View Poll Results: Ceroc Midlands Champs - Are you going?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, and I'll be competing too!

4 23.53%
  • Yes, to enjoy the day and support my friends.

2 11.76%
  • Not sure yet! Thinking about it...

2 11.76%
  • No, can't make it

9 52.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Midlands Champs 2008

Ceroc Midlands Champs 2008

So, who's going, who's competing?

For info, see Ceroc Midlands

Not too late to enter .... still over a week to practise.

Re: Ceroc Midlands Champs 2008

Quote Originally Posted by LilyB View Post
    So, who's going, who's competing?

For info, see Ceroc Midlands

Not too late to enter .... still over a week to practise.
    Hi Lily
    Pity this is the day after Utopia Twickenham, don't think I'd be able to get there.

I know you say 'always have a go', but one thing puts me off the Midlands Champs - the lack of an Advanced category. Which means Intermediates and Advancecd are competing together, (like Blackpool) which means the typical intermediate dancers will, to be plain, have no chance of getting anywhere. Good experience I guess, but it can be discouraging!

Patrick

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    the lack of an Advanced category. Which means Intermediates and Advancecd are competing together,
    No they're not, there's an open catagory for non-intermediates to enter. Why would an "advanced" dancer enter an "intermediate" catagory ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    No they're not, there's an open catagory for non-intermediates to enter. Why would an "advanced" dancer enter an "intermediate" catagory ?
    a) Oh yes they are!
    b) To win of course.

'Open' of course is open to dance teachers and professional dancers. Many competitions have an Advanced category for the most experienced amateurs (who have typically already won or been placed at Intermediate level previously), but don't necessarily want to compete with professionals. In a comp like the Midlands, the 'Advanced' dancers have to chose between Intermediate or Open, some will chose Intermediates, when they are really in a different league to most of us.

I understand in ballroom competitions there are a lot of graded skill categories which encourage progression, whereas modern jive has relatively few levels, with amateur/professional being (almost) the crudest split. As it happens the first comp I ever did had only an open category, a rather humbling experience!

Patrick

you could proberble do with a poll on this thread

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

a) Oh yes they are!
    They are only competing together because the evil advanced dancers have entered a catagory clearly not meant for them. They should be shot and stung up*

* not in that order necessarily**, and with wasps rather than bees

** or necessarily in that order

b) To win of course.
    What kind of twisted individual enters an intermediate catagory knowing they are not intermediate? If this happens, you are right, "ints" and "ads" will compete, but that is entirely the fault of the "ads". They can enter the Open, and should enter the Open. Are advanced dancers just looking for an easier win then? or is it an ego thing "I'm not really as advanced as i think i am and dont want to look bad in the first round".

'Open' of course is open to dance teachers and professional dancers.
    I think its more Open as in, you know "Open"...to anyone.

Many competitions have an Advanced category for the most experienced amateurs (who have typically already won or been placed at Intermediate level previously), but don't necessarily want to compete with professionals.
    I do understand. I don't want to compete with Paula Radcliffe in a marathon, so I've insisted London Marathon organisers introduce the "400yd stroll to Starbucks", I'm up there with the best in the catagory and it has a frothy reward at the end.

In a comp like the Midlands, the 'Advanced' dancers have to chose between Intermediate or Open, some will chose Intermediates, when they are really in a different league to most of us.
    They are bastions.
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 5th-November-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: i was sitting on the chair funny when i initially did it

Donna

I won't be competing for a long time now as don't do jive anymore. Taking a loooong break from it and trying other styles instead.

No, won't be competing this year, but watch this space....... (am blowing dust off those sparkly dance shoes.........).

Best of luck to my buddies from the South West, including Mark and Fiona and Matt and Rachel.

Elaine

Myself and Paul ae competing in the intermediate as we would nt class ourselves as open competitors - however if there was an advanced then we would have done it - cant understand why some of the comps dont have an inbetween ints and open sections when they really are needed.

Best of luck to all - it was a fab day last year - looking forward to it very much

Pity this is the day after Utopia Twickenham, don't think I'd be able to get there.
    Why not? We're going to Utopia too, then on to the Midlands Champs the next day. You can always sleep/rest/recover on Sunday.

I know you say 'always have a go', but one thing puts me off the Midlands Champs - the lack of an Advanced category ...
    It has been explained to me by a competition organiser that one of the main reasons for scrapping the Advanced category was the low numbers that enter. Perhaps more competitors ought to sign up for the Advanced category in future competitions that still offer it, so as to prove to organisers that there is a strong demand for it.

I'm going! I'll be dancing in the Open with my new partner, the lovely Happy B

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    I'm going! I'll be dancing in the Open with my new partner, the lovely Happy B
    Ahhh, yes, she is lovely!!! Good luck to you both!

Elaine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It has been explained to me by a competition organiser that one of the main reasons for scrapping the Advanced category was the low numbers that enter. Perhaps more competitors ought to sign up for the Advanced category in future competitions that still offer it, so as to prove to organisers that there is a strong demand for it.
    I think its funny really - there have always been complaints about a lack of Open category where there isn't one so that "professionals and teachers" can enter it, leaving the Advanced for "amateurs". The evidence for doing this is the under subscribed Advanced due to "amateurs" not wanting to compete with these pros, so they enter the intermediate (despite not being intermediate). So what then happens when a competition adds an Open category ? Some advanced dancers still think they are not ready to enter an advanced category and the amateurs who would previously have entered the advanced to compete with the best...have to enter the Open instead. There were 4 couples at the Scottish Competition advanced category - that's right, FOUR

Who knows maybe next year it will be scrapped and the Open can be renamed as...oooh lets see, maybe "Advanced"

Why not? We're going to Utopia too, then on to the Midlands Champs the next day. You can always sleep/rest/recover on Sunday. .
    I'm looking into the logistics, but I will already be travelling to Twickenham from Somerset with a friend who probably won't want to come to the Midlands, so it's a bit complicated. Also, as I've been out of the scene for about 18 months, even going to Utopia for the first time is already quite an adventure! (ie scary) It would be nice to catch up though.

Agreed with that. Enforcing the rule that you can't ener intermediates if you've already won or been placed at that level would help. Can't remember which competitions had it, but it used to be understood I thought.

Patrick

Commercial Operator Mike Allsopp's Avatar

On a theme of 'Strictly' this years Open will have the all the competitors dancing against each other three times for the Judges.

Heat 1 - Jive
    Heat 2 - Latin
    Heat 3 - Blues/Swing

The 'Open' is considered the epitome of all the categories - we hope this format will make it a little more spectacular for the audience and give the Judges an opportunity to view the couples, not just once in a knockout round but see their overall performance to three different genre of music - music they are all likely to be used to!

We think it might work and hopefully, determine the true overall Champions at the highest level.

Mike
    Sledge Hammer....Trust me, I know what I'm doing!

Good luck to everyone competing xx

Congratulations to Terspercoria and his dance partner Zuki on winning the Lucky Dip and Intermediates. Well done you too and very well deserved, all your hard work has paid off. I am sorry I wasn't there to see you, but you both did look great at Brighouse the other week.

How did the others do any news yet???
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Commercial Operator Mike Allsopp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Congratulations to Terspercoria and his dance partner Zuki on winning the Lucky Dip and Intermediates. Well done you too and very well deserved, all your hard work has paid off. I am sorry I wasn't there to see you, but you both did look great at Brighouse the other week

How did the others do any news yet???

Hi Folks......

Here are the results:

Lucky Dip

1st Chrispian Neill and Debbie Pole
    2nd Warren Esterman and Sandra Brunet
    3rd Alan Topham and Rachel White

Intermediate

1st Crispian Neill and Zuki Savage
    2nd Matt Hunter and Kin Nguyen
    3rd Paul Richards and Denise Jaques

Juniors

1st Jake Warrilow and Stacy Bates
    2nd Victoria and Emily Attwood
    3rd Joe Fletcher and Shannon Jeans

Old Gits

1st Trevor Fisk and Diane Dench
    2nd Steve Ledsham and Pam Sharp
    3rd Ian Shailer and Ann Litherland

Ceroc 'X'

1st Graham Gladman and Sungi Liu
    2nd James Moore and Becki Rendell
    3rd Paul Richards and Denise Jaques

Aerials

1st Matt Hunter and Kim Nguyen
    2nd Jason Stump and Dawn Stump

Open

1st John Symonds and Debbie Pole
    2nd Garry Riseborough and Abby Riseborough
    3rd James Moore and Becki Rendell

Congratulations all the above and a big thank you to all the entrants and folks who came along to make it our best event yet.

A particular thanks to the 'Open' Category couples who, we hope, found the new contest format as exciting to be in as it was for us all to watch!!

A special thanks to DJ's Marc Forster, Chris Uren, David Lomas and Bryan Croft who kept the music playing - 13hrs without one repeated track!!

Thanks also to the esteemed Judges, Door Staff, Crew and Score Analysts who made it all run so smoothly.

It was great!! (IMHO)

Mike
    Sledge Hammer....Trust me, I know what I'm doing!

It was my first time at the Midland Champs, so I didnt know really what to expect, but I had a top day. And by far it was the most friendliest competiton ive been to as it was much smaller than London Champs and Blackpool, it gave you a chance to actually get to talk to people much more.

Totally huge congrats to Paul and DD : ) ) ) ) you guys totally rocked! and totally deserved your placing in the Intermediates.

and a massive well done to Jo and Shannon, who competed in the Junior Catagory. You were by far the cutest couple out there

Also to my totally fab new partner Filthy Monkey... 3rd Place in the Open after only having last week at camber to throw something together wasnt bad going . I had a total blast with you. Tho I was so shocked when they read out 2nd place in Ceroc X......

I thought the format of scraping Heats in the Open in favour of all the couples dancing to all the genres of music was a total genius idea! TOP MARKS MIKE FOR THAT. Its gives a much fairer chance to everyone, and I really hope some of the other competions take this idea on board.

The music was fab all day, and I loved the last hour of much more chilled music too.

Huge congrats to everyone that got placed.

I will deff be back next year even if its just for the socaial

B

Congrats to everyone - esp Terpsichorea and Zuki, Filthy Monkey and Happy B and the youngsters - esp Joe - a little star in the making!

Sorry I couldn't make it to support you in person but fabulous news nonetheless

Thread Information