Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late night driving after dancing

Late night driving after dancing

Aye aye sport fans here we go again then.

Went to Daventry last night and it is about an hour's drive there and back. Now we all know the drive there is mostly all good, being fuelled by excitment and anticipation of the dancers in attendance etc etc etc.

Now the drive back can sometimes be a nightmare, as I am tired and fatigued and in control of a car in, franckly not my best frame of mind, as I am usually pooped.

last night I felt the God of sleep approaching as the main room closed and I said to Batgirl and Mini Mac, time to go as in a while I will be very tired.

Now I take Batgirl and Mini Mac to a fair few venue's and therefore accept responsibility for their lives whilst in the car.

Last night was a late finish so I implemented a few strategies to help me stay alert whilst driving back.

We took a flask of tea and a flask of hot chocolate for the return journey, and let me tell you pips, they really work in maintaining your levels of alertness whilst tired. Chocolate biscuits and bars of chocolate were also included for the return journey.

Now we all aware of the terrible accident just of late with Robin and Tezi, we all drive home late at night in a reduced level of alertness, I was interested if you have any strategies that we can all share to make this journey safer for everyone who dances?

Lets face it there are a lot of drivers on the road who think nothing of having a few pints then driving on the roads at the same time as we are going home from dancing. As happened to Robin and Tezi.
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 26th-October-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Commercial Operator

Re: Late night driving after dancing

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I was interested if you have any strategies that we can all share to make this journey safer for everyone who dances?
    I used to spend at least 6 hours a week driving to and from venues. Then I woke up and smelt the coffee. It was costing me a fortune in fuel and wear and tear and it was leaving me tired for work or other leisure activities. I analysed why I was travelling so far when there were classes 15 minutes away. It was for the better lessons and the better partners.

The first thing I did was an experiment. I threw a party for our favourite partners in our local village hall. Hall hire cost less than I'd spend on fuel to go to London and I left home later and got home earlier - even though I had to set up and take down the hall.

A month later I threw another party in the same venue for Sue's birthday. Again it was a great relief to not have to travel long-distance for a decent dance.

Then I started my own nights. All 15 minutes from home or less. I get to choose the music and love what I do.

So, my answer is stop driving those huge distances and find something to like locally.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Went to Daventry last night and it is about an hour's drive there and back.
    I didn't go to Dav last night, specifically because I was worried about the drive home.

Many of you might remember, my parents had a horrific accident 3 years ago, when my Dad fell asleep at the wheel. They were on their way back from the airport, having just had a wonderful holiday in Cuba. They were only 15 minutes from home and I think my Dad must have suddenly felt relaxed, as he knew that leg of the journey well.

Thankfully, they are both OK now but its served as a huge lesson to me.

I know my limits, I'm a competent driver but I also know that, 'me, tiredness and motorways' don't mix.

All too often in the past, I've had those extremely scary 'long blinks' and I now know, its just not worst taking the risk!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The Dashing Moderator

What Car did a story on this, about a year ago, comparing the effects of drunk-driving vs tired-driving.
    See link here. It's a little short on detail, but it does show that someone who's lost sleep has similar reaction times to someone who's over the alcohol limit.

Also it shows that if you've had only a few hours sleep (and how many of us have done that after Sunday night/Monday morning at a weekender?) your driving is still impaired in the morning.
    Love dance, will travel

dont know if its why but having been a mobile service engineer for a living i can power nap ie have ten mins when i feel the tiredness come on then be on our way again
    i will often drive almost an hour to a venue and drive home alert as i am usually still high from the adrenaline of the evening if the drive is longer i will power nap somewhere on the way home
    or take someone else who can share the driving

At the moment the events I go to tend to be within an hours drive and midnight latest end so not too late. Several of us try to share lifts and I generally find that the chatter and being on a high prevents too much tiredness. It's when I'm in the car on my own that it becomes a problem - then I have window's wide open, music on (good singing music) and water to drink.

After a weekender is more of a problem as there's the lack of sleep for the whole weekend and a longer journey. Again, it's making sure we try and share lifts, and stop regularly if it's a really long journey.

But for me, it's usually work socials that I'm more tired on as those I'm in the car on the way home having wound down, whereas after dancing I'm usually bright and awake - even when I get home late I still find I need half hour before actually going to bed.

It's definitely something to think about though if I'm going further afield, especially if it's on my own.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Several of us try to share lifts and I generally find that the chatter and being on a high prevents too much tiredness. It's when I'm in the car on my own that it becomes a problem

after dancing I'm usually bright and awake - even when I get home late I still find I need half hour before actually going to bed.
    Me too but weirdly there's something about motorways, particularly stretches with no lights, that make me suddenly get very sleepy
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I always have a travelling companion, one that doesn't go to sleep on the way home. I spend the entire journey home chatting - keeps me awake, even if my companion doesn't listen

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I drive approx 38,000 miles a year and regularly travel 35-40 miles to a venue for a great nights dancing.

Last saturday I did a 150 mile round trip from Swindon to Bookham's Jag Jive and back....my tips are upbeat music, setting the car's ventilation to cool and having a spare can of red bull and a bar of chocolate in the car A fellow dancer to go over the night's events on the way back can also help, be it laughing about the great dances or whinging about the music!! (Mr McGregor we did not do that last saturday!!).

Martingold's tip about a quick 10-minute nap is also a good idea, I do this all the time on the road when working in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel_Warminster View Post

Martingold's tip about a quick 10-minute nap is also a good idea, I do this all the time on the road when working in the field.
    So a quick nap on the road whilst working in the field?

you are not a Hedgehog. are you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    i will often drive almost an hour to a venue and drive home alert as i am usually still high from the adrenaline of the evening
    Yup. When I was driving lots to venues, it was the same for me. I actually welcomed the drive home as a kind of a wind-down, if you like. The only problem came if I'd had a bad night and was feeling flat - that's when the tiredness sometimes kicked in.

• Get plenty of sleep before hand. 3AM finish is much easier if you've slept in, or had a nap in the afternoon

• Make sure your car isn't too comfortable (particularly for the driver).

• As with drinking have a designated driver, who does rest beforehand, (or for a weekender doesn't dance on Monday morning)

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    After a weekender, is more of a problem as there's the lack of sleep for the whole weekend and a longer journey. Again, it's making sure we try and share lifts, and stop regularly if it's a really long journey.
    On the other hand you generally have a choice, whether to drive or not, which is less likely with distant freestyles.

If you should choose not to dance Sunday night / Monday morning you haven't lost a big proportion of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel_Warminster View Post
    ........ a quick 10-minute nap is also a good idea, I do this all the time on the road when working in the field.
    Trouble is you can't take that nap on motorway hard shoulders - you have to be 'off road' or a service station - not always convenient when your tiredness hits you on the M25

Chocs, drinks, cold air, loud music and windows open - only helps me for a about 5 mins - still think the "awake" companion is the best option.

Most dancing travelling companions have asked for a lift and therefore, I think it is selfish, and bad manners for them to sleep on a long journey home (unless you say it is OK of course)

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Trouble is you can't take that nap on motorway hard shoulders - you have to be 'off road' or a service station - not always convenient when your tiredness hits you on the M25

Chocs, drinks, cold air, loud music and windows open - only helps me for a about 5 mins - still think the "awake" companion is the best option.

Most dancing travelling companions have asked for a lift and therefore, I think it is selfish, and bad manners for them to sleep on a long journey home (unless you say it is OK of course)
    I found that the easiest way to cure that one, was to go with someone you hadn't seen for ages - so much catching up to do, there wasn't time for sleep!....eh Min?

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    I found that the easiest way to cure that one, was to go with someone you hadn't seen for ages - so much catching up to do, there wasn't time for sleep!....eh Min?
    You make a fab travelling companion Gojive, look forward to travelling with you again

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    [LIST]Get plenty of sleep before hand. 3AM finish is much easier if you've slept in, or had a nap in the afternoon.

I have to confess to taking a siesta, if I have a late night ahead

I have also down graded the car, so any driver insurance, does not cost an arm and a leg

It's a least a 200 mile round trip from here to any other freestyle night, often nearer 300 miles, and takes 2.5-4 hours driving, each way. With parties finishing at 1am, we're not back until about 3.30-4am.

I'm not good driving that late at night, but generally, if going, we get a car full of people. Fortunately there are several people who are 'night' people, and they are usually happy to drive. The rest of us chat away, or occasionally fall asleep, if that's acceptable!

Then it's a long-lie in the next morning!

Don't even get me started on weekenders...

I once heard that an apple is better at keeping you awake than a cup of coffee.

Thank God it is only a hobby aye!!!

I mean can you see whats written...
    Driving hundreds of miles, downgrading your car, for cheaper insurance for any driver???

Is this not an infliction?

And all of this is the norm??????

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    I once heard that an apple is better at keeping you awake than a cup of coffee.
    It must be all that chomping.
    Remind me to pack some Granny Smiths next time then.

Thread Information