Thread: Charity MJ free-style, Rugby, 7 November

Charity MJ free-style, Rugby, 7 November

Franck has kindly given me special permission to publicise an upcoming MJ charity free-style.

The event is taking place on Friday 7 November at The Benn Hall in Newbold Road, Rugby CV21 2DD from 7:00pm to midnight. This special free-style night is in aid of the Cotton Tree Children's Trust a small registered charity helping orphans and street children in Sierra Leone, one of Africa's poorest countries (for more information see New Page 2)

Benn Hall is a really nice venue with a great floor so it should be a good night's dancing for anyone in and around the midlands who isn't going to the Camber weekender. To add "interest" to the evening I will be DJ'ing for the whole night - yes, that's right, a whole 5 hours of music chosen by me so you can expect something a little bit different / interesting / strange / weird (take your pick!)

The event has been very well publicised so there should be a pretty good attendance. Doubtless there will be some who have never done MJ before so there will be an opportunity to wow them with an octopus. There will however also be some experienced dancers there so hopefully in the latter part of the evening I can play some tracks with more greater scope for musical interpretation and get into some blues room style stuff towards the end of the night.

Tickets for this charity night are £8 in advance (contact Colin 07736 712341 or Nikki 07890 811996) or £10 on the door.

I hope that some of you can make it.

Re: Charity MJ free-style, Rugby, 7 November

Right, I have now got some idea of what I intend to play at the free-style. It is a little difficult to plan things too rigidly because much is going to depend on the mix of dancers who attend on the night which is very difficult to prejudge for a charity event like this.

It is however pretty safe to say that I will be playing a mix of relatively up-tempo stuff for the first couple of hours or so including current and recent chart hits, a smattering of decent club hits, one or two MJ classics, some golden oldies and a bit of swing. Later in the evening I intend to mix things up more by introducing some more "challenging" and less familiar tracks along side some of the very best MJ floor fillers I can find. Ideally I would like the last hour or so to be pure blues room stuff but that will depend on there being enough dancers present who like this sort of thing.

One thing I can definitely promise is plenty of variety throughout the evening and no "euro-beat thump, thump, clubby dance mix tedium". Alongside the well known and hopefully well loved stuff there will also be some tracks you probably haven't heard before, but will hopefully enjoy dancing to.

Cool Re: Charity MJ free-style, Rugby, 7 November

Good luck with this Pete. Be sure to let us know how it went. Unfortunately due to work commitments we can't make it, but we'll be with you in spirit

Re: Charity MJ free-style, Rugby, 7 November

obviously due to distance and other commitments we wouldnt be able to make this anyway but i really hope it goes well for you

Thread Information