Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secret Dancing....

Secret Dancing....

Right then here goes...

Recently at work, ( a very male dominated environment), I've been getting a right earful of grief about dancing. You see, when I started ceroc, it was a big secret. Not (really) because I was a bit embarrassed about dancing, but more because I knew I'd get an ear bashing from the lads.

12 months down the line they all know about me and dancing and I'm still getting the ridicule. Now I'm easy going and I think I've a good sense of humour but 12 MONTHS!!!! Even I'm getting a wee bit PI**ED OFF with the 'jokes' now.

So, I was wondering if this has happened or still happens to other people as well. If so how do you cope with it all???

Is violence the only answer!!!!!!!

James...

P.s I'm not embarrassed about dancing anymore....infact I loved it from the first nervous moment on the floor, they didn't need to know that though

HI James

I realise its easy to say..... but take as little notice as you can.

My dad was a RAF W/O regiment rock ape for 37 yrs- a large man but who was a wonderful dancer and in huge demand - (much to the chargin of my mum who admits was not the greatest on the dance floor!) Anyway in the matcho world of the forces there were loads of men who would dance. the only difference it was usually in the mess.

you've got the last laugh - youve met a wonderful partner, get to have a far better social life - If only they realised what they were missing. Its their loss.

I have completey different life at work, I somtimes talk about dancing but I think the guys think Iam a bit odd. They certainly dont understand it.. but then who does if they are not in the dance circut ???

Your a wonderful bonus to us in Scotland along with your other military pal steve.

fran

Re: Secret Dancing....

Originally posted by Jive Brummie

James...
    Ahh ... yet more evidence of group male insecurity! Its a sad fact that men, when threatened by something, ridicule it. The response you've had James has probably been suffered by most guys in a male dominated environment. At the client site I'm currently working at, all the women who know I dance want to get me on the dancefloor, half the guys think its interesting ... and the other half just continually take the p***. Given that punching the lights out of client staff is generally not the best way of conducting businesss I'm also loooking for a non-violent approach

Interesting point ... when I took up martial arts (all those many years ago) ... I got the same attitude, similar ridicule..... WHY? Does it make any logical sense to take the p*** out of someone who spends all their time practicing how to inflict large amounts of pain???? The wonedrs of the male phsychology never cease to amaze me.

Re: Re: Secret Dancing....

Originally posted by Gus
    The wonedrs of the male phsychology never cease to amaze me.
    ahh, so its not just a girl thing to wonder

hope to see you soon Gus

franx

Sydney, Australia. A _long_ way from Scotland.

12 months down the line they all know about me and dancing and I'm still getting the ridicule. Now I'm easy going and I think I've a good sense of humour but 12 MONTHS!!!!
    Me too, more than 12 months later, still get jokes about "so long as it doesn't lead to dancing". If I were worried about it, I probably wouldn't show them the photos of me in sparkly clothes

Actually, the only thing that bugs me is that I haven't been able to convince anyone from work (guy or girl) to give it a try, which is sad because I think MJ is the best thing since sliced bread.

James, any time they rile you, just give them one of those big grins that you're famous for - that will p**s them off even more.

I do have an answer though - bring some of them along to beach ballroom and I assure you by the time they leave, they will have changed their mind - !!!

TT x

Just wave your championship certificate at them... Plus aren't RAF men famous for jiving in uniform in the forties and fifties? Looking fabby? I think everyone who says they are jealous is right...
    Violence? Nah...grab one of them and lead him into a drop neck seducer (a bit like the one Trampy used on you last week) that'll shut them up...

Commercial Operator
    Just show them all the photos of you dancing with various attractive ladies james......then the scorn will turn to jealousy ...( don't show them the pic of you dancing with Trampy though...that will blow your street cred to bits )

Originally posted by Dance Demon
    Just show them all the photos of you dancing with various attractive ladies james......then the scorn will turn to jealousy ...( don't show them the pic of you dancing with Trampy though...that will blow your street cred to bits )
    You, Mr Dance Demon, can talk!!! Oh well, at least you lead...

Pose for piccys with some of the lovely ladies.

Complain about the pain you are suffering trying to give all of the sixteen spare women a dance, or caused by doing a lift.

Whenever the subject of big breasts comes up say that they are good to look at, but hell to dance with.

After a week or two of that either blatantly use the piccys as pin-ups, or accidentally spill them all across the floor in a crowd moment.

Originally posted by bigdjiver
    Whenever the subject of big breasts comes up say that they are good to look at, but hell to dance with.

After .
    Are they? Sorry... It's genetic...

So, I was wondering if this has happened or still happens to other people as well. If so how do you cope with it all???
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really talk about it at work for fear of this very phenomenon. There are people who know I do it, I occasionally refer to it on the phone, and I've danced with Wendy at office parties, so it's not exactly secret. The only time I've ever spoken about it when "working" was when I was out for dinner with some clients, and the (female) manager we were wining and dining was unbelievably impressed! (Then again, she didn't see me actually performing!)

Yes I have had from the guys at work . although having been in f winning a team comp I have had some congratulations to be fair.

I am afraid some blokes think of us as "girlies " by doing this. I feel very sorry for the couples who's wives dance and their husbands/boyfriends just don't want to know.

But then again it's infinately preferable to getting smashed in the pubs and much more sociable as well.

Commercial Operator
    Some guys have said to me that dancing is a bit poofy, which doesn't bother me at all. Mostly out of mischief, I always take the following angle.

So what did you do last night? Oh a drink with the guys down the pub, eh? Nice! I spent the night holding 30 different women very close and running my hands over parts of their lycra clad bodies - and some of them did the same to my manly chest. If that's poofy then I'm a little teapot short and stout...

Whenever the subject of big breasts comes up say that they are good to look at, but hell to dance with

Are they? Sorry... It's genetic...
    Yeah right ... and every man is a masochist

We suffer, but we practise so diligently ...

Seriously one of the few reasons I drop out of, or avoid, a class is because a "tell it to the judge" move is in it, and I do tend to get things wrong before I get them right.

In freestyle there is no problem.
    Last edited by bigdjiver; 13th-November-2003 at 03:31 AM.

James,

Just remind the guys at your work that it was the american servicemen in WW2 that introduced jive to the french!

I know what you mean though. I work with a bunch of software engineers (geeks, some might say ;-) and I didnt exactly tell everyone about Ceroc.

However I did have a laugh at the last works xmas party last year when I had held impromptu Ceroc class for a bunch of thier wives/girlfriends while the guys all stood at the bar.

I'm sure some of my friends still make jokes about my dancing behind my back, but I dont care! I have had a great time over the last 2-3 years doing Ceroc, and have never met a friendlier bunch of people from all walks of life. I know I can be a bit reserved at times, and take a long time to get to know people - ceroc has been really good for me in this respect.

Ian

PS. Its amazing what you will admit to on a fotum like this, that you wouldnt dare say to people face-to-face!

The Oracle
    I used to get a bit of stick years ago. It changed when we went out for a drink one night, and 5 of us ended up in a Latin bar in the West End. A couple of them said they wanted to see this 'dancing lark' that I did, so I asked one lady to dance. That only slightly impressed them. What clinched it was the steady stream of ladies that came up over the next hour and asked me to dance. (Apparently there were only 3 or 4 men there who could dance, and about 30 ladies. But I never told my friends that!)

At another job there were several rugby players there. They were just starting to joke about it when one of them said "Think about it. We get our hands on a rugby ball in the evening and then talk about women. He gets his hands on women all evening, and talks about rugby..." A couple of them even went to Ceroc after that.

David

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Originally posted by DavidB
    What clinched it was the steady stream of ladies that came up over the next hour and asked me to dance. (Apparently there were only 3 or 4 men there who could dance, and about 30 ladies. But I never told my friends that!)
    Sorry to disagree with you - Oh, wise one............but the steady stream of ladies coming up and asking you to dance would have happened, even if every man in the place was a good dancer.

Roll on next Saturday
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Some guys have said to me that dancing is a bit poofy, which doesn't bother me at all.
    If anyone's interested in a serious (not sanctimonious ) take on this issue, there's an essay called "Why men won't dance" by that Newcastle Lindy Hopper, Nikolas Lloyd mentioned on another thread the other day, and it gives an evolutionary psychology-based explanation of why most men won't dance.

It's long, it has no graphics, and it's here

I think it's interesting.

Chris

you think you've got it bad with colegues and work-mates... Any time my wife is asked where I go of a Tuesday evening (or occasional party/workshop) her response is he's got ballet classes in a condesending tone!!

The number of people arround the village I've met and have asked how my ballet lessons are going is disparaging.

Thread Information