the most basic beginners class), and every time you freestyle, you are learning something.

Very often it's an intangible something, but nevertheles it's something that forms part of the building blocks for the future.

And welcome to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Personally, I'm with Philsmove - ........... However, we're both probably looking at things from a Tango-esque slant, ..........
    oddly enogh, the experience I described was a Leroc one, over 10 years ago, when I had just stared dancing

I have yet to find a regular Tango partner but am doing as many Tango classes as time, money and energy allow

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post

One addional point though, although you might think you're not progressing at the moment, you actually probably are.

I'm of the opnion that every time you attend a lesson (even the most basic beginners class), and every time you freestyle, you are learning something.

Very often it's an intangible something, but nevertheles it's something that forms part of the building blocks for the future.

And welcome to the forum
    this is exactly my opinion as well
    no matter how long you have been dancing or how advanced you are even in the beginners class you can still learn something to put a minor slant on your dancing

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post

Another thing about progress is that your knowledge of how you should be dancing progresses alongside and sometimes ahead of your actual dancing prowess. This means that you will go through phases of thinking you've got it followed by phases of thinking you're not so good This is all part of the learning curve. Once you've been through it a few times it's not quite so disheartening.

As said earlier, the best thing is to get training from an expert. The hard bit in dance is finding a suitable expert. This is especially difficult in modern jive where anybody can set up as an unqualified and untrained teacher. You don't necessarily need teaching qualifications to be a good dance teacher and you don't need to be a great dancer to pass a dance teaching exam. But you will find that most of the good teachers have received training - for example, very few, if any, Ceroc teachers are qualified teachers, but they have been through an extensive in-house training programme. My advice, when looking for a good dance teacher is to ask for personal recommendations from a few people, listen carefully to their answers and sift out the politics from the comments about teaching ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The hard bit in dance is finding a suitable expert.
    i thought we were all experts andy

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    An "ex" is a has-been and "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    An "ex" is a has-been and "spurt" is a drip under pressure.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Actually, I agree with pretty much everything Andy says in that post.

Modern Jive is very very "professional-lite", in terms of teachers. In contrast, in some areas of North London it seems you can't chuck a brick without hitting a professional AT teacher.

I doubt that the number of truly-professional expert MJ teachers in the entire UK is into double figures, to be honest.

So, most of us have to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps - and having a regular dance partner, if done right, is a good way of doing this.

Thread Information