Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well done Barack Obama - how long before racism is a dinosaur?

Well done Barack Obama - how long before racism is a dinosaur?

The first black president of the USA.

The USA is more racist than the UK.

Is racism set to become a distant nasty memory?

re: Well done Barack Obama - how long before racism is a dinosaur?

Oh did he win then

...... and what's happened to that old boy Bush, aint seen him for ages.

Blog Entries

I think Obama winning has really shown that racisim could be done and dusted.. although some of the recordings today did show a few people saying how this was a win for the african americans and one said,we showed them..... not quite sure who she was referring too but suspected she was directing that comment to the racists of the world.

I do think that Obama could bring racism screaming back into the limelight if he is seen to do too much for the black community. He will have to be very careful to ensure that his actions do not come across as heavy one sided on all issues that could be race related.

Im nervous about this man... i think he is trouble.. i dont know why or what it is about him but i get this horrible feeling that he is not all he appears to be. Then again... wot politician is.

He still gives me the creeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Is racism set to become a distant nasty memory?
    Err...you make it sould like racism is to do with White people being racist to black people. It's not as simple as that. For all we know Obama could be racist.

Although I do see the fact that the USA has elected a black president as something positive but I think it would be very naïve to think that this is the beginning of the end of racism. There are still section of the USA public and elsewhere in the world that hold very racist views and not only white supremacists. But it is at least a positive step in the right direction.

My other thought is if this is so positive a step for the end of racism why are we mentioning that he is a black president (I do know it is a momentous occasion)

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Will it still be called the "WHITE" house.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]My other thought is if this is so positive a step for the end of racism why are we mentioning that he is a black president (I do know it is a momentous occasion)
    Quite!

Elaine

Thumbs up re: Well done Barack Obama - how long before racism is a dinosaur?

I'm not interested in American politics at all really, but feel there is something positive about a black president getting into the White house - But do I hope that the racist issue, black president issue ends this week.

America has got bigger issues to sort out and I would like to think that despite any preconceptions of Americans, they elected him because he is likely to be a good president, not a good BLACK president.

I hope that it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

Although I do see the fact that the USA has elected a black president as something positive but I think it would be very naïve to think that this is the beginning of the end of racism. There are still section of the USA public and elsewhere in the world that hold very racist views and not only white supremacists. But it is at least a positive step in the right direction.
    My other thought is if this is so positive a step for the end of racism why are we mentioning that he is a black president (I do know it is a momentous occasion)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Quite!

Elaine
    Barack Osama refers to himself as black.

There have been people who say he is only half black (his father is a black, and his mother is white), but he calls himself black.

when we were in florida in may we were told in no uncertain terms that america would never vote in a black president seems they got that one wrong then didnt they
    i completely agree with your sentiment here i hate all forms of racism both positive and negative for example how can there be a black law society in a non racist country or mobo awards these are both types of positive racism which can only segregate people not bring them together

There have been people who say he is only half black (his father is a black, and his mother is white), but he calls himself black.
    Now wouldn't that be a good move if he said that he wanted to be referred to as coffee-coloured - equally as black as he is white!

Glitter Queen

I just hope he is the right person for the job and that he has enough experience to do it. I don't care what colour his skin is, as long as he can be a good president.

I think the shift from republican to democrat will make some interesting changes as long as issues are not clouded by racial predudices and other matters that are un-related to the things being dealt with.

Good luck to him, that's all I can say. He's got a tough job ahead of him.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Although I do see the fact that the USA has elected a black president as something positive but I think it would be very naïve to think that this is the beginning of the end of racism.
    Absolutely. Thatcher didn't signal the end of sexism in the UK. But it's still a good symbol.

My other thought is if this is so positive a step for the end of racism why are we mentioning that he is a black president (I do know it is a momentous occasion
    To be fair, he isn't, really - and he never has. Doesn't stop the media from getting focussed on his colour, of course, and clearly it's deeply symbolic for large amounts of the world and the USA.

That said, I'm just so glad there's going to be a thoughtful (intelligent even), pragmatic, moderate and diplomatic incumbent. God knows, he's got his work cut out for him - Bush will leave the USA with 2 ongoing and possibly-unwinnable wars, with massive debt, with an all-time low international standing, and now a major economic crisis.

Frankly, I'm surprised he still wants the job...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Absolutely. Thatcher didn't signal the end of sexism in the UK. But it's still a good symbol.
    Thatcher was a good symbol for women in power ? Very popular was she ? Peoples princess perhaps ?

Surely the issue is not the adjective, but why anyone would care about his ancestry. (other than those who voted for him)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    Surely the issue is not the adjective, but why anyone would care about his ancestry. (other than those who voted for him)
    er...tell that to the Kenyans who are ecstatic and have declared a National Holiday.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Interesting take from BBC news web comments ...

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXANDER, RUSSIA

This shows that racism has won in the US. Obama has no knowledge or experience, but his skin colour is "politically correct".

But I hope that this election will vaccinate the United States from racism for the future.

Obama is bound to demonstrate his political incompetence and this will teach Americans a lesson: a presidential election should not depend on the candidates' skin colour. (From BBC Russian.com)
    I had never considered that he won so easily simply because he was black

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Thatcher was a good symbol for women in power ? Very popular was she ? Peoples princess perhaps ?
    At the time of her election, her gender was seen as quite significant, yes. Scarily, I can remember that far back.

Its about time a black person is achieving the big one.

Black people generally have had to put up with so much sh-t for so long, lets hope its the beginning of the end for them and for all forms of racism whatever form that takes.

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    Its about time a black person is achieving the big one.

Black people generally have had to put up with so much sh-t for so long, lets hope its the beginning of the end for them and for all forms of racism whatever form that takes.
    Hold on, If America has such a racist history (alegedly), right back to the anti-black confederates, and the KKK, and remember the uproar about the New Orleans/ Louisiana Hurricane a couple of years ago, about help not forthcoming because they were black. How can anyone believe that all of a sudden all this has been turned on it's head and over half of the citizens of the states voted Obama in simply because he's black!

A few months ago there was the real possibility of a women getting in - was that simply because she was a woman?

Come on - do you really believe that people are so gullible that they would entrust somebody with their money and their lives simply because of their physical attributes.

(Mind you they can now use the headline Obama v Osama! any votes on how long it will take before they use that in the Sun?)

Thread Information