Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daventry last night pips

Daventry last night pips

Well come on""""

Pull your proverbial fingers out and get posting.

Bunch of slack jawed faggotts!!! The lot of you

Re: Daventry last night pips

Yes Sir, sorry sir....

Last night at Daventry was an excellent night. Marc and Rachel were I thought both really on form delivering top notch music in the blues room and, although I spent little time in the main room, Rod Ambridge always plays a wider variety of music than most main room DJ's. The lighting in the blues room was also spot on.

There was a veritable host of top notch dance partners present so I was truly spoilt for choice. Had some particularly memorable dances with Maja (fabulous dress,wonderfully elegant and totally charming) Trouble (sexy as ever and a whole lot of dirty fun) and Freya (just simply awesome). Lots of other great dances during the night but not going to run through a long list of names.

The only slight downside was that I was slightly tired so ran out of energy at 2:00 am but by that time I had managed at least one dance with almost all my favourite partners who were there. Especially good to see those who travelled quite a distance to be at this event but I think it was worth the journey judging by all the happy faces I saw. Special thanks to anyone who danced with my friend Elwyn who has only been doing MJ for a couple of months and was getting in at the deep end in the blues room.

Ummm.. Only just got up Dave!

Had a really really good night, only went in the blues room and stayed there all night, great to see people from all over the country. For some reason I had a much better time that at Friday's Utopia. Marc and Rachel played great sets as usual and I'm looking forward to some more of that tonight at Berko.

I love the Daventry events, and actually that fact that they are only every 3 months makes them more special, with people making an effort to get there that they wouldn't do every month.

i'v posted on the who's going where tread

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Daventry last night

OK then, in traditional style...

Good:
    • Music. Many good tracks in the Blues Room from Marc & Rachel, but I also liked what I heard of Rob's music in the main room.
    • Dancers. I was pleasantly surprised by how many dancers had come from so far away - I had several cracking dances.
    • Lighting in the Blues Room - as usual Marc seems to have brought loads of lights and presumably spent lots of time setting them up.
    • Position of DJ in the Blues Room. I don't know why anyone didn't think of this before - by moving the DJ desk along into a corner, it made more usable space on the dancefloor
    • Online booking system. This had a promotion where the 1st 100 people could buy a ticket at £8, the next 100 a ticket at £9 etc., up to a maximum of £11 (still significantly less than the £15 door price). I got my ticket for £8, which is cheaper than a bog-standard freestyle within Ceroc Central.

Bad:
    • The cabaret: I've seen much of the same routines, done much more slickly, at past Daventrys. I left the room when the "Elvis" singer came on.
    • The theme: Even if I'd wanted to come in fancy dress, I didn't know what I'd wear. Judging by the number of people who came in fancy dress, I wasn't the only one.
    • The Gents' toilets where the lights would suddenly go out, plunging the room into darkness at inconvenient moments

The strange:
    • There were two separate video streams being projected onto 3 sides of the main room. Fair enough if they fit the theme, but how did Kenny Everett and Captain Pugwash relate to "Ceroc'n'Roll"?

Overall I had a fab night. The best Daventrys are almost on a par with a good dance weekender, and, for me, this was one of those. As Mr Darcy says, part of the reason they're special is that they're quarterly - if they were too frequent, they wouldn't be as good.

(Health and Safety devotees would also be pleased that there were battery-powered "candles" in the Blues Room. )
    Love dance, will travel

Came late and left a little early, but still had an excellent night. Missed most of you, I'm afraid - fletch, I owe you a dance next time out paths cross - but had a fabulous dance with Twirlie Bird, which has to be the best I've ever blues danced thus far, and a nice if too-brief dance with Steven666. Was also grabbed by a number of ladies whom I didn't recognise, so if that was any of you, you were lovely too.

Tried to lavish most of my attention otherwise on my lovely girlfriend and partner Sophie (aka "blueberry" on here, although like me she doesn't post much), it being her birthday on Wednesday. Had a large number of fabulous dances with her in the blues room. Both of us have come on a long way in terms of bluesy confidence and interpretation, and as ever, the blues room is an inspiration and an education, and certainly the place to be.

All in all, a good night and well worth the discounted price paid (that was a neat feature, as David points out above).

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Overall I had a fab night. The best Daventrys are almost on a par with a good dance weekender, and, for me, this was one of those. As Mr Darcy says, part of the reason they're special is that they're quarterly - if they were too frequent, they wouldn't be as good.
    That's good to hear although I was pretty that I couldn't make it. I haven't made Daventry since last October due to conflicting events

My conflicting event last night finished at 11pm and I almost came along but I was worn out from Utopia the night before and didn't fancy the drive on my own

Maybe the next one....

Really enjoyed Daventry.. it was one of them nights when before I realised it, it was home time

Good

Dancing with lots of my favourite dancers
    Seeing some familiar faces who aren't normally at Daventry

Bad

Bar closing at 1 meaning that only drink available was water ... and the vending machine eating my pound coin when all I wanted was a pint of coke

Ugly

The rain on the way home on the M1

Overall a fantabulous night.. always worth the journey for

First time for me in the blues room really enjoyed the experience...

Big thanx to all the lovely ladies that danced with me you all made it look so easy.

Sorry cant remember the names but you know who you are.

Stoke Bloke and Twirly Bird great company and good to get to know you...Sorry you didnt get to see King Harold the breakfast was better anyway...

See you all at Camber i hope Trouble big thanx to you also you know why---just keep teaching me those sexy moves you do so easy..LLLK XX.

Scarface out....

Blog Entries

I only took a few pics at Daventry, was dancing far too much to take many.

They are on my albums if ya fancy a look.

Great night except bar shut too early.

Scarface... all i can say is and Camba, here we come. Blues and you are like peas and carrots. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    That's good to hear although I was pretty that I couldn't make it. I haven't made Daventry since last October due to conflicting events

My conflicting event last night finished at 11pm and I almost came along but I was worn out from Utopia the night before and didn't fancy the drive on my own

Maybe the next one....
    Well the next one is just after Christmas and I for one will almost certainly be giving it a miss - why?

- entry is always over priced (the tickets normally cost several pounds more than a normal Daventry free styles but you don't get anything extra).
    - there often isn't a proper bar so you can only buy horribly over priced small bottles of water and a very limited range of other drinks.
    - it is usually more thinly attended than the other free-styles here.
    - Pre Christmas do's are generally more fun IMO.

I will certainly try not to miss any of the others though so for me the next one will be March / April time.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    - entry is always over priced (the tickets normally cost several pounds more than a normal Daventry free styles but you don't get anything extra).
    Book online in Oct and it's only £11 though . . .

goes up to £12 if you book in Nov by the looks of it

"Only £11" if you book on-line two months ahead. The free style last Saturday was £8 for the first 100 tickets, then £9 for the next 100 (which is what I paid). Kinda makes my point really.

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    "Only £11" if you book on-line two months ahead. The free style last Saturday was £8 for the first 100 tickets, then £9 for the next 100 (which is what I paid). Kinda makes my point really.
    I agree with you, we have stop going because of the price policy, not everyone has a pc, I only use the one at work and can't book online, and why should I. I would like to pay a fair price and not high prices they charge now. A group of us went to Solihull last sat, I was not expecting much but it was only £4 to get in and I was not driving plus it was a social night with my friends. As it turned out it was a fab night, the music was great the dj played sets of 3-4 tracks of the same style then change it, I don't know who it was, but I did chat to other people who I expected to be at Daventry and they said the same thing about not wanting to pay them prices anymore.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

To stop going to Daventry on principle would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face as it's the nearest MJ venue to where I live

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    To stop going to Daventry on principle would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face as it's the nearest MJ venue to where I live
    I understand for you it being your local, but for us the increase of petrol and we live about 30 miles away, it works out a expensive night. It was my other friends who decided a while back to stop going, not me but I am happy to go along with it.

I have always thought Ceroc events are overpriced, even the normal weekly lessons - OK I appreciate that teachers and DJs have to be paid, but I've never understood why freestyles cost more when there are less overheads (teachers!)

As Genevieve and I are no longer interested in lessons (I've forgot so many good moves that I've learned over the years, why learn some more!) Subsequently we find that around £7 for about hour and a half dancing is not really vfm anymore especially as we frequently pay LESS than that for 5 hours of our favourite music all night, including a group that plays two sets, over two hours of LIVE music.

Like I've said many times, thats the 'price' you have to pay when you have to pay wages!

However, I will say we do miss the social element at Ceroc/MJ nights sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Jivejunkie View Post
    I have always thought Ceroc events are overpriced, even the normal weekly lessons - OK I appreciate that teachers and DJs have to be paid, but I've never understood why freestyles cost more when there are less overheads (teachers!)...
    I wouldn't bank on there being less (fewer) overheads - even if they're not always obvious. Just things like coffees/teas/cakes etc can add up. Use of the kitchen facilities ... Even things like buying extra loo roll, which I do for Rugby freestyles, cos I'm never convinced the venue won't run out ...

But more often than not, the BIGGEST extra is the increased cost of the hall hire on a Friday or Saturday night. In some cases prohibitively so.

All the same, I can see that £7 for 90 minutes dancing is not value for money. But the more usual £9 for 4 hours isn't too bad, I think.

Rachel

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have always thought Ceroc events are overpriced, even the normal weekly lessons -
    Not really - they're competitive with other dance events and classes, at the least.

For example, I know of one AT teacher in Central London, where you can spend £25 on classes in a night. Now, OK, that's 3 classes, and she's a good teacher, but there's no freestyle or anything.
    OK I appreciate that teachers and DJs have to be paid, but I've never understood why freestyles cost more when there are less overheads (teachers!)
    Freestyles often do have classes (fun classes) at the start.

Also, venue costs for weekends are usually higher, as are staff costs - people may want to be paid more for working on a Saturday night than on a weekday.

Also, freestyles may go on for longer.

Ceroc (and MJ in general) venues tend to have higher base overheads than other dance forms; so whilst they pull in more punters than (say) your average salsa night, they also have more costs. So, in fact, your average all-in-one salsa organiser might make more money out of a night than your average franchisee.

As a more general point, almost no-one in dance (anywhere) is making big bucks out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    and we live about 30 miles away
    That's practically next door...

Thread Information