Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well done Lewis Hamilton

Re: Well done Lewis Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Only the last lap:

Trulli and Glock (both Toyota) stayed out on slicks when the circuit was very wet in sectors 3 and 4. Both lost c. 20s on that final lap.

A car on inters on a drying/dry track is manageable but being on slicks when the track is soaking almost impossible.
    My mistake, I meant sectors 2 and 3, not 3 and 4.

Re: ..look away now. :(

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Find out I share my winnings with 27 other forumites
    28, I'm putting those numbers on tonight when I'm at Morrisons

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    As a Scot I was sorry to see David Coultard being shunted out of the race in lap 1 - I don't think that he was as good a talent in his day as Lewis is now but I always wonder if DC would have picked up a couple of championships if Michael Schumacher hadn't been as dominant as he was.
    I thought it summed up his performance this season very well

Excellent race - haven't shouted at the TV watching F1 for a long time

I'm looking forward to next year now - will be interesting to see how the new rule changes (slicks, less aerodynamic flicks, KERS* etc) affect things. From this season's performance, I'm going to be backing Vettel (OK, so he's driving for RedBull next year...) Roll on 2009

*whilst chatting to my other half the other night I referred to this as KERMIT, don't know why but I quite like it

What an achievement and what a finale, I was shouting at Lewis, OK the TV, after Vettel overtook him "Aghhh, you've done it again!" without realising Toyota hadn't brought their drivers in for tyres and were loosing so much time in the last couple of laps, Whew!

I'm looking foreward to 2009 and won't it be great to watch next season's F1 without advertising breaks. We may even get presenters who are able to correctly pronounce the driver's names (Kubica, Vettel e.g.) and maybe even see the end of Grand Preeze

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Is he the best driver in Formula 1? Maybe. But at the moment if he is it's by 1 point out of 195 or one place over 20 races.
    He clearly shows he can drive the car fast, but the rest of his game is currently is lacking. Getting a lucky 5th in Brazil when he should have been 1st/2nd is poor by anyone standards and curtainly not playing it safe. The team plan clearly nearly lost him the title.

Lewis currently looses races he clearly should have won, while drivers like Alonso wins races with sub-standard car. IMHO Alonso is still the better driver like it or not!

I'm sure in a few years he will learn these skills and then we will see

Quote Originally Posted by ashenfie View Post
    He clearly shows he can drive the car fast, but the rest of his game is currently is lacking. Getting a lucky 5th in Brazil when he should have been 1st/2nd is poor by anyone standards and curtainly not playing it safe. The team plan clearly nearly lost him the title.

Lewis currently looses races he clearly should have won, while drivers like Alonso wins races with sub-standard car. IMHO Alonso is still the better driver like it or not!

I'm sure in a few years he will learn these skills and then we will see
    Seems like a bit of a petrolhead who just wants to drive really fast and doesnt think much about the wider picture. Maybe winning the Championship will make him think a bit more.

As regards Brazil i think that McLaren decided that racing with the Ferraris and Alonso was a bit risky so he was aiming for fourth. Problem with this plan is that if something does go wrong then you have less time to play with.

As regards the Toyota's sudden loss of time, as i understand it the track was getting wetter and wetter and on the last lap slick tyres had that little grip that it was very difficult to drive on them. It does look dodgy but if it did get that wet then it all seems quite credible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ashenfie View Post
    .... Getting a lucky 5th in Brazil when he should have been 1st/2nd is poor by anyone standards and curtainly not playing it safe. The team plan clearly nearly lost him the title.

Trying to go for first or second, would have put into contention with the two Ferraris and a possible wipe out

I think his team plan was to come fifth

And the plan worked

Well said, Philsmove, and it was an excellent plan, bearing in mind that they hadn't played their engine joker all season (bit of a tactical slip up there!), so Lewis was on his second race for that engine. Running on the limit for the full race against the Ferraris, both using new engines, would have seriously increased the chance of an engine failure. As it happened, the reason he ended up in 5th for most of the race was because they stayed out too long on wet tyres at the start of the race, not because of bad driving.

I would guess that they were running with the engine turned down slightly to protect it. They were also running lower downforce levels than the majority of the other cars to put less load on the engine, a fact that was obvious from their sector 2 times, which were generally a little slower than the Ferraris. This would have made the car much harder to drive in the wet than the rest of the pack, but would have reduced the risk of being overtaken in the dry, as the car would have been faster on the straights. From what I remember, the McLarens were the fastest through the speed traps by far!

They chose to run a conservative race on Sunday as there was no point increasing the risk of not finishing by going for the win, when all they needed was a fifth place finish. In the end, it paid off and made for a VERY exciting finish to the season!

Just had a big reception in the office for Lewis.. he drew up in his F1 car, revved the engine and made a speech. There's a press conference being filmed later in the canteen of all places.

I see he brought his PCD girlfriend with him too.. well she better not come anywhere near my computer in the IT office.. Only I get to push my buttons

Apparently this will be on TV later.. just turn down the brightness of the TV.. most of the staff are wearing the lurid "Rocket Red" victory t-shirts.. and by rocket red they actually mean Day glo orange !!

I did say most employees.. I didn't have mine with me

(one unused* Rocket red victory t-shirt for sale.. ;p )

*expects about 600 used ones to flood ebay any day now

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Just had a big reception in the office for Lewis.. he drew up in his F1 car, revved the engine and made a speech. There's a press conference being filmed later in the canteen of all places.

I see he brought his PCD girlfriend with him too...
    Good grief, how did he fit her in the car? Not on his lap, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Good grief, how did he fit her in the car? Not on his lap, surely?
    wouldn't be surprised.. he's tiny really. in fact when you see him on the TV screen he's almost lifesize

No somehow I don't think he drove all the way here in his F1 car... (considering it was parked in the office boulevard this morning )

was supposed to be attending the press conference at the moment but cannot be bothered.. especially when I was ushered out of the boulevard for not being orange enough

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I think his team plan was to come fifth
    And the plan worked
    Are you sure it was his team plan and not the work of god (well either god really bernie or max) just to get the tv ratings higher
    I know i am a bit of a cynic but look at the races where he goes from being completely brilliant to an also ran

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    are you sure ........:
    NO I am not

originally posted by philsmove
    i think ......

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    NO I am not
    yeah i know i am a cynic lol

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    ... I know i am a bit of a cynic but look at the races where he goes from being completely brilliant to an also ran
    It is the nature of the "at the limits" sport. Some of the opposition had similar performances, but most of them went from being also rans to also rans.

Where's Wally...

I'll give you a clue .. he's in the bottom right hand corner of the picture .. and more interested in checking his emails on his PDA than listening to Lewis Hamilton (thankfully NOT wearing a garish orange advertising billboard !)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll have the unused one if you don't want it Beo!

No I want it! Pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    I'll have the unused one if you don't want it Beo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    No I want it! Pleeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee!!!!!
    Well I was going to stick it onto Ebay .. along with the XP build team black polo shirt (unopened and not available in any shops/websites) and the McLaren the Cars Book as I thought they'd make someone a good X-mas gift. (the book in particular)

But if you want to make me a sensible offer I'd certainly seriously consider it.

here's a link to the T-shirt

Rocket Red Victory T-Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Well I was going to stick it onto Ebay .. along with the XP build team black polo shirt (unopened and not available in any shops/websites) and the McLaren the Cars Book as I thought they'd make someone a good X-mas gift. (the book in particular)
    Sorry to be a spoilsport Beo but I would be careful if you are thinking of putting stuff on ebay - could get you in trouble

We've got loads of RedBull F1 team gear which is far too good to bin but you're not allowed to sell it without risking your job. In fact I've got my team jumper on today

* oh hang on, you've handed in your notice...

Thread Information