Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maths help !

Maths help !

I would be grateful if any maths boffins out there would propose a suitable formula to properly describe the inverse relationship that appears to exist between how good a dancer someone’s posts on here suggests they think they are and how good a dancer they really are – naturally I am thinking mainly of men here

Re: Maths help !

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    I would be grateful if any maths boffins out there would propose a suitable formula to properly describe the inverse relationship that appears to exist between how good a dancer someone’s posts on here suggests they think they are and how good a dancer they really are – naturally I am thinking mainly of men here

There must be a gadget of some sort that could help you to work out that formula

And don't be so sexist - many of the women are just as deluded.

Good question but leaving mathematical formulas aside, what I think you’re alluding to is that there are some people out there who are completely deluded about their dancing ability, but there lies the problem that if they are deluded then they won’t recognise the fact that there ability does not match their ego.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    There must be a gadget of some sort that could help you to work out that formula

And don't be so sexist - many of the women are just as deluded.
    Agree some women, but surely they're not as bad as the men !

You're safe Mr Rob as I've seen you about, you are an excellent dancer and your posts are often self-effacing

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post

Good question but leaving mathematical formulas aside, what I think you’re alluding to is that there are some people out there who are completely deluded about their dancing ability, but there lies the problem that if they are deluded then they won’t recognise the fact that there ability does not match their ego.
    Too true - but there's nothing wrong with us having a bit of a laugh about it - honestly, some of the stuff I read on here, I'm surprised they don't make up those regularly placed at all the competitions !

Too true - but there's nothing wrong with us having a bit of a laugh about it - honestly, some of the stuff I read on here, I'm surprised they don't make up those regularly placed at all the competitions !
    You should come and play the word games with us that's always good for a laugh or 2

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    You should come and play the word games with us that's always good for a laugh or 2
    or 5 or 6
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Oh go on, name them.

as regards drops and seducers a lot of the physics laws apply:

e.g. F=ma is particularly relevant

also kinectic energy in motion - now it's been a while since I did 'O' level and 'A' level physics I think it's 1/2 mv squared in Joules.

Women however seem not to obey ohms law on resistance though! which is resistance = voltage/current

quality of dancer is inversley proportiontal to posts saying how good they are!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blimey, who knows? There's so little talk about dancing, how could you possibly tell how good posters (think they) are?

I've seen so few posts about dancing lately, I'm having difficulty knowing who you could be meaning.

What it comes down to, though, is that you need to establish a reputation before you are fully taken seriously on the forum. Unfortunately to a new-comer, it's not immediately obvious who has a good established reputation*, and who doesn't.

* Of course, what makes a "good established reputation" is very subjective.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    What it comes down to, though, is that you need to establish a reputation before you are fully taken seriously on the forum. .
    Some have reputations and are still never likely to be taken seriously on the forum.

Are you suggesting there is a inverse relationship and you want mathmatics to descibe it or are you looking to measure it ??

We could take 6 dancers on here (say A to F) and see them dance (A1-F1)

Take many posts on here and see many dances and see if there is correlation

Lest assume we expect A (best dancer on here) to be the best dancer on the floor A1. we need to measure that

pearson chi square test springs to mind but im sure there are better

Pearson's chi-square test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Are you suggesting there is a inverse relationship and you want mathmatics to descibe it or are you looking to measure it ??

We could take 6 dancers on here (say A to F) and see them dance (A1-F1)

Take many posts on here and see many dances and see if there is correlation

Lest assume we expect A (best dancer on here) to be the best dancer on the floor A1. we need to measure that

pearson chi square test springs to mind but im sure there are better

Pearson's chi-square test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A universal formula would be nice.

I have seen so many posts on here with people describing what they do and how musical they are, reams and reams on how they lead, and how it's such a wonderful experience for their partner, did I mention how musical they are, etc, etc - but I've seen some of them and they're nowhere near as good as they think they are - tick or delete as appropriate, people dread dancing with them and avoid them at all costs, they smell, they jank, they bounce, they perve, they back lead, they wrestle, they hold on for dear life, they wouldn't know a beat if it hit them in the face, same handful of moves janked out of time except for that really flash ducking thing with a tunnel they love to show their prowess off with, etc, etc.

It's meant to be a social activity with all able to participate and get pleasure from the experience, I can live with all the dance disaster things listed above, it's the self-delusion and giving it the big'un I have more trouble with !

Commercial Operator

A universal formula would be nice.

I have seen so many posts on here with people describing what they do and how musical they are, reams and reams on how they lead, and how it's such a wonderful experience for their partner, did I mention how musical they are, etc, etc - but I've seen some of them and they're nowhere near as good as they think they are
    Can't have seen me then, because I'm an absolutely wonderful lead. Clearly.

I'll just get me coat then...

I have seen so many posts on here with people describing what they do and how musical they are, reams and reams on how they lead, and how it's such a wonderful experience for their partner, did I mention how musical they are, etc, etc - but I've seen some of them and they're nowhere near as good as they think they are - tick or delete as appropriate, people dread dancing with them and avoid them at all costs, they smell, they jank, they bounce, they perve, they back lead, they wrestle, they hold on for dear life, they wouldn't know a beat if it hit them in the face, same handful of moves janked out of time except for that really flash ducking thing with a tunnel they love to show their prowess off with, etc, etc.
    In fairness to some of these people (and I reckon everyone who has been on here a while can identify people fitting your description)

* musicality is very subjective. One person's musical accent is another person's pointless wiggle. Musicality may also not immediately be apparent to those watching a dance.
    * the look of a dance (which, unless you dance man2man Marcus, is all you can base your first hand opinion on) can be very different from the feel of it

but ultimately, yeah, basing an opinion or expectation of someone's dance ability based on what they post here is a pretty daft thing to do.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    but ultimately, yeah, basing an opinion or expectation of someone's dance ability based on what they post here is a pretty daft thing to do.
    Perhaps, although I find it hard not to do that when someone posts about dance technique.

Funnily enough though, I can't think of anyone from the forum where I've formed an expectation of their dancing from their posts, then been disappointed. There's several who were even better than I'd expected, but no-one who was significantly worse. Granted - I haven't met huge numbers of forumites, but I danced with & watched quite a few at the last SP.

As one of the few people that post "reams and reams" on dancing rather than 'chit-chat', I take personal offence to this post and I would like to object to a couple of things:
    - there are only a couple of people that dread dancing with me and I sneak up on them so they can't avoid me.
    - I don't smell (although can get soggy),
    - I don't jank, yank or crank - I may have been guilty in the past, but i have specifically worked on my dancing to avoid this.
    - I only bounce on bouncy tracks,
    - I have been known to perv, and perhaps lear... but I'm only human and some dresses are designed to be drooled over!
    - I don't follow very well, so can't really deny that I back-lead.
    - I sometimes use force over technique, but only when technique escapes me and I don't want the follower to come to harm.
    - I don't "hold on for dear life" - quite the reverse. Although I can be 'in your face' through out a lot of the dance.
    - I think a beat hitting me in the face would be noticable, but I prefer to stay within the music's framework.
    - I do have a handful of moves that I repeat all the time - who doesn't? But I doubt that anyone would recognise any of them... except perhaps that really flash ducking thing with a tunnel - but that's the only cool move I know

It's meant to be a social activity with all able to participate and get pleasure from the experience, I can live with all the dance disaster things listed above, it's the self-delusion and giving it the big'un I have more trouble with !
    Being a social activity where both partners are entitled to have fun on the dance floor, why should my delusions of godhood be trodden upon by your opinion of me? If you have trouble with my enjoyment of the dance; if it upsets you and you can live without witnessing it or reading about it, then please look away.
    Who are you to be casting your divine judgement on those of us that want to pass on our advice and tips that have taken years to glean and take seconds to share? If your inspired dancing is so much better than those you seek to mock, then lay it before us so we can learn from you.

I take time to write stuff down and try and make it as comprehensible as I can. If it helps only one person to get more out of their dancing, then I have achieved something worthy of the time and effort put into it. I am not the best dancer, I am not the worst. I aim to have fun on the dance floor and give my partner the same enjoyment as I get while dancing. If I can pass this onto other dancers I will. Check the links on my syg and berate me for anything within them, but do not berate me for writing them or posting them.

{/end rant}

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I am not the best dancer, I am not the worst. I aim to have fun on the dance floor and give my partner the same enjoyment as I get while dancing.
    Which excludes you from the category I was talking about

Thread Information