Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownies - yes or no?

Re: Brownies - yes or no?

Oh I forgot - next year (Or is 2010) will be a great time to be a member of the Guiding movement - it celebrates it's Centenary!

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    We are going to get a goldfish and name it God. Now happy for her to declare her love for her pet goldfish 'God'.
    Goldfish aren't always the most long-lived of creatures. If she turns up at Brownies and announces that "God is Dead" it may provoke some interesting discussions...
    Love dance, will travel

Lxx

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
    My daughter has just asked about joining The Rainbows.

I am an ex-Brownie myself and loved it. I would love Lauren to also enjoy this experience. I am, however, concerned with the Brownie Promise (which has been changed/adapted over the years).

She will have to recite that she loves her God. (Santa springs to mind again)

Can't we get away from this? Children are exposed to this enough.
    She already refers to the nativity she did last year in school as "The Jesus Show" (Don't get me started on this one!!!) She is 6 years old by the way. And before you comment, we keep our feelings on religion away from our children.

Which begs my question, should I put up and shut up and let her have fun with her mates? I think I have just answered my own question.
    It just angers me.

But would appreciate some advice from anyone else who is in a similar situation.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x
    I respect Lorna's integrity in trying not to appear hypocritical.

At face value it is difficult for some-one with strong 'beliefs' (if I can use that word?!) to then go against them, especially with your own daughter. Suggestions along the lines of, 'It doesn't really matter, just do it for the good of being part of Brownies', may not solve the philosophical problem?

One possibility may be to help Lauren understand that one of the aims of the organisation is to help Brownies do good, not bad, and that the word 'god' is probably being used to help people work towards 'good' rather than bad. In this context a 'god' could perhaps be described to Lauren as 'that which has most importance in a person's life.' Something so important that it is 'worshipped'... ie 'given worth to' by people. This could be a set of values... or a person.... or a supernatural entity... or a combination. Perhaps you could explain to Lauren (using simpler terms than I've used above) about these differences, and what you yourselves 'give worth to'. In the course of this you can say that you do not believe in a supernatural 'god' but that there are other things that you think are really important to live for. Then ask Lauren what she thinks are the most important things in her life... (it may even be the goldfish!... but I would imagine even for a 6 year old there are more 'worthy' contenders!), and then explain that when she says the words 'god' in the oath, she can be referring to these things or person or values that she would seek to uphold in her life. That would then help you all to be true to your 'beliefs' without compromising any integrity?

Hi,

some good stuff here. We have decided to let her go. Will perhaps use some of this advice next time she asks about 'God'.

It's funny, Tim remembers doing this very same thing when he was being dragged along to church as a teenager.

Thanks for all the advice

Lotsa love lorna xx

There are worse things that a daughter could want to be into with her friends... I would be relieved if my daughter wanted to join the brownies! At least most of the values seem to be worthwhile supporting. As someone has already mentioned, the religious focus is usually lost on most kids anyway... Just think.. when her friends find something else to get into soon, she will move from brownies and on to something else.

Thread Information