Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much makes you rich (and how would you spend it?)

How much makes you rich (and how would you spend it?)

Following on from the "Poor" thread and finding out how much Jonathan Ross earns I wonder how much you have to earn/win/inherit to feel rich these days. Presumably JR would have to send food parcels to a lottery "millionaire"?
    Personally, if I won a million I would have to spend it very quickly before the guilt set in. I did once stay with a French woman who kept a bottle of champagne on the go in the fridge (it is a start).

So how much would you need - and how would you spend it?

Blog Entries

Re: How much makes you rich (and how would you spend it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    So how much would you need - and how would you spend it?
    I know it's really cheesy and cringe-worthy, but just knowing that I have a partner who loves me and my kids are all healthy and doing well at school is enough for me.
    At the mo I have enough to pay the bills and treat us all occasionally and I can honestly say that the only part about being a millionaire that would make me happier would be being able to give up work and spend more time with my loved ones.

I would post more, but I'm taking the Lambourghini to get some more caviar and champers as the butler's on holiday.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    {pass the sick bucket }
    Me? I would spend it on beer, buy out Ceroc and replace all the teachers with strip club dancers and turn the forum in to a hippy commune to please David Baily.

£2 million would allow me to buy a house, replace my car, and live on the interest comfortably for the rest of me life.

£3 million would allow me to give a few hundred grand to me favourite family members.

I know it's really cheesy and cringe-worthy, but just knowing that I have a partner who loves me and my kids are all healthy and doing well at school is enough for me.

I totally agree with this.

When it comes to money I have always been someone who believes that you will always want more than you have. Im sure there is probably a limit where you have more that you can spend (all these billionaires etc) but for the mainstream I think you will always spend to your limit and leave yourself wanting more! Thats just human nature.

The recent reports have highlighted people in such sectors as finance. Some of the hedge managers interviewed were saying that they work 16 hour days sometimes. Ok they get paid millions and millions but what kind of life is that.

Now I am not saying I wouldn't like someone to give me a few million quid but what I have now with regard to a wonderful relationship and comfortable life is worth it's weight in gold to me.

Two ways to be rich

One: have a lot of money

Two: not need a lot of money

Macros finest bubbly is not quite up to Pol Roger Black Label, but trust me, is OK with the cornflakes for Breakfast

Income £1 expenditure £1.10 = misery

Income £1 expenditure 99p = happiness

Blog Entries

At the mo I have enough to pay the bills and treat us all occasionally and I can honestly say that the only part about being a millionaire that would make me happier would be being able to give up work and spend more time with my loved ones.

I would post more, but I'm taking the Lambourghini to get some more caviar and champers as the butler's on holiday.
    Somebody pass me the crackers....

For goodness sakes.....(dont worry im only fed up cause you beat me to it on the luvvie duvvie cheese stakes.)

yes we all know we all love our loved one and we all know we would love to not have to go to work anymore but wounld't ya love to wake up and know you can buy what you want, when you want for who you want as well as have all that...... rolling around in approximately 20 million would do it for me. Im not greedy.

Trouble is... money tends to ruin all that you had before it came along.

The thrill of my first wage packet in a small brown envelope (Saturday job) - nothing has ever been quite the same since (financially!)

BTW - if I came into money I would love to have Rachel as my accountant !

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

Trouble is... money tends to ruin all that you had before it came along.

I don't think a tramp would be overly worried about that.

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Two ways to be rich

One: have a lot of money

Two: not need a lot of money

Macros finest bubbly is not quite up to Pol Roger Black Label, but trust me, is OK with the cornflakes for Breakfast

Income £1 expenditure £1.10 = misery

Income £1 expenditure 99p = happiness
    Methinks Charles Dickens got there before you

In David Copperfield, Mr. Micawber says: “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.”

So we are just rehashing very old news (oh well no change there then )

Personally I consider that I'm rich in Health, Friendship, Laughter and Memories. I have a roof over my head, food on the table and I can keep myself warm... By global standards I (and all of us on this message board - as we have regular access to computers) are within the top 2% [I think the figure is ] of the richest people in the world.

Cheers Whitetiger
    Last edited by whitetiger1518; 31st-October-2008 at 11:44 AM.

These days, I have enough for what I need. There was a time when that wasn’t so, and it wasn’t much fun. So I’m content financially, and emotionally too – that’s what having Beo in my life means

The trouble with money is that the more money you have, the more you want. So say you decide to buy a new TV. You can easily afford the one at £300, but the one at £500 just does those few extra things that you don’t really need, and is supposedly “better quality”. But then there is another one at £700 that again is just that little bit better… and so it goes on. If you are a multi-millionaire, you don’t want a TV, you want the home cinema system, but should it be the one at £10k or the one at £15k (or whatever – no idea how much they cost!) It’s called “the consumer society” and it’s one aspect of what drives capitalism.

I was having a conversation with some colleagues the other day. I work in the City, and one of our fund managers and his team have been made redundant. He was snappy with someone here on the phone, he sounded stressed. It’s a fairly well known fact that his family has “old money” and that his wife earns more than he does. They are extremely well off financially speaking. Yet I suspect that having lost his job, he isn’t happy, is worried about money (as presumably they have the lifestyle to match the income – which in turn has generated jobs for other people) although they will have no trouble putting food on the table, and is anxious that he may not get another job for a year or two due to the contraction in the sector. By my standards this guy is rich, even without his income from his job, but I doubt that he’s feeling it right now. Stressed and unhappy is how he feels I suspect. And yes, despite the fact that he’s richer than I’ll ever be, I feel sorry for him right now.

I was having a conversation with some colleagues the other day. I work in the City, and one of our fund managers and his team have been made redundant. He was snappy with someone here on the phone, he sounded stressed. It’s a fairly well known fact that his family has “old money” and that his wife earns more than he does. They are extremely well off financially speaking. Yet I suspect that having lost his job, he isn’t happy, is worried about money (as presumably they have the lifestyle to match the income – which in turn has generated jobs for other people) although they will have no trouble putting food on the table, and is anxious that he may not get another job for a year or two due to the contraction in the sector. By my standards this guy is rich, even without his income from his job, but I doubt that he’s feeling it right now. Stressed and unhappy is how he feels I suspect. And yes, despite the fact that he’s richer than I’ll ever be, I feel sorry for him right now.[/quote]

sounds like he's going to learn a good lesson, which will make him all the richer.
    just going to climb onto my soap box, aagh, oh, huh - there you go...
    apparently we are coming to the end of the age (2012), we are & have for the last few hundred years, been living in the age of vanity. ain't that the truth!
    most of us have all we need & are rich.

If I won the lottery, no one would know about it, until I decided who deserved to know - (Mind you I wouldn't mess about trying to find a belt - I'd buy a new vacuum cleaner!!)

I've got used to living in poverty, so a few more weeks wouldn't make any difference (That was until a few months ago anyway! )
    So I think I could make a considered decision about who would benefit, and there are some who most definately would not (There are reasons, but not for this forum) and I would have great pleasure in telling them so!

There would obviously be several beneficiaries, including 'some' of my immediate family, and a certain youth group in my locality! but gold diggers need not apply.

As for what I would spend it on....I haven't got the foggiest!

I once worked out that about £2 million would be enough to live on comfortably without working. Keep a million in the bank, which even at only 5% interest would give you an annual salary of £50,000, and spend a million of a nice house, car, family, etc...

I saw in a news paper recently some boffin had done the same calculation and determined that £3 million was what a typical bloke would want to feel comfortable, but the typical woman would only require £2 million. The difference was the guy would want to buy flashy cars, bigger house(s), etc.

Now that I think about it, he's right! I do need £3 million. Any offers?

I'm happy with what I've got now though.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

My only wish in life is to have enough money not to have to worry about money. Unfortunatly I married, so that's not going to happen

To me, "rich" would mean I could buy one thing or go to one event without balancing it against something I am depriving myself or my kids from. Having enough money that the only constraints on doing things would be time.

{ this is a depressing thread, isn't it.}

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    that’s what having Beo in my life means
    Beo in your life ? Buy a deodorant

The trouble with money is that the more money you have, the more you want. So say you decide to buy a new TV. You can easily afford the one at £300, but the one at £500 just does those few extra things that you don’t really need, and is supposedly “better quality”. But then there is another one at £700 that again is just that little bit better… and so it goes on.
    Do many people really think like that ? Ive always attempted to get value for money in everything - the TVs we have are the best value for money - good refresh rate, contrast ratio, size etc.. because i did the research. I could get 'better' by doubling the money i paid - but why? they do everything i need. If you through money at something without research, all you get is something that costs too much.

If you are a multi-millionaire, you don’t want a TV, you want the home cinema system, but should it be the one at £10k or the one at £15k (or whatever – no idea how much they cost!) It’s called “the consumer society” and it’s one aspect of what drives capitalism.
    Well yes, there are always people who pay for cutting edge stuff - and not necessarily rich people. Keeping up with the Jones syndrome. Its stupid though don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    If you are a multi-millionaire, you don’t want a TV, you want the home cinema system, but should it be the one at £10k or the one at £15k (or whatever – no idea how much they cost!) .

Apparently Six million dollars

Kipnis home cinema, the world's most expensive home-cinema | Oddity Central

Poor old Jonathan Ross would have to work for a year to buy one

Talking Re: How much makes you rich (and how would you spend it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

Well yes, there are always people who pay for cutting edge stuff - and not necessarily rich people. Keeping up with the Jones syndrome. Its stupid though don't you think?
    I think there is some truth in this - Because of the type of work that I do, Unfortunately I have always been first in the queue when redundancies crop up, and subsequently I have had several spells of unemployment - but through necessity I have learned to 'live within my means' and like now, in full employment, although I am earning a pittance by most standards I am fairly comfortable (well there are other reasons - like contentment and ..)
    The point is I have no credit cards, debts or loads - yet a certain member of my family who is earning at least double what I am - regularly, is in much more financial difficulty because of credit cards and loans. In his case the 'Keeping up with the Joness' or 'doing better than the Jones' in some cases has in the long run, hurt his fairly substantial wallet much more than my relatively lean one.
    (There is one emoticon I could easily use now, but I won't!)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Apparently Six million dollars

Kipnis home cinema, the world's most expensive home-cinema | Oddity Central

Poor old Jonathan Ross would have to work for a year to buy one
    no he wouldn't, he gets paid about 6 million pounds a year

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

For quite a few years, I have had to watch the pennies as I have never earned a big wage, so a few months back I came into a little bit of money from a uncle who died in Ireland who never married or left a will so a few cousins of mine and me got a nice sum which enable me to treat my daughters,grandson and I to a holiday abroad,a dance holiday plus pay a large sum of my mortgage and a credit off, and the rest in savings to maybe go away to NZ in the new year for a year or some improvements on the house, but it gives me nice feeling now not to worry this winter and I can look forward to xmas this year to spoil my grandson, so yes it has brought me contentment along with having good health.

Thread Information