Thread: A recommendation

A recommendation

Particularly for non-horror fans (though scaredy-cats should, of course, hide behind the sofa or go to bed).

At 12.30 (BST) tonight, John Carpenter's inimitable but much imitated Halloween.

This is the film which won Carpenter and (I think) his lighting cameraman a special Oscar for the invention of the Steadicam. He used it to great effect in the opening few minutes of the movie, in order to construct a shot in which he attempted to outdo (on a v-e-r-y tight budget) the astonishing dolly and crane shots which had made Alfred Hitchcock such a celebrated Hollywood director a generation before.
    (Joss Whedon did something similar in his film Firefly, only a couple of years ago, and I believe he too used a Steadicam - but he also did a little cheat and 'cut' in the middle of a whip-pan so that it wouldn't be noticed.)
    Two other major things about Halloween; it was the first horror to feature a 'human' bad guy who was nevertheless mysteriously un-killable (check out the final scene); and it was the first to feature Jamie Lee Curtis. She only really starred in two other horror films (including The fog, in which she was rather peripheral) and yet such was the impact of Halloween that you'd think it was all she'd ever done for the next 10 years - until Trading Places came along.

So, 10/10; two-thumbs up, or 5 stars. Highly recommended.

Suggested strategy for the scaredy cats: tape the film, then watch it tomorrow over breakfast. It's just not that scary in daylight while you're eating bacon and eggs and a short stack...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: A recommendation

Another recommendation (too late now) - "Live And Let Die" was on today on ITV.

Man, that's a good film. The theme tune, the sexiness - and the scariness. Jane Seymour, kicking theme tune, that fantastic river chase, it was great.

I'd forgotten how good Bond films could be, having come in to them during the 80s - LALD was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Another recommendation (too late now) - "Live And Let Die" was on today on ITV.

Man, that's a good film. The theme tune, the sexiness - and the scariness. Jane Seymour, kicking theme tune, that fantastic river chase, it was great.

I'd forgotten how good Bond films could be, having come in to them during the 80s - LALD was amazing.
    Switched the telly on while eating m'tea and caught the boat chase, and was thinking how forced it all seemed - dragging comedy out of Sheriff J W Pepper, boats crashing into swimming pools and wedding cakes...
    ...I never really liked the Moore films, he just never had enough menace for a 'spy' who was a ruthless killer. Connery you could see; and I quite liked Brosnan (though the films were turning to s4!t - invisible cars, already) but when Craig turned up you suddenly realised that even Brosnan didn't have that menace. Too - I dunno, too coiffeured...

On a related point - spotted another film on tonight; 10 pm Channel 4. And the question is:

Dare you see Saw?

Second Hand Lions , showing on Flim 4 at the moment is a fantastic flim with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, check it out blinding flim pips.

Robert Duvall in The Great Mancini, think that's the title, is also blinding.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Not sure you got the name absolutely right, but it's certainly a great film. Bull, that was Duvall's character's name. Fighter pilot in the early 60s, where there were no enemies for fighter pilots to fight.
    IIRC the book from which the film was made was the same guy who wrote the novels which became The Lords of Discipline, another underrated film, and The Prince of tides, a film which won some Oscars but the novel had been executed, gutted and spatched back together in order to make it a 'star vehicle' for Barbara Streisand.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Dare you see Saw?
    Nope!
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Second Hand Lions , showing on Flim 4 at the moment is a fantastic flim with Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, check it out blinding flim pips.

Came to me this afternoon - actually called The great Santini.

Dare you see Saw?
    A really late reply but I have seen saw and I loved it and I don't want to ruin it by watching the other 4 that have been used to draw out as much profit as possible on what was originally a good idea for a film.

People have been lead into thinking it is 'the scariest move of all time' I dont like scary movies and my bro got me to watch saw and I would call it a thriller. I loved it and seen it several times!

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    A really late reply but I have seen saw and I loved it and I don't want to ruin it by watching the other 4 that have been used to draw out as much profit as possible on what was originally a good idea for a film.

People have been lead into thinking it is 'the scariest move of all time' I dont like scary movies and my bro got me to watch saw and I would call it a thriller. I loved it and seen it several times!
    Saw II was OK but after that it became rather a question of how far away from 'completely fatuous' the scriptwriters were going be able to stay when producing the sequel.

Dare you See Saw?
    With Marjorie Daw?

I tried to tape Saw II.. Saw was a good film with an interesting idea.. should have left it sequel-less imho. But I wanted to see one of the sequels. not interested in Saw 5 in the least.

Anyway I said TRIED to tape it.. the digibox threw a wobbly.. I nearly said threw a twirly there.. but it wasn't her fault So I think I have the first 5 mins of the film.. and a couple of episodes of Family guy instead

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I tried to tape Saw II.. Saw was a good film with an interesting idea.. should have left it sequel-less imho.
    When the original had made such an astonishing return on investment? Fat chance.

As William Goldman says, time and time again in his books, Hollywood is a business and since the 1970s it's been run by accountants.

A sniff of profit and they're off like coursing greyhounds...

Commercial Operator

I still haven't seen "Saw" but it's on my to do list.

If you want to see something truly challenging... "Irreversible". French film. Subtitled. Incredible for many reasons...

inimitable but much imitated

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    If you want to see something truly challenging... "Irreversible". French film. Subtitled. Incredible for many reasons...

The opening scenes with the fire extinguisher still make me shudder. As does the infamous Monica Bellucci scene later on

I can't remember if it's an official inspiration or not or just "that's a clever idea we'll pinch that" but Memento (Guy Pearce) had the similar store in reverse idea as well.. it's also an interesting movie.. not quite as shocking as "Irreversible" though.

For a truly harrowing English language film I recommend "Requiem for a Dream" .. just don't watch it when feeling down.. or take the number for the Samaritans with you if you do

For a truly harrowing English language film I recommend "Requiem for a Dream" .. just don't watch it when feeling down.. or take the number for the Samaritans with you if you do
    I really want to see that but the guy who is a film buff at work said "In short it messes you up!" and similar things to what you said Beo

I can't remember if it's an official inspiration or not or just "that's a clever idea we'll pinch that" but Memento (Guy Pearce) had the similar store in reverse idea as well.. it's also an interesting movie.. not quite as shocking as "Irreversible" though.
    Or you can go back to 1983 and Betrayal, Harold Pinter's screenplay of his own stage play.

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    I really want to see that but the guy who is a film buff at work said "In short it messes you up!" and similar things to what you said Beo
    I agree.. however don't let that put you off. It's one of my favourite films.. it's just not one I "enjoy" per se. You don't so much enjoy it as experience it. It's a powerful film and I really do recommend it gets a viewing .. just be warned that it is extreme. Has a fantastic score by Clint Mansell and the Chronos quartet.

Or you can go back to 1983 and Betrayal, Harold Pinter's screenplay of his own stage play.
    Well I didn't know that. But I do now .. thanks. Coming from you I take that as a sound recommendation as something eminently entertaining.

Thread Information