Thread: The right to die? Who chooses?

The right to die? Who chooses?

I was moved by the recent death of a 23 year old rugby player who was paralyzed from the neck down , following a rugby accident just 18 months ago . He chose assisted suicide via Dignitas clinic

Why Daniel James chose to die - Times Online

I think on this one I go with this,

-----------------------------
    “This young man, Daniel James, did not need help to kill himself: he needed help to live with severe disability,” said Dr Peter Saunders of the Care Not Killing Alliance, which campaigns against assisted suicide. “It is most unfortunate that he fell into the hands of Dignitas when he did. He was still very much in the acute stage of loss and he was also almost certainly profoundly depressed. It is a terrible tragedy.”
    ------------------------------

Although for others its got to be difficult , should we judge ??

--------------------------------
    I hope that one day I will get the chance to speak to this lady and ask if she had a son, daughter, father, mother, who could not walk, had no hand function, was incontinent, and relied upon 24-hour care for every basic need and they had asked her for support, what would she have done?”

-------------------------------

but............

-----------------------------------
    Saunders, however, believes “we are on a slippery slope” towards too easily condoning assisted suicide. “At Dignitas we started with people with cancer and motor neurone disease, then we went to chronically ill people and those with conditions such as diabetes or multiple sclerosis where their life expectancy isn’t necessarily shortened.

“Now we are moving on to people with severe disabilities. It is turning into a copycat scenario and it disturbs me. It is right for the police to investigate these cases.”
    --------------------------------

Re: The right to die? Who chooses?

Not an easy subject and certainly not one can judge from the facts we have

A severely disabled friend tried to commit suicide but was rescued, during his subsequent time in intensive care, he made very clear signals to me, he wanted me to switch his life support system off

Well that was over 10 years ago. I have just had a coffee with him and he is very well and has come to terms with his situation

BUT while his body is paralyzed, he can eat, drink, talk and get about in an electric chair

He does not need 24 hour care, nor is he in constant pain

I think, if I was in constant pain, could nothing for myself, with out help and knew thing were very unlikely to get better. I might want to visit Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    Not an easy subject and certainly not one can judge from the facts we have

Where does it end ?

Should we allow anyone the right to die who is of a sound mind in this country ?

I am a great believer in the right of self termination.

If of sound mind then the right to live or die is an individual's choice.

CHOICE is the key word here.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I am a great believer in the right of self termination.

If of sound mind then the right to live or die is an individual's choice.

CHOICE is the key word here.
    Although I do agree with you Dave, IMO self termination needs to be made difficult to do, in some way.

We all go through life's ups and downs. A very few of us go through very deep depression, or trauma, especially following some major life altering event [losing sight, arm, leg, feeling].

And yes, suicide is a choice. There will always be other choices. Sometimes it may take someone 6, 12, 18 or maybe more months to recover from the mental/emotional trauma of such an event.

I would argue that choosing to die before coming to some level of acceptance of what has happened is a poor and biased choice, that may rob the chooser of some wonderful life experiences.

Also, it may be difficult (but not impossible) to discriminate between someone's genuine choice to end their own life, and their cry for help.

Not a particularly happy situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Although I do agree with you Dave, IMO self termination needs to be made difficult to do, in some way.

Not a particularly happy situation.

Indeed, which means you should not help someone end their life

Blog Entries

I read a story this morning in the paper. A mother aided her son in terminating his life who was a tpripaplegic (think thats how you spell it) - had tried himself to end his life three times but was unable to complete it.

He could not walk, needed 24 hour care, was incontinent and had regular spasm fits. He as 23 years old and a semi professional rugy player who was injured in this catastrophic way when the scrum collapsed on him.

He did not want to live. He wanted to die. After a year of suffering he didn't want to do it anymore and could not live his life this way.

If god forbid, either of my children ended up this way and begged me to help them end it.. regardless of the consequence... i cant say i would be brave enough to do it.

Its something i pray i will never have to face but my heart goes out to those who do and I think the people that do make this decision are a lot braver than i could ever be.

Thread Information