Thread: Ceroc Mag? How far wil a cerocer go?

Ceroc Mag? How far wil a cerocer go?

There used to be a Ceroc Mag. It was quality glossy printing and probably seen as too expensive for results achieved.

I helped Phil Roberts with the Ceroc Central database before it was converted into the Franchise version. I at last managed to get a table of postal areas and coordinates from the Internet and complete an old project to see how distance of a member from a venue affected the number of visits per member. I thought that CC was not doing enough neighbourhood advertising, shop windows etc. I thought that neighbourhood members might be more regular.

The results were amazing. I was so wrong. The number of visits per CC member is very consistent almost regardless of distance. The distances represented are very large, far beyond franchise size, even one as big as CC. We all know how far forumites travel, we are far from exceptional.

It is evident that Cerocers travel far outside franchise boundaries. It therefore seems likely that we are losing business by not promoting venues and events outside franchise boundaries enough. There is not even a link to neighbouring franchises on the CC website.

It would seem that a quarterly Ceroc mag containing a list of all venues and events in the country would result in more business for all. It could contain beginners tips. It could be distributed free to doctors and dentists. It could be sold.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Ceroc Mag? How far wil a cerocer go?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    It would seem that a quarterly Ceroc mag containing a list of all venues and events in the country would result in more business for all. It could contain beginners tips. It could be distributed free to doctors and dentists. It could be sold.
    Hmmm.... My initial response was that "Print is dead", and that marketing is all about online presence; which Ceroc are presumably doing already with their websites, emails, FaceBook groups and so on.

On the other hand, there's a rather nice glossy Tango magazine in London (TangoWorld), which seems to be doing quite well, and I enjoy reading it.

So yes, it might be worth a try.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Hmm ScatheWorld ? My stupid opinions on the world and everyone else ? Would it sail ?

hang on, thats my unupdated website already

Interesting.

Did you do the analysis for regular lesson nights, freestyles or both?

If I'm reading you correctly then it means that the number of venue visits per member is roughly constant regardless of distance. So a group of unrelated people living in the post code area of the venue would not go significantly more than a similar sized group living, say, in a radius range to thirty five miles away.

I find real data fascinating because it so often confounds our expectations. I would have had the same guess as you about frequency dropping away with distance.

Internet marketing might be more cost effective than using a magazine. Another area for real data!

The distance results are quite interesting, although in our area it's quite unusual to find more than a couple of people visiting from outside the franchise venues as regular members. There's also one newer venue i go to where there's probably only the crew, plus 4 other people who've ever set foot in another venue although it would probably benefit their dancing standards if they did.

It'd be interesting also to see how the credit crunch is affecting both the distances travelled and frequency of dancing. I know there's a few people i've spoken to who've cut down on their dancing, or not travelling as far. Luckily my franchise are trying some offers to encourage people to try other venues as well as their home one, but as yet we don't know how that's going.

In terms of promoting outside the franchise area, it was suggested at a crew day that we try this given one venue is right on the border. However we were told that the point of having areas was that we couldn't promote & encroach on another area. The ceroc franchise I go to does have links to all the ceroc franchises on its website though. Also when we busk and speak to non-locals, I always mention that ceroc is national, and direct them to the website so they can find their local classes.

Agree with DB up to a point. However, there is no reason why there couldn't be a national emailed newsletter from Ceroc covering the issues suggested, much like the Ceroc London one that goes out every week.

There is something about having a nice glossy magazine in your hand though...

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Hmmm.... My initial response was that "Print is dead", ...
    Every Thursday "Bedfordshire Times" drops through my letterbox. Sunday its "Bedford on Sunday". I can pick up "Friday Ads" for free. If I want to pay money there are two aisles in W.H.Smith. There are several shelves of geeky PC mags for people we know are connected to the Internet, and they sell for a five a time despite having a deficiency of dancers pics. The problem with a mag is lack of advertisers in general, and , OTOH, too may independents that would want in. No ads would mean costs would be high. It is a tricky exercise. If Ceroc owned the copyright on the champs video perhaps an autumnal issue with that DVD on the cover would sell well, perhaps even in in newsagents, for 5.99. I buy hobby annuals.

The thing to do would be to sell the mag for £x.99 with every entry to a Ceroc venue.

This "cerocer" is not as well travelled as some, but better than most, with a total of (so far) some two dozen different jive venues attended (plus another 7 overseas). I rely heavily on the various websites for up-to-date information, including the generic sites such as UK Jive and Lynda's List. Personally, I was quite disappointed when the original Ceroc "HQ" (for want of a better expression) website did away with the search by weekday/ region/ venue function - I found that very useful when travelling. Now, if I want to research potential venues in - say - the Wirral on a Wednesday, it's much more laborious. Correct me if I'm missing something.

And, as a passing mention, was I the only noggin to drop it at Biggleswade late last Friday evening in the expectation of catching the tail end of the (HQ) advertised freestyle? Or was I hallucinating ...

Websites. Accurate. Up-to-date. Informative. "Glossies" are bolt-on luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    The thing to do would be to sell the mag for £x.99 with every entry to a Ceroc venue.
    I had thought that the free intro DVD would have made a good Pound Shop item, perhaps with an admission offer.

Thread Information