Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick or Treat?

Blog Entries

Trick or Treat?

Well its that time of the year again and my six year old is excited at the prospect of dressing up, knocking on peoples's houses and getting some sweets for his goodie bag.

I have managed to get out of this this year and a school mum is doing it instead saves me freezing me cods off.

However, im interested. Are you somebody who gets into the spirit of it and help the kids enjoy their evening or are you somebody who hates it and doesn't answer the door etc etc.

Is trick or treat a pain in your a55 or do you love it.?

Re: Trick or Treat?

Front facing lights off; TV off; flat quiet.

I love it but will be out tonight so perhaps should leave something out if I remember !

I ignore it. In fact, most years I don't even realise that it's Halloween, and as I never did this as a kid, it never occurs to me to get anything in anyway.

Tonight we'll be out for part of the evening anyway - Beo's parents are coming to stay and we've got to collect them. Then keep them entertained all weekend

They do seem to have started early around our way this year though. Some little oik put superglue in our locks on Sunday morning

Hate it, and when we were kids we used to find it quite scary when kids/teenagers came round knocking at the door.

My mum doesn't agree with it (calling it begging with menaces - well, that tends to be from older kids who do the tricks), so refused to let us go out trick or treating. And she used to open the door to kids who came round, denying all knowledge of what they were asking ("trick or treat? Oh I'd love a treat") . Luckily they were all so confused that we never had any tricks played on us.

And now I live in the middle of nowhere so don't have to worry about kids coming round door to door (or anyone trying to sell/collect/preach etc).

We don't have kids so don't yet have to worry about them wanting to do it, although none of our nephews/nieces have yet started turning up so it may not be very big in the villages round by us.

I do think as long as kids only go to houses where they either know the people / see a sign like a pumpkin outside, it's fine, but don't like the fact that some just seem to go round everywhere. I wouldn't particularly want to be an elder person sat in the house on my own wondering who might come round next and what they might do if I didn't open the door.

stupid idea. I try and make sure I'm not in if I remember.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Is trick or treat a pain in your a55 or do you love it.?
    Well thats an American concept, and possible an English one if you experience it ! We get guising up here (and everyone wears a disguise), where you go round and do a song or a dance or some other form of entertainment and get something for doing it. Never heard anyone say "trick or treat" other than in films. I've not had any kids come round my door for years though, but perhaps we have not always been in - it certainly used to happen a lot when i was younger and i remember telling jokes at doors and getting sweeties I think people are more paranoid these days but i'd welcome more guisers at the door, it gives a great sense of community if at least your local children do it. By the way its going though, by the time my children are old enough, it'll be an archaic memory

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Well that's an American concept, and possible an English one if you experience it ! We get guising up here (and everyone wears a disguise), where you go round and do a song or a dance or some other form of entertainment and get something for doing it.
    you had to dress up, and tell a joke or a poem or sing a song and get a handful of sweets for your efforts. I used to love it as a kid.. would get enough sweets to last months afterwards.. Always in demand were the houses that made Tablet or Toffee Apples

these days it's more like organised mugging.. They ring your door bell .. yell "trick or treat" and you have to give them money. if you don't then you get your house egged or your locks super glued or something equally unpleasant and unsavoury

I used to guise with all my friends around our local areas when I was at Primary... We haven't had anyone much around my way since we all grew up, but I'm not against it - as long as the sweets are earned by song story or joke - as ours were.

Anyway I'm out to a party tonight to get scared that way

WT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    They do seem to have started early around our way this year though. Some little oik put superglue in our locks on Sunday morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    these days it's more like organised mugging.. They ring your door bell .. yell "trick or treat" and you have to give them money. if you don't then you get your house egged or your locks super glued or something equally unpleasant and unsavoury
    Must remember never to move where you guys live!

It used to be just halloween stuff with children coming round looking for money/sweets - before the 'trick or treat' idea - which still doesn't seem to be that widespread here.

As with many things, some children are just out to have fun, but some ruin it for the rest. One year I was home on my own, ill, so didn't answer the door. They took the gate off and hid it in the hedge of a neighbours (which we discovered after we'd reported it stolen to the police).

The idea of trick and treat is pretty stupid IMO. Teaching children that if they don't get what they want/demand its appropriate to do something unpleasant to the person? Yeah, great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    . They took the gate off and hid it in the hedge of a neighbours :

Sorry Lynn found this really funny

Trick or treat is a grate tradition in my neighborhood

Love it

We have used it as an occasion to get dressed up at work and the money collected goes to the Marie Curie Big Build, so I am at work in Fancy dress, some people have put a lot of effort in to it and we have a spooky buffet.

The kids round our way get dressed up and do a party trick, they are all accompanied by an adult or an older sibling, we don't have the trick bit either. The kids love it and it is a good way to meet the neighbours.

Honestly, you lot are such a bunch or miseries sometimes.

Look, you always will get the idiot teenagers, unaccompanied kids who are just out to cause a nuisance, etc, but generally its all good natured and my kids absolutely love dressing up and going out with their trick or treat buckets.

We only ever knock on doors of people who have made an effort to decorate the house, or at least put a pumpkin in the window.

We are not trick or treating this year as at Haven Holiday Park in Caister so the kids are going to a "Fun stars Fancy Dress" party tonight instead. I can't wait.

Exclamation Re: Trick or Treat?

Trick or Treat is American through and through, not English and has only been here for about 10 years. and is just begging usually with menaces.
    Where else could you encourage kids to go around knocking on strangers doors and terrorising innocent people into giving them money for explosives!!
    Halloween always just came and went before then!

I did actually hear something today that would encourage me to join in - Brussel sprouts covered in chocolate sauce - A treat for me and a trick on them

However after many years of escaping these pint-sized b...eggars, I think I will have to endure it for a few minutes tonight as my lovely Genevieve and her daughter do not agree with my opinions and apparently encourage it.

However on a plus point - we went out to a hallowen -themed rock and roll night on Monday, and it was like walking into another world with the effort that the organisers had put into decorating it, so I suppose that has to be as a result of the increased popularity imported from the States!

I've just heard on the news that Long Eaton in Derby have thought of a way to keep the kids off the streets tonight - they are giving out free tickets to see the new James Bond film, Quantam of Solice.

That should keep them amused for a couple of hours - then they will just be terrorising everyone as normal on the way home. or they could always bolt the doors till midnight.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    they are giving out free tickets to see the new James Bond film, Quantam of Solice.

That should keep them amused for a couple of hours - then they will just be terrorising everyone as normal on the way home.
    Nah, after watching Bond they'll be all hyped up and full of new ideas about how to terrorise everyone 007-style.

I think it is rather nasty to ask for a treat or you will potentially cause damage to the fabric of someones house.

My son suggested this year to have a few egg and flour bombs ready, and go for "trick" and throw the bombs at the little trouble makers.

I talked him out of it (but I was not sure he had not got prepared anyway), and we only had one lot come round - I let him answer the door, and I was supprised when he politely said he had no sweets for them. I was expecting WW3.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post

Sorry Lynn found this really funny
    We'll be round later to take part of your house apart then...

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    However after many years of escaping these pint-sized b...eggars, I think I will have to endure it for a few minutes tonight as my lovely Genevieve and her daughter do not agree with my opinions and apparently encourage it.

However on a plus point - we went out to a hallowen -themed rock and roll night on Monday, and it was like walking into another world with the effort that the organisers had put into decorating it, so I suppose that has to be as a result of the increased popularity imported from the States!
    It's a shame we've only got a couple of hours before we go out tonight....but we are going to make the most of it.

Be prepared for the 8ft inflatable witch on the drive when you get back tonight!!

.....and yes, Monday was a fantastic night, well done to Spring Vale

Thread Information