Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dancing "Message in a bottle" Thank-You Note game

Dancing "Message in a bottle" Thank-You Note game

Hiya ivriwann,

Here is a thread that me, myself and I have been toying, then plotting with in our little heads: the "Bottle in the see" Thank-You note. I find the idea of it pretty compelling and, hopefully, won't be the only one.

Here is how it works: you write a graceful thank-you note to someone you had a dance with the day (or a few days) before. Tell them what made that moment so special, why this is one of the dancing moments you will carry with you from now on and cherish in the shrine of your most wonderful dancing memories. Thank them for what they made possible for you, what they enlightened inside you, how they made you feel.... Be nice and tell them.

Of course, the game has a catch ! ...which is.... You can **NOT** give the person's name or forum nick in the thank-ypu note.

Why? Think of the dedicated songs on the radio, when the DJ says: "From Danny to Nicole: I love you from all my heart, for ever and ever"... How many Nicoles and Dannys does that make shiver? Get the point?

Yeah, a fancy game, quite for my taste. And, hopefully, a thread that will capture these fugitive moments we all dance for. A nice-nice thread worth sharing, surely...

Re: The Dance "Bottle in the See" Thank-You Note game

It was great to see you again. As usual. Not that I expressed any of it: that's the last think I'd like you to know. Sitting on the staircase of the stage, I was watching you flutter along, greeting people and making them at ease with your generous smile. You probably had seen me as well, and were just waiting for the appropriate moment: the next song, one that we would both like.

It was not the next song, but the one after that. You walked towards me, grabbed my hands. We smiled at each other, barely talking. Interrupt that instant to actually go to the dance floor felt somewhat inappropriate, irrelevant. But it's the way it's gotta be, isn't it?

You said you hadn't danced for a while. I was also a bit rusty. It took a bit longer than usual to connect and reach the parallel realm where modern jive creates an exotic universe for a short 3 minutes, dedicated to you and me only. Anyway, the smoothness, the fun, the sparkles of our styles, each of them flamboyant and yet quietly humble, played pickaboo with each other as they are used to.

For once, you played no tricks, didn't hid any savvy hijacks in the corner, actually let me lead you fully. For once, our usual facetious fight was left behind for a pure partner dance that I know I will remember.

I felt the need to talk with you for a bit afterwards to express my gratitude for the little piece of magic we just had created and, as often, it was too hard to find the words. So, I just want you to know now how wondrous dancing with you was on that evening.

With your silent permission, I'd like that dance will stay with me. Thank you.

PS: Venue was Hammersmith, 11th November.

well written. I have to say that took my breath aways and I dont quite know how to respond. sorry dude still blown away

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    well written. I have to say that took my breath aways and I dont quite know how to respond. sorry dude still blown away
    - If you were at Hammy that night, maybe it's you I'm writing about...
    - Maybe there is one, or several people, who could / would say the same thing, or nicer things, about a dance they had with you, given the opportunity... Ever thought of that?
    - Maybe there's someone you want to be grateful to for an unforgettable dance you had with them... And so you should let them know.

So it's your turn. Or anyone else's. The beauty of the game is in the shared memory and in the sharing itself. It couldn't be simpler, really...

Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Eric View Post
    Stunning thank you note
    Wow, wish I could rep you for that. It's beautiful.

Moderator - why can't I rep Flat Eric?

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Moderator - why can't I rep Flat Eric?
    Right-click on the rep link, and select "open in new window", and it should allow tell you the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Wow, wish I could rep you for that.
    Thanks, I'm really thankful (As for the other rep points given) but if you want to express your aprpeciation, why not play the game? Any kind is funnier and more interesting when there are several players and surely all forumites have of more than enough dancing material to add a few lines...

Blog Entries

I've danced with you once or twice before and always loved the experience.
    You're a beautiful person with a gorgeous body, a lovely smile and the most hypnotic eyes.
    There was a recent night, after spending time with you and dancing many times during the night I felt like I couldn't possibly have had a better time, except if it had gone on forever.
    Your dancing is superb, even if I'm not quite good enough to do you the justice you deserve, but you make me feel special every time we dance regardless.
    I can't wait to see you again and I only hope that I can make you feel as special as you make me feel.
    Gav.
    x.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Oooooooooooooohhhh!!!! I feel all shiverry!!!!!!!!!!

Gav, you dance with the heart, not only the moves. That's the only worthy way to do so.

We have danced a few times; when ever we dance the world seems to stop. The most beautiful eyes amazing body and personality that sets the world alight. When we dance people, and walls fade away, Time stops no past no future and for those few minutes there is nothing just you holding me safe in your eyes.

I have seen you eyes light up when we dance, the connection between us is lightening and people can see our chemistry, we have been on the floor alone and people have said to you how good you are. I enjoy putting you into dips and the surprise in your face when I put you into a drop you dont expect and hold it longer than intended, but your smile tells me everything is ok.

I just long to be able to dance with you again and again, I know I dance with other people as do you but for some reason there is no-one that I can dance with that compares to you.

I just want to say thank you and cant wait to dance again xxx

Pre Scriptum 1: Hammersmith, 25th November
    Pre Scriptum 2: Best read while listening to “Music was my first love” (John Miles), on which this was committed. Play the track and start reading. The paragraphs are timed on the song…

======
    Sometimes it takes two. Two dancers of course, two dances sometimes. “Masterpieces need time”, the Wise One mumbled in his goatee beard. Surely he was a jiggy mood when he said that. But before the dances themselves, there was the delicious discovery of you being there.

How long had it been? More than a year? Probably less, but it did feel longer than that. Much longer. I should have known on the last time you were to be seen, with this tall, handsome chap who just would not leave you alone for half the evening until you gave him your undivided attention. Understandable, I guess: you are a fabulous dancer, a woman of striking beauty, with a persona that exhales elegance and charm. Still, it did not give him the right to steal our dances for so long.

I watched you from a distance, came closer, unsurely, stood by, just close enough to experience the radiant warmth of your presence as you were gliding and spinning, a few feet away, making another dancer’s lucky day.

Things went really quick. Our eyes caught each other. You looked at me. You slowed down. In an instant, you remembered. You sent a smile that I voraciously snatched away from your partner, for it was mine and mine only. Each of us knew that the next dance would be ours.

After catching your hand, I let you guide me to the space of the floor you had chosen for us. This was also the moment your smile gently let me know that the stakes could only go higher and that, no matter how amazing our last dance may have been. I understood the expectation, was tempted to rationalise, find a reason to lower the standards and hopes you had set, and … just went for it.

The song should have been a perfect fit. I abandoned myself to it, and gratefully received the reminiscence of the childlike dream world it talked about, played with its sweet and sour emotions of the notes and lyrics. Had I gone away too quick and left you behind? I came back emotionally, a bit surprised that we were not in sync, but it was too late. You could not get into the song, despite its undeniable tone, the invitation of my lead, with moves tailored for you and the way I know you love to dance.

At the poker table of extraordinary dances, we folded our hand.

Was is cowardly of me to be delighted with what was nonetheless an “excellent” dance for the simple reason that you were the person I had had it with? I could have gone with that, but changed my mind immediately when we saw each other’s face on the way back… Your eyes had an extra shine, that of an emotion you were containing, and that emotion was disappointment… In an instant, you made my heart sink.

The next track was already on its way. This time a Ceroc anthem. The chances of a dance miracle happening on this sounded pretty slim to me, but you insisted, refusing defeat. With slight disbelief, I asked: “do you like it?”… “I like it”, you replied, intimating that neither refusal nor postponement qualified as eligible options.

The game was on again, and no matter cards we had been given, it was up to us to make it a winning play, this time. And so the dance started, I settled the moves, leaving behind the repertoire that had just been used. Focussed, sharpened my signals, just in case it might help…

Nothing seemed to happen. Were we on our way to another great dance that was nothing more than great?

As the moves went on, I found myself asking: “What is missing?”…

For a second, I closed my eyes and listened. Listened to you and me dancing together, the world around us, the beautifully, chaotic ocean of music and movement filling the hall. I listened to the building, the street and the Universe, opening my begging heart to any answer. I swear.

“Trust… Give her your trust.” … was the answer that came back.

There was only one thing to do.

I reached down inside, deep. And then a bit deeper, to dig out the album of our rare and precious past jives from the shelf of my soul, flicking through endless complex moves that should have gone so wrong and that just went through seamlessly. Nostalgically watched our confident smiles shielded by the certainty that things could only go our way, the way we wanted, needed, deserved.

And suddenly, I knew. Knew that you did not find the dances we shared only “nice”, “amusing” or “interesting”. You liked them. You like them a lot, as a matter of fact. And you were dearly hoping for another one of these.

That was all I needed.

Slowly, patiently, I prepared. Carefully, I sent you my emotion as, as a gift, let it wash over you…

A flash of light. A brutal, razor-sharp sound that stomping inside my head. In a whisper, the other couples seemed to slow down, to the point of freezing their dance. The room around faded and soon nothing was left except the disc of spotlight floating in space and carrying us. As if we were in the Matrix, your movements started to appear as if they were under a stroboscopic beam. I watched, bemused, and realised: we were back ! Back to that enlightened hidden oasis we should never have left or neglected.

I felt our hearts open some more and melt with one another. Moves never seen before, unknown to the world of men, extraordinary combinations started to blossom. I was more than me, you were more than you. Yet, there we were, writing together this poem never meant to be heard nor remembered, just lived once.

I looked over. You were smiling.

When the dance finished, your hand gently squeezing my arm gave me the gift of your happiness. It murmured in secret how you would treasure the memory of that night and recall that Grace casting a spell on mortals, be it for an instant and even when it comes to something as insignificant as a dance, should be cherished and, in any case, never taken for granted.

See you later. Again, maybe never. Who cares, does it matter? I know you remember. Like you, I remember.

Thank you.

Not as poetic or accomplished as those that have been before.

However:

To the Dancer:

Dances with laughter or concentration on the song
    When I'm in your arms nothing can go wrong

For all the people that are in the room
    We could be dancing on the moon

Interpretation leaves my breath uncaught
    Add in a smile worth 5000 Megawatt!

Connection smooth as Satin
    Be the music Blues or Latin

Energy for dances by the hour
    The National Grid is drained of Power!!

Your lead makes me Soar
    Please? Dance with me Some More??

Whitetiger

Where do I sign ?!! Where do I sign ?!!

Another post that confirms this thread's raison-d'etre.

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

I was doing the Intermediate class when you wondered in, You caught my eye, smiled and said hello. I asked you for a dance and enjoyed it thoroughly, I would like to apologise though for my appauling dancing the first time round, I was feeling a bit hot.
    The second dance I felt was much better even though we were both tired, hot and sweaty.
    I would love to dance again, hopefully see you around.
    Stoke, Last night.

Blog Entries

Well i have 3 lots of thanks to do in one hit.

Let's start with lady A.
    When I'm watching you with the experienced leaders, I'm blown away by how fantastically you dance. You always look amazing and are always smiling.
    Then you ask me to dance and I'm sooo in awe that I get stuck in the same old handful of moves that I always do.
    Then you ask me to dance again and start to challenge me. Never backleading, but sometimes hinting with body language that a certain move would be good next. Occasionally taking a moment to play when it's the right time, but I'm unsure what to do.
    Finally i ask you to dance and my confidence has grown over the evening so I'm able to relax and have the best dance I've ever had with you (or I thought so at least! ).
    The way you dance inspires confidence in me and allows me dance in a way the I would never have dreamt of trying with someone as great as you.
    Thank you.

Lady B.
    I know that you suffer from the same dancing disability as me. Lack of confidence! But I also know that neither of us should be so underconfident. You are so easy to lead and you always look good on the dance floor. You spinning and other 'playing' skills are something to be very proud of.
    It was also very nice to stand and chat with you for a while. It's always nice to find someone who's as nice to talk to as they are to dance with.

Lady C.
    Well what can I say?
    You're as light as a feather in dips, drops and leans. The amount of tension/compression you give perfectly matches what I like to feel.
    When I see you dancing with other people you look graceful and elegant and I just hope that I can help you to look that good when we dance.
    Finally, in the words of Buddy Guy;
    Your eyes and your smile hypnotise me
    I don't know what I'm gonna do
    'Cos I'm crazy 'bout you.

We danced tonight and thought we haven't really danced much before I just wanted to keep dancing with you. We danced about 6-7 songs in a row and every time I thanked you but when you were doing nothing I had to ask again.

You are an amazing follow so light to the touch and though my repertoire is limited and my lead confusing at times you didn't seem to bothered, you just smiled and put me at ease.

I would just like to say think you and cant wait to dance with you either tomorrow or Saturday till then I look forward to it!

Thank you - Clueless

Beach Ballroom - July 07

The music started
    You took my hand
    I was lost

Connection sizzled
    The moves you used
    I was lost

Leading me strongly
    With such a light touch
    I was lost

In your arms
    And in your eyes
    I was lost

I will remember forever
    I was lost on the dancefloor
    With You!

Thank you

Whitetiger

Beach ballroom July 2007

Your introduction to me was a surprise you weren't what I expected. The song I asked you for was high paced and full of energy as you are bouncing and bounding across the floor. you grip was firm and provided good tension and resistance.

You followed like a dream and was a realy fun dance where we were lost in the music I didn't need to think it just happened and came together and flowed like a dance should

Northern Hotel July 2007.

I asked for a dance and you obliged it was a dance that will be with me forever your touch, so light, your following, flawless it felt like you were reading my mind of what I was going to do.

You glided across the floor with the greatest of ease and the room dance round up as that one dance time slowed and the music wrapped around up taking us to a higher level.

I'm still fantasising about the precious few minutes where the world listened to our beat for a change and hoping to experience it again soon!

Thank you. xx

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Beach Ballroom July 07

No 1

I smiled, you smiled. I wanted to giggle but worried that that would be silly. But we were dancing and it wouldn't have mattered because you were making me smile. Not a little smile - a big happy joyous smile! And I KNOW that if I ever get the chance to dance with you again (and I do so much hope I do!) it will be the same again. You make me smile, you made me smile and I had a wonderful dance with you.

No 2

I was nervous....what if I got it wrong, what if I tripped on my own feet - even worse, what if I missed a signal. I shouldn't have worried, you took care of me. If I missed a lead, I don't know I did and you would never say. It felt smooth and soft and graceful. Our dance had charm. I won't forget it.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two separate messages to two different guys..

1. UTOPIA (not saying which night)

I think generally, you're a very misunderstood person and I for one have had many times when you've made me feel extremely intimidated and useless and know others have felt the same, so I rarely ask you to dance even though I can see you have great musicality and style.

I happen to know how seriously you take your dancing and how you strive for perfection and so I need to feel confident in myself before I dance with you, to be able to cope with the vibe of disappointment and disdain you give off, if I don't follow your complex movements with the greatest of precision.

I often find your lead confusing, as others do too but I could/would never tell you this, as I think it would be devastating for you. (and I can sense underneath, your a sweetheart really)

After saying all that, when we do have one of our rare dances and it goes well, I can genuinely say... I feel a greater sense of personal achievement, than I do with many other people and thankfully last weekend was one of those occasions!

2. Berko Sunday 8th July

We were dancing next to each other, when suddenly our eyes met, we both did a double take and then embarrassed downward glances then spookily, we did exactly the same thing again but this time we giggled like two silly school kids and I don't actually know why?

We finished our respective dances and without a word, we knew the next dance was 'ours'

We've only ever danced once before, ages ago, I was sure you wouldn't remember, although I confess, I even remembered your name. (although I never let you know that)

We didn't speak, as it didn't seem appropriate, the communication was way beyond words. But as the song came to an end, you held onto me and simply said, its been way too long since we last danced.... can you spare me another? (you did remember me )!

We had two more, then I needed to get a drink, when I came back, I thought you'd gone but as the last song of the night came on and I sat down to change my shoes, you appeared again, just like a knight in shining armour.. Thank you, I know you'll probably never read this but I still want say, you made my evening very special!
    Last edited by Lory; 20th-July-2007 at 03:57 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information