Thread: Can you transfer tape to CD

Can you transfer tape to CD

I've recently bought a new car (well new to me anyway) and it has quite a nice Cd player in it, whilst I've always had a Cassette tape player before.
    So subsequently I've got 100's of great tapes that i can no longer play in my car.
    So the question is - has anybody invented anything yet that will allow you to transfer taped music onto a CD. MOdern Technology taking a step back!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Can you transfer tape to CD

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    I've recently bought a new car (well new to me anyway) and it has quite a nice Cd player in it, whilst I've always had a Cassette tape player before.
    So subsequently I've got 100's of great tapes that i can no longer play in my car.
    So the question is - has anybody invented anything yet that will allow you to transfer taped music onto a CD. MOdern Technology taking a step back!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation
    the easiest way would be to connect a tape plyers headphones or output in to your pc's sound card and record it as an MP3.

You can then either listen to it on your PC, MP3 player or burn them to CD.

I am sure there are specific devices out there to do it but they wont be cheap.

Do you own any albums post year 1995? Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    the easiest way would be to connect a tape plyers headphones or output in to your pc's sound card and record it as an MP3.

You can then either listen to it on your PC, MP3 player or burn them to CD.

I am sure there are specific devices out there to do it but they wont be cheap.

Do you own any albums post year 1995? Just a thought
    Thanks I sort of thought that might work, trouble is I haven't got a CD re-writer yet, but I suppose it's only a matter of time.

In answer to your question about post 1995 - I was actually a DJ until about then, but that was when LP's were being phased out in favour of CD's

I have bought some recently, and not all Rock and Roll either, I do actually have some post 2005 ones by MODERN artists!!!!

But I still miss my Rock & Roll, Northern Soul, Scottish Gaelic Folk, Norweigian Folk, Cajun, and 60's music

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    Thanks I sort of thought that might work, trouble is I haven't got a CD re-writer yet, but I suppose it's only a matter of time.

In answer to your question about post 1995 - I was actually a DJ until about then, but that was when LP's were being phased out in favour of CD's

I have bought some recently, and not all Rock and Roll either, I do actually have some post 2005 ones by MODERN artists!!!!

But I still miss my Rock & Roll, Northern Soul, Scottish Gaelic Folk, Norweigian Folk, Cajun, and 60's music

Cd writers for the pc are about £10 nowdays and are easy enough to fit yourself even if you only have minor PC knowledge.

Your PC must be quite old if theres no CD-writer in it? You might need a better speed PC if this is the case.

If you have a portable tape player you can use in the car, then this might help until you get a CD writer:

FM Transmitter

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    If you have a portable tape player you can use in the car, then this might help until you get a CD writer:

FM Transmitter

that will do the job too. I got one brand new for £6 at my local computer shop. Just make sure you can get an adapter to plug it in to cig socket on car as the batterys dont last all that well in them.

Commercial Operator

THIS any help??

Am seriously considering the vinyl one...

I just wanted to thank everyone who on this thread because I have been asking this question for years. Similarly I have hundreds of cassettes and what a waste if I had to bin them, so thanks for the tips guys.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Maplin does several convert to PC devices, some found using cassette as a search term

Maplin > cassette

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Maplin does several convert to PC devices, some found using cassette as a search term

Maplin > cassette
    Yes I actually bought one of these from Maplin (the "Instant Music" one I think - it's an Audio-> USB converter). I wasn't impressed though:
    • The software included only works for 3 times before you have to pay to register it. I was expecting some sort of cut down software, but this seemed pretty mean.
    • It wouldn't work with my Hi Fi Cassette deck. The software helpfully said it was too loud (and it was right, because the levels distort), but since my Cassette deck doesn't have a volume control, there was nothing I could do about it.
    Love dance, will travel

Thumbs up Re: Can you transfer tape to CD

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure that Rubyred and I aren't the only ones who want to transfer cassettes, Some of the stuff I have on cassette, especially the Northern Soul/ Rock and Roll stuff is so rare that I wouldn't think there would be any chance of finding a CD with it on.

In my last car, which had a fitted a cd player, I did actually wire in my old car cassette/radio and fabricate some brackets, which is why I never had a problem until now. Unfortunately I havn't got space to do the same in this one. Thanks anyway
    Last edited by Jivejunkie; 7th-November-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: speeeling an grama

Thread Information