View Poll Results: who's going to the ball?..

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm going

41 83.67%
  • I'm not

8 16.33%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Utopia Twisted Masquerade Ball

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Utopia Twisted Masquerade Ball

Are any other girlies (or men, if that's your thing) wearing long dresses? I don't want to be the only one!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Are any other girlies (or men, if that's your thing) wearing long dresses? I don't want to be the only one!
    I'm starting off in one!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

We have a spare female ticket for tonight if anybody wants it pm me
    DTS XXX XXX

As you were!!!!

Tis gone.

DTS XXX XXX

Could you image any women going to a Masquerade Ball in the 1930s asking if any women were going to wear a dress

How times have changed

Someone remind me why i bothered... What sort of a genius comes up with the idea of closing the blues room 1/2 hour before the main room stops playing junk?

Yet another vote against the 2 room concept. Blues only will be fine, otherwise I'll stay at home.

tsh, get your head out of your arse, it was clearly stated on the website that the separate lounge ended at 11.30. if you disliked the main room music so much would it have killed you to just chat with people til midnight?

A fun and interesting night - and hats off to those who organised this and put in all the hard work for this event.

Comment of the night from a forumite I met for the first time:
    "You're so much younger than I thought you would be...."

Great dances with some of usual crew - and also great to meet and dance with Caz and RubyyRed: what fun loving ladies!

And thanks to Maxine for bringing the satsumas (see the 6 letter word game for more insight into the significance) - which went down a treat

Some great music in the Blue Room from 10ish - consistently great.

One of the best things was seeing/meeting people from afar - who had come to this event - so clearly it is well thought of.

A few comments/ideas for improvement:

1. The masks - everyone (ie everyone) I spoke to complained about this - (as per previous discussions here). Perhaps, it doesn't need a theme - or a need to dress in funny costumes.......just a thought.

2. The 1 room vs 2 room debate. Previously I had been in a minority of 1 (or 2) voting for just keeping 1 room. I must say though that I like the Blues Room itself - and it was starting to get a really good atmosphere......and then, it, er, stopped! My reflection is that perhaps you could carry it on.....in that room, till then end.Then it would become a kind of Berkhamstead on steroids. And there could be a simple cake/pastries table laid out in the bar area..........

3. Good music from 12 in the main room. Interestingly the floor seemed to thin out at about 12:45ish - and I sensed it was because the music was getting slower - there a lot of people standing out. Then, the DJ increased the tempo a notch or 2 and that seemed to do the trick. (That was my perception).

4. There was a huge queue to get in from 9:30........perhaps the ticket things (as per NY eve) is a better approach?

All in all - a great night - and I hope there are many more events here in 2009!!

Thanks!

Don't remember you coming in JiveLad

I thought the masks were a great idea, I can't believe how many people I welcomed and didn't know who they were what fun ! AND there were only FIVE people who came without a mask ! I am sure those moaning were in the extreme minority

And you guys in your tux wow (especially Mr. Darcy with his loosen tie: blush: and the other sexy medal goes to Rocky in his totally white outfit plus white mask,) that is the way the make an old lady happy

Also, loved Foxy's silver brush

There were some amazing masks, especially the ladies' ones - even if some where only worn for the entrances and about half an hour (if that)

Thank you thank you to all those amazing dances I had (you know who you are)

And an extra special thank you to Val, David and Vince for all the hard work they put in behind the scenes to make (once again) a fantastic evening

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    1. The masks - everyone (ie everyone) I spoke to complained about this

3..... Interestingly the floor seemed to thin out at about 12:45ish...

All in all - a great night - and I hope there are many more events here in 2009!!
    Re the masks - I agree

Re the floor thinning out - The last train back to London is just after 1:00am and this may have contributed to it.

Re more events - According tho the website the dates for 2009 are 21/2, 11/7, 26/9 and 28/11.

From a personal point of view the way the main room was presented was fantastic and the music was much better this time there compared to last time. I enjoyed the main room so much I did not even manage to get into the Blues Room. Thanks to the Utopia team for all their effort.

A good night and thanks to everybody I danced with .

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Don't remember you coming in JiveLad
    That's 'cos I was in me mask!!

(I was the kind-of-James-Bond full face mask guy........which lasted about 3 dances - difficult to see anything - and no-one could hear me.......).

Anyway thanks again to all involved.......it is much appreciated - and please please continue there in 2009. People I spoke to who had not been there before, just loved the venue......space!!

And it shows people will come a long way - and pay good money for top music and venue.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What happened?

One minute I was arriving and the next second they announced the last three tracks I've never known an evening to go by so quickly!

Lovely atmosphere as usual, I think it's the lighting that makes such a difference.

Everyone looked wonderful but I'm afraid I let the side down, as my mask stayed on all of about 3 minutes, I know it sounds weird but it made me feel quite claustrophobic

I enjoyed most of the music very much but I have to ask.. what was that last track all about, (the one before Joy and Pain), it had to be the worst track I've ever heard.. Argh, what a way to end an evening

But 'apart' from that, it was a pretty perfect night!

Thanks to everyone who asked me to dance, I didn't have a bad one all night .. (well, apart from that rubbish track! )
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Had a really fabulous evening and two o’clock came around far too quickly. When I arrived the music in the main room was great so stayed and had a few dances there. Then spent about an hour in the blues room and enjoyed that until the music was not to my taste, so for the first time in my dance life I dragged a man out of the blues room into the main room. When 12 O’clock came and the music changed it was perfect and then had some fantastic dances.

Thanks to everyone I danced with, too many to name and what was weird when it finished I found loads of guys that I had missed, still next time.

Really good to meet my word game friend Rubyred and hope to make it to Berko as you’re going tonight.

A great evening well organised as are all the Utopia events.

PS did not mind wearing the mask for a short time and it thought it made the evening more light-hearted if maybe a little impractical but it did look good

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Could you image any women going to a Masquerade Ball in the 1930s asking if any women were going to wear a dress

How times have changed
    Blimey Stewart, you're older than I thought!

It was fabulous, like the others said time just flew. The atmosphere was just right and there were so many people I hadn't seen for ages it, it was lovely to catch up.

Danced with people that I had never danced with before and WOW where have you all been , especially in the side blues room.

Like Maxine said when the lights came on noticed people I hadn't seen all evening

..... and I for one loved wearing my mask, in fact had more dances with it on than off

Went home fully fulfilled...........a lovely lovely evening.

Storming night as usual.

Batgirl looked great in her gowns, marvellous weight loss, the Bat looks great.

I am now comfortable in me 32" jeans, it is surprising the amount of weight loss everyone is achieving, Raphael looked great with his weight loss, the man can dance a bit as well. Ruby Red....Rosie you look half the woman you used to be, my lovely.

Marvellous dances, did not have a bad one all night, although there was a group of people on a table near us who I didn't see dance all night. Whats the point going if your not going to dance? Still each to their own.

On the 2 room concept.... I don't really care what you guys do, however please do not lose the cafe, a cup of tea and a bowl of chips really go down well at about 12ish.

Excellent masks and did not actually recognise some people until the mask was lifted to reveal the wearers identity.

All in all a brilliant night which just gets better and better.

Well done to everybody who had a hand in the evening.

Looking forward to NYE.

DTS XXX XXX

Enjoyed this one much more than the September one, music pre- and post-midnight more to my liking (though agree with Lory about the Killers )

Arrived early and avoided queueing, thought my full balaclava and eye mask 'urban terrorist' look would see me incognito but Lory clocked me straightaway The bali had to go after a couple of dances though, just way too hot but I kept the mask on until about midnight and I have to say it didn't affect my peripheral vision anywhere near as much as I expected.

Had really excellent, enjoyable dances all night (though my feet gave up obeying instructions around 1.30 ) including a long overdue one with Val. Rocky may be a c*ck on here sometimes but he must be doing something right to have such a talented (and beautiful) woman (her dancefloor behaviour means I really can't say lady ) for a wife.

Excellent venue and I think it will suit the B&W ball well (though I'll be elsewhere that night). Look forward to the Feb Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Rocky may be a c*ck on here sometimes but he must be doing something right to have such a talented (and beautiful) woman (her dancefloor behaviour means I really can't say lady )for a wife.
    One of life's big mysteries.

Look forward to the Feb Twisted.
    You weren't disappointed to find it wasn't a line dancing convention? Yee Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    ..........although there was a group of people on a table near us who I didn't see dance all night. Whats the point going if your not going to dance? Still each to their own....
    If you are talking about the table to the right of the stage by the back entrance - they were there more for a birthday/reunion party and I for one was soooooooooo pleased to see them all together and I did actually get the fellas on the dance floor (these guys have been dancing longer than me ) - it is nice to have this social side too

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ....I have to ask.. what was that last track all about, (the one before Joy and Pain),
    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    ...and post-midnight more to my liking (though agree with Lory about the Killers )..
    Philistines... it's got real depth that track (underneath the casual pop facade) and it's great to dance to - but you can't please everyone... Would you have preferred Santa Clause Is Coming To Town?

One of life's big mysteries.
    It's not that mysterious... I'm just nicer in real life than I am on the Forum. Unlike some people...TSH for example is a fantastic bloke and nothing like the idiot he appears to be on here...

Thread Information