View Poll Results: who's going to the ball?..

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going

41 83.67%
  • I'm not

8 16.33%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Utopia Twisted Masquerade Ball

Re: Utopia Twisted Masquerade Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    t's not that mysterious... I'm just nicer in real life than I am on the Forum. Unlike some people...TSH for example is a fantastic bloke and nothing like the idiot he appears to be on here...
    Have to agree with you mate.

tsh is a lovely bloke one of lifes evervescent type's in real life.

Love him to bits do I!

DTS XXX XXX

What a great night and a really fantastic venue. So many people made such an effort and looking really amazing, I felt rather scruffy by comparison.

I really can’t wait until next time.

Philistines... it's got real depth that track (underneath the casual pop facade) and it's great to dance to - but you can't please everyone... Would you have preferred Santa Clause Is Coming To Town?
    I would have preferred Mariah's 'All I Want For Christmas Is You'

The photographers certainly seemed to be working the room, will the pics be linked from the Utopia website?

On another note, do those 'skin and cyclops eye' masks you had available on the front desk for the curmudgeons who turned up without one double up (excuse the pun) as a DP template?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Philistines... it's got real depth that track (underneath the casual pop facade)
    WHAT I do love you Dave but you do talk a load of crap sometimes!

and it's great to dance to
    Cough splutter...... Errrr, I don't think so!
    Would you have preferred Santa Clause Is Coming To Town?
    Almost 'anything' would have been better!

Anyway, it was but a minor blip in what, as I said, was a perfect evening!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

On another note, do those 'skin and cyclops eye' masks you had available on the front desk for the curmudgeons who turned up without one double up (excuse the pun) as a DP template?
    Only you would think of something like that!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Everything that DTS said and more!!!

I have had a few iffy freestyles recently and was apprehensive about last night - but I needn't have been!

I had a fantastic night - right from the start - got the courage up to wear a dress (not often seen) - danced with so many wonderful dancers - loved the two rooms and the photographer (he has promised to photoshop me down to a size 10).

Could have quite happily danced for another hour but still don't think I would have got round to all the people I missed last night!.

Even though the event was a sell out - it never seemed too crowded - got a little busier after the second room closed but still fine.

All in - GREAT NIGHT - LOVELY PEOPLE - FANTASTIC DANCES!

CAN'T WAIT FOR NYE!!!

Rachel
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post

1. The masks - everyone (ie everyone) I spoke to complained about this - (as per previous discussions here). Perhaps, it doesn't need a theme - or a need to dress in funny costumes.......just a thought.

2. The 1 room vs 2 room debate. Previously I had been in a minority of 1 (or 2) voting for just keeping 1 room. I must say though that I like the Blues Room itself - and it was starting to get a really good atmosphere......and then, it, er, stopped! My reflection is that perhaps you could carry it on.....in that room, till then end.Then it would become a kind of Berkhamstead on steroids. And there could be a simple cake/pastries table laid out in the bar area..........

3. Good music from 12 in the main room. Interestingly the floor seemed to thin out at about 12:45ish - and I sensed it was because the music was getting slower - there a lot of people standing out. Then, the DJ increased the tempo a notch or 2 and that seemed to do the trick. (That was my perception).

4. There was a huge queue to get in from 9:30........perhaps the ticket things (as per NY eve) is a better approach?

All in all - a great night - and I hope there are many more events here in 2009!!

Thanks!
    I agree on all of this, a fairly long queue to get in although after 30 mins someone seem to finally notice the queue was going out the door and round the corner and started pulling people out of the queue.

95% of the masks were taken off after you got in, so why have them. I thought their would be competition or something ?

I dont know what a Utopia experience is meant to be , never been.

This was like a Saturday night Berko event in March. It was all standard ceroc music but maybe missing the odd Amarillo.

Why not have some sweet/cakes out on table a bit of tinsle , pretend its christmas ?

Re the last track if the last but one was uptempo what was the last a uptempo bit of ??. what a song to end the night with

Ps no need to say because its Christmas I wont play a christmas songs either

All in all nothing like I expected to be but I would go again as its a lovely venue and Berko saturday in March aint bad. This was billed however as Chirstmas Masquerade ball it clearly wasn't

tsh, get your head out of your arse, it was clearly stated on the website that the separate lounge ended at 11.30. if you disliked the main room music so much would it have killed you to just chat with people til midnight?
    Such a nice response , heaven help someone who doest read the small print , maybe she wanted to dance and not talk

The photographers certainly seemed to be working the room, will the pics be linked from the Utopia website?
    I think one off set of dance floor photos would be better, rather then having a camera flashed at you every 20 mins for 2 hours.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

What a shame it is that folk can't give honest reviews of events without them being publically berated and belittled by organisers

Well I had a really great night at Twisted.. I LOVED the idea of masks...maybe only because it made me feel like noone knew it was me (yeah right I know.. but still I amused myself...) meant I could be extra naughty .. plus I found it kinda sexy dancing with people when I didn't know who was under the mask.... Is that just me....... Mind you I did have to take the mask off a few times after DTS span me way too fast and it slipped and it did get kinda hot in the mask.. but I did like it.. means I can now tick off masquerade ball on my "things to do list"

Liked the idea of the blues room being separate to start with and I did like having the option to flit between both rooms.... Loved the funky tracks played 12 - 12.30 ish... and had one of my best dances of the night as the music switched and they started to dim the lights etc....

Fab to meet some new forumites and dance with them.. think they will all remember me somehow......

Missed some great friends being there tho... hoping that I will see the usual faces over the next couple of weeks....as well as the new forumites I prob scared to death! Hope to catch the people I missed too...

All in all I was on form last night, had a fabulous night, I have to say that it had a lot to live up to after the first one but it surpassed them all ... to all that organised this event.... I also loved the photographers being there... they did get a fairly dodgy one of me that I will not be buying as it looked like I was feeling my boobs lol... oops!!! oh well...

hope to see the photos that were taken in the venue soon as well....

oh and on a final note i loved foxy's tail and had to stroke it every time i saw him!!

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I agree on all of this, a fairly long queue to get in although after 30 mins someone seem to finally notice the queue was going out the door and round the corner and started pulling people out of the queue......
    30mins is a massive exageration Everything was flowing lovely, then we had two entrants with problems, about 9:15'sh which was unfortunately as it was at the peak time for people coming in, however, as we saw the build up Val came and helped with another list, and the entrance area was widened to allow more people to enter the building.

There was also the problem of people forgetting to "Pay and Display" and their partners decided to hang around in the queue

.........Why not have some sweet/cakes out on table a bit of tinsle , pretend its christmas ?
    all the tables in both rooms had a large handful of sweets and choccies at the start of the dance PLUS a festive balloon (no tinsle though) and the reception area had a massive tub of sweets and choccies

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just a great big thankyou to all the lovely forumites, their hugs, company and dances and for generally reminding me what a lovely bunch you all are.... I had a lovely evening..

thank you xxx

.after 6 months away from you all, I have been reminded of how special you are... and how much I have missed you and dancing..

Welcome back - you were missed

Quote Originally Posted by jacksondonut View Post
    Just a great big thankyou to all the lovely forumites, their hugs, company and dances and for generally reminding me what a lovely bunch you all are.... I had a lovely evening..

thank you xxx

.after 6 months away from you all, I have been reminded of how special you are... and how much I have missed you and dancing..

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    What a shame it is that folk can't give honest reviews of events without them being publically berated and belittled by organisers
    I do get tired of it myself

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    30mins is a massive exageration Everything was flowing lovely, then we had two entrants with problems, about 9:15'sh which was unfortunately as it was at the peak time for people coming in, however, as we saw the build up Val came and helped with another list, and the entrance area was widened to allow more people to enter the building.

all the tables in both rooms had a large handful of sweets and choccies at the start of the dance PLUS a festive balloon (no tinsle though) and the reception area had a massive tub of sweets and choccies
    Im giving constructive feed back rather then the lovie dovey matey type stuff

As I said ,I would go again.

There was no sweets or anything on the tables when I arrived at 9.45pm, maybe the handful had gone ??. Its a minor pont but would have been nice (see Hammersmith etc).

To be fair it took 20 mins to get through the door, again I am sure this wont happen again . As you have mentioned after sometime, people came to help on the door to reduce the queues. Next time they will have two on the door at peak times, problem solved no queues going out of the door.

Before someone comes back and says you would have to queue to get into wembly, or you are too fat for sweets or you should talk when you cant dance, please think twice.
    Last edited by stewart38; 22nd-December-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do get tired of it myself
    And I appreciate it, as do many others.

As a general comment, I think it's useful to remind people that the basic rules for posting on this forum include "be polite" and "be respectful of your fellow poster." I'd ask all members to keep this in mind.

Really? Because the only vaguely constructive parts I see in your original post are these:

Why not have some sweet/cakes out on table a bit of tinsle , pretend its christmas ?

Ps no need to say because its Christmas I wont play a christmas songs either
    The rest all seems pretty negative to me. I know some people labour under the misbelief that the only honest reviews are negative ones and the only useful feedback is negative feedback but I think that's codswallop myself.

Such a nice response , heaven help someone who doest read the small print , maybe she wanted to dance and not talk
    Okay, so my initial response to tsh was a little blunt but
    a - it mirrored the tone of his (yes, S38, his - why did you assume tsh was female?) post
    b - it annoyed me that he had picked up on one aspect of the night that had been clearly publicised in advance. If having an alternative to main-room music is so important to your enjoyment of the night then surely it would pay to check the extent to which it's available at an event you are considering attending before going along.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    If my musical choices had been publically described as 'junk' I think I'd feel tempted to respond in kind.

I thought it was a fantastic evening with the music being so much better than last time that I hardly felt the need to go into the blues room. I was surprised by the decision to put Marc on when the Blues room was open as he generally has that kind of feel anyway but, apart from that, no complaints, especially as even when the Blues room closed it didn't get too crowed in the main room.

The decorations, lighting and everything else was good and the cafe a bonus, especially for those who had a long journey. There were so many good dancers there that I only had one bad dance all night and that was with a yanker who only seemed more excited by my squeals of pain (I had to force myself to thank him at the end and he was wearing a mask so I won't know who to avoid in future). It was difficult because of the sheer numbers to find and dance with all those people I would have liked to (the hunt for Mr. Darcy took at least half an hour and once is never enough!). Others I would like to thank for great dances would be Marc, DTS, Gerry, Ant, Gav (I loved the pivot turns!) and Mr Under Par for "Perhaps". As usual, thanks above all to Steven 666 and his silky-smooth style and for dancing with me to "Mercy" (and all the rest).

I apologise for not being very good at chatting at these events but it was good to see both the Troubles, Caz, Minnie M, Batgirl and others, all looking especially fantastic with and without masks.

Best of all was the gender balance which meant I didn't have to ask all the time ! Congratulations to all involved for enhancing the event after previous comments.
    Last edited by Easily Led; 22nd-December-2008 at 10:52 AM.

...Why not have some sweet/cakes out on table a bit of tinsle , pretend its christmas ?...This was billed however as Chirstmas Masquerade ball it clearly wasn't
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Quite right... and Stewart also must have missed the 14ft Xmas tree in the reception area especially imported from Finland for the event and the stars in the main ballroom (Bethlehem only had one - we had three massive Ceroclehem beauties) AND he must have missed the very special Xmas nativity tableau at the start of the evening on stage:

The menagarie of animals adoring the infant including a fox, a pussy and a zebra (unfortunately Fletch's camel toe was missing..) The 3 wise men (the Magi DJ's - Marc, SF and Nigel) and of course myslef as the gentle Joseph, Val as the virgin Mary and UnderPar as the baby Jesus...

Maybe this should be in the Xmas presents thread. I can just see this in tsh's stocking courtesy of Rocky (and I couldn't believe the pot and kettle nature of your earlier comments re: my, ahem, extended girth when I saw you podging over the waistline of your evangelical preacher suit on Saturday )

Blog Entries

Blimey wot a mixed bag of comments on what i thought was a great night (aside from Scarface missing). Music was good, venue was fantastic and i thought the tea and coffee aspect was a brilliant idea cause you cant beat a nice cup of coffee half way through a night, it also gives ya a chance if you want to rest ya poor feet and have a little chat with people.

The music changed in the main hall and was really great. I had some lovely bluesy dances.

The photographer was also a brilliant fun part of the night. He got me in positions no other man has managed for a long time.

Everybody looked great, some of the masks were brilliant especially some of the make up ones.

It was also an opportunity to catch up with friends that i wont see again now till 2009 so great job guys. Roll on the next one. Gutted Scarface missed it. xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

Thread Information