Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secret Dancing....

Originally posted by ChrisA
    If anyone's interested in a serious (not sanctimonious ) take on this issue, there's an essay called "Why men won't dance" by that Newcastle Lindy Hopper,
    I think it's interesting.

Chris
    Phew...just read it.... Hmmm the bit I found interesting was the link between men who have done martial arts and who are good dancers...Trampy springs to mind...

But Gadget, Angela is just naturally obtuse!

Originally posted by Forte
    Phew...just read it.... Hmmm the bit I found interesting was the link between men who have done martial arts and who are good dancers...Trampy springs to mind...
    Its all to do with body movement (oo-er missus)

Phew...just read it....
    I did warn you it was long... I suggest a bit of a lie down, now, to recover.

Chris

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    I did warn you it was long... I suggest a bit of a lie down, now, to recover.

Chris
    :sorry blush - said the Bishop to the Actress????????????
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Phew...just read it.... Hmmm the bit I found interesting was the link between men who have done martial arts and who are good dancers
    Must make me the missing link then

I have to say, all me mates (blokes in this instance) I've told about dance are more fascinated than facetious..mind you, half the stuff I’ve done, dancing is the least of it.

B.T.C.
    Are they? Sorry... It's genetic...
    But not always.....................depends on the moves.

Does this mean I have to keep you at arms length when we finally dance

Alex certainly has no problems with her assets - as she indicate don another thread.

getting attention

Bill, just sent you a message

Craig

Thanks for all your messages and suggestions.

I'll now give you a prime example of how petty my 'pals' are. Only just a couple of hours ago at a leaving-do for a couple of work colleagues at a pub in strathkinness, the lads went to the juke box. Next thing you know, "ha, ha, ha, give us a dance Jim," came the cries as ABBA's Dancing Queen came on!!!

Funny eh??!!

I'm sorry to say that it's the small juvenile things that do tend to get right on my t**'s. Maybe it's my failing rather than there's???

Have done the 'tell them about all the women you dance with' thing before and have to say, it does seeem to work...

James..

to get right on my t**'s

This masculine image thing is tricky, isn't it?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by Jive Brummie
    .........Next thing you know, "ha, ha, ha, give us a dance Jim," came the cries as ABBA's Dancing Queen came on!!!........
    Funny eh??!!
    Why not take Melanie to the next leaving do - I'm betting they'd be so jealous if they saw the two of you strutting your stuff (even if it was to an Abba song) - especially if Melanie was wearing either of her two Scottish competition outfits.........sure we could arrange some moral support for you
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I do not like advocating things I would not do, but a Ceroc Marathon team would be one image enhancer.

Formation dance displays at soccer and rugby half-times would be another. This I would join, if local. This does not have to be anything much more than basic moves. I have always thought the Victor and Lydia image was a mistake. Ceroc is predominantly a social dance.

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    I have always thought the Victor and Lydia image was a mistake. Ceroc is predominantly a social dance.
    Mistake who to? The V&L image would have been a far greater garb for me to start that the 'social dance' image. The strength of Modern Jive is that it appeals across a range of people and to different aspects. Putting a formation dance on is going to elict more ridicule from the likes of James 'associates. He and FC in full gear putting on the style (a la V&L) would give a far more powerful image.

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    I have always thought the Victor and Lydia image was a mistake.
    The Viktor and Lydia image being what, exactly?

Chris

Chris
    If I am right a lot of Ceroc publicity photos, posters etc have a striking image of Victor with Lydia near horizontal. I believe that image will attract the adventurous, artisitic and confident, but that if frightens most people who want to learn a simple partner dance.

The Oracle
    I think bigdjiver has a point. But how many people actually see any Ceroc advertising before coming along for the first time? It still seems predominantly word-of-mouth that keeps the beginners coming.

The annoying thing is that most of the guys at work who ridicule ceroc, I'm sure would have a great time and a real laugh if they had a go.

It seem's that individually, they think that me dancing is a good thing and were impressed by mine and FC's Scottish comp result, but collectively, (as in when they are all together), they appear to egg each other on. One person says something derogatory, then somebody else says something until they all join in and the band wagon is full to bursting!!

Maybe it's a male 'pack hunting' thing???

James..

Chris
    Apologies, I wasn't clear at all about what I was saying (no change there!)

When I talk about the V&L image I mean the sexy, style, cool dressed aspirational image ... not so much the range of promo photos. If you want to promote Modern Jive you could show a nice friendly village hall full of casual dressed middle aged people bopping around approxinately in time to some general pop OR you could take the 'sex on legs', 'WOW' approach and display an aspirational image (i.e. V&L).

Someone at work was interested in running a fun class but wasn't quite sure what Modern Jive was all about. To help her I've lent her a video fo mine which has 5 mins of me teaching a beginners lesson, about 5 mins of various floor shots of freestyling, and a couple of minutes of a Viktor and Lydia demo ..... I'm keen to find out which element is the one that sells the dance.

Originally posted by Sheena
    Why not take Melanie to the next leaving do - I'm betting they'd be so jealous if they saw the two of you strutting your stuff (even if it was to an Abba song) - especially if Melanie was wearing either of her two Scottish competition outfits.........sure we could arrange some moral support for you
    Great idea Sheena!

The MAd crew and some more of the lovelies from Dundee would be glad to give you moral support James

Maybe we could do a routine like we did for Franck's birthday I think that would get their attention, don't you??

Linda

Originally posted by Gus
    When I talk about the V&L image I mean the sexy, style, cool dressed aspirational image ... not so much the range of promo photos. If you want to promote Modern Jive you could show a nice friendly village hall full of casual dressed middle aged people bopping around approxinately in time to some general pop OR you could take the 'sex on legs', 'WOW' approach and display an aspirational image (i.e. V&L).
    I couldn't agree more.

Think back to the first beginners class, and how we felt and looked.

Crap, and, er, crap, respectively, if you're anything like me

... the last thing we need is promotional material that even hints at "come to Ceroc and you can look as awful as this", or "the most you can hope for is this friendly village hall"

One thing I think Ceroc has got exactly right, is the showcase of the moves at the beginning of the class. It's strongly aspirational, and I often hear comments from around me to the effect of "gawd I'll never be able to do that" - but people are smiling, they clearly enjoy it, and then they give it their best shot.

Everyone knows what promo material is, anyway - it shows something off at its best. And so it should.

Chris

Thread Information