Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick or Treat?

Blog Entries

Re: Trick or Treat?

Oh i just thought about something.. On sunday, me scarface, twirlybird and stokie were having an early evening drink before Berko when these little kids came into the pub with masks on with a bowl out. We just thought they were sweet and gave them a few coppers but they then went around the pub trying to codge money out the punters with this big fat bar manager telling them quite sternly to get out.. he ended up chasing them around the pub....

Anyway, im thinking awww thats a bit harsh when all of a sudden out of these little ones mouths came...

" dont touch me ya big fat fuc5er" & word to that effect... they ran outside, into a white van and off they went.

Irish we think.

So it transpires they come in every night, do this cat and dog chase,. get some coppers and bugger off into their dads van and onto the next pub.

How awful is that.

Funny to watch though

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    I've just heard on the news that Long Eaton in Derby have thought of a way to keep the kids off the streets tonight - they are giving out free tickets to see the new James Bond film, Quantam of Solice.
    I used to go that exact cinema every week when a teenager, they never gave me any free tickets! (though we went as a group on a Tues night as it was half price)

Miss Pumpkin and Mr Spiderling are raring to go!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Love it!

I have a huge bowl of sweets ready and waiting by the front door.

I used to take my kids and any other kids who wanted to come with us and loved helping them with the dressing up and face paints etc.

All the kids who've ever knocked at my house, have always been extremely polite and no trouble at all!

I can't see why people get so upset about it? Its only one night a year!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Hate it.. I live on my own and can actually find it quite unsettling if large groups of teenagers come knocking on my door.. I make sure I am out most years... or ignore the front door - lights off, curtain closed, letter box taped up (just in case)

I did go trick and treating as a child but was only allowed to go to people's houses we knew and trusted... guess if i knew some families round near me i would oblige but most people round me don't have kids.

right.. off to get ready to go dancing and get outta here before the knocks start!

I'v only had one lot of childen at my door so far, and i'm going out at 6.30 anyway if they don't hurry up i'll have eaten all the sweats

It's extortion!

Last year and 4 years ago the front windows of my house were stoned, smashing several panes. In the incident 4 years ago, they also smashed the windows of my two elderly next door neighbours. The police didn't bother to attend on either occasion.

I've moved house this year.

Trick or treat for money is a new one for me.
    After having endured 12 years of of the pumpkin day in the states, I can safely say I have never given out sweets at my door.
    I'm just too cheap. If I had candy (and it would be the fairly expensive one, or milkchocolate from Norway ), you can bet I was be sitting in my livingroom eating it, and the porch light OFF!
    I think it's a horrible custom to have kids going around begging for candy.
    Don't know about here, but in the states they are very concerned about only accepting candy in sealed wrappers, and having an adult follow them around. The last few years have seen a trend of more organized parties so the kids don't have to walk from house to house.
    The little kids are usually pretty cute, but the teenagers are an absolute horror
    Yay for the sugar rush to follow

Here's my two youngest having a lovely time scaring all the grannies at the bingo in Caister.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No body last night Not one call

Have moved though and of the beaten track a bit

One year in Slough I gave cash out and had hundreds turning up (ok at least 50)

Year after, hardly anyone

Seems to vary year to year

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I can't see why people get so upset about it? Its only one night a year!
    Because not everyone has perfect little kids begging for food.

Some people see it as a chance to cause damage.

Last year I was out of the house and came back to the word "trick" spray painted on my front door.

In many countries, people teach thier kids to beg for food... does that need to happen everywhere?

I see it as, give me what I want, or I will "trick" ... trick being, not something nice.

More honest would be, I have some face paint on, my mum said this would be ok, to come knocking on your door and ask you for sweets.

If your mum is that hard up that she cannot give you sweets, happy to talk to her and help out, but to send a kid out to beg, is the last desperation.

[can you tell I am not an American]

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Its about performing for sweets - you don't get anything for just standing there at the door. Its also about meeting your neighbours.

Hate it!

Simon's daughter has to clean her window the day after Halloween, as some of the kids from School pelt them with eggs (it's not just their house by the way!). This happens year after year.....

I agree that the themed parties could be fun, but there does seem to be an element who just don't understand how menacing their actions can be.

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Its about performing for sweets - you don't get anything for just standing there at the door. Its also about meeting your neighbours.
    'Fraid I'm one of the yah boo sucks brigade.

Never did or saw it as a kid [Ahhhhhhh!]

I'd be ok with it if I knew the families and kids in the area.

I saw it this year ... with parent 'chaperoning' which makes sense for me.

At the end of the day, if it's done responsibly and with respect, I don't have a problem. As I'm not expecting anyone (cos there aren't kids that I know about in the area) ... anyone coming round would not be respecting me.

Furthermore, I don't really like the American roots. (Scottish) Guising seems to be a far more wholesome way of doing things [just read about it on Wiki] ... how come those north of the border seem to retain some
    decent civilised traditions that we, down south, have lost?? [personal opinion!! ]

I love it. I've taken my son trick or treating for the past 3 years and we have great fun. We then come home to wait for children to trick or treat at ours. Luckily we live in a nice community where at least 70% very much welcome trick or treaters and put out pumpkins and decorate their gardens. It's a shame some teenagers ruin the fun of halloween by scaring people with tricks. I never tricked anyone as a child and I would'nt allow my children to either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

Certainly guising as you describe it, is performing for sweets and meeting your neighbours, which sounds like fun.
    A bit like carol singers with makeup and pagan songs.

The thread however, was about "trick or treat", the problem being, what some visitors to ones property see as a "trick".

Some people see it as a chance to cause damage.

Last year I was out of the house and came back to the word "trick" spray painted on my front door.

In many countries, people teach thier kids to beg for food... does that need to happen everywhere?

I see it as, give me what I want, or I will "trick" ... trick being, not something nice.

More honest would be, I have some face paint on, my mum said this would be ok, to come knocking on your door and ask you for sweets.

If your mum is that hard up that she cannot give you sweets, happy to talk to her and help out, but to send a kid out to beg, is the last desperation.

[can you tell I am not an American]
    I'm not a fan of it - it's only the last 3-5 years that people in my neighbourhood have bothered to get into it - mostly to get free stuff. I usually make sure I'm out or just don't answer the door.
    This year most of those who knocked weren't being champeroned - even more reason not to answer the door.
    I grew up with the notion that Trick or Treating was an American thing... kinda like the hallmark events....

Blog Entries

Martin...

I dont send my kids out to Beg as you so lovingly put it.. i go with my 6 year old who is as excited as he is christmas day because other kids knock on the door and he sees the fun they are having so wot do you know.... he wants to do it as well. He loves handing out the sweets on the doorstep too. I would never let my kids go out on their own but get this straight my man...

I can afford to buy my kids sweeets.
    I do not beg.

This is something fun for them to do for an hour early evening and there are always people that dont like it but some get into the spirit of it and make it fun for them. There are always little oiks that ruin it for everybody but thats the same in everything that is done.

Exclamation Re: Trick or Treat?

Hazard warning!!
    So now Halloween is over, no more masked raiders trick or treating!

So now time for Begging stage II - Does anybody do 'Penny (thats a good un!) for the Guy' anymore?
    Then phase III starts about mid-November - The Carol singers!

TIme for another thread? I'm not starting it!!! (Chrismassy-type emoticon!!) Bah Humbug!!!!

Cool Re: Trick or Treat?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Funny to watch though
    Bloody hilarious to watch! I recall looking at scarface's 'did I just see what I thought I saw' expression - it must have matched mine !

Thread Information