Thread: Seven Habits

Seven Habits

I saw this article and thought it would be good for discussion:

http://joy-in-motion.com/index.php/a...yable_dancers/

Although the writer is writing from a AT and salsa perspective the themes should be true for most social partner dances.

If you don't agree with the article choices, what seven habits do you think enjoyable dancers exhibit?

Re: Seven Habits

Quote Originally Posted by tanjive View Post
    I saw this article and thought it would be good for discussion:

http://joy-in-motion.com/index.php/a...yable_dancers/

Although the writer is writing from a AT and salsa perspective the themes should be true for most social partner dances.

If you don't agree with the article choices, what seven habits do you think enjoyable dancers exhibit?
    Without going into to old threads the thing that I think is missing is eye contact but what would I substitute from the list. Or maybe I’ll just add it on.

I think you can still have a great dance with someone if one or two of those elements are missing in fact it is unlikely that you would get all of that wish list with one person but I’m sure other will prove me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    [FONT=Verdana]....the thing that I think is missing is eye contact ]
    I think that is covered by “connection”. in AT eye contact is missing, if your partners has closed her eyes. the leader should be looking were he is going

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    I think that is covered by “connection”. in AT eye contact is missing, if your partners has closed her eyes. the leader should be looking were he is going

I agree that eye contact is part of connection but for me it should be a heading on it’s own because it is so important to make the perfect dance. I realise this does not apply in AT which is a shame but at least you get to rest your weary head on a nice chest so all is not lost

Without going into to old threads the thing that I think is missing is eye contact but what would I substitute from the list. Or maybe I’ll just add it on.
    That was my first thought Maxine...

I think that is covered by “connection”.
    That was my next thought...

in AT eye contact is missing, if your partners has closed her eyes. the leader should be looking were he is going
    My AT teacher has suggested followers closing eyes a few times but I thought it was a beginners' class thing. Is this common for social dancing?

I prefer it 'cos there's slightly less chance of me anticpating the lead if I can't see and as an absolute beginner I need all the help I can get - I might try it in the Practica...

I agree that eye contact is part of connection but for me it should be a heading on it’s own because it is so important to make the perfect dance. I realise this does not apply in AT which is a shame but at least you get to rest your weary head on a nice chest so all is not lost
    I don't (any more) think eye contact is essential for connection, though I did when I danced MJ. I now dance with my eyes fixed on my partner's chest - it helps if he's wearing a shirt with a nice convenient feature to look at, usually the second button down. Of course, in close hold, you pick up the lead directly from the chest, which is MUCH more intimate than just looking them in the eye!

Connection is such an important part of any dance it's worth breaking it down into it's components. Concentration on each other and the dance would be quite an important one for me, I think.

I think the top of my list every time is enjoyment....pure enjoyment. The kind of dance that goes with you for the rest of the week for whatever reason and it does not necessarily have to be with the best dancer around either.

At the end of the day, isn't that why we all indulge?

Empathy and respect

I appreciate this maybe part of connection but for me since I have started partner dancing it has gone much further than the dance itself.

As a lead you always wish for a good follower and you must respect that. In someway she is putting aside many of her beliefs that she may hold in every day life plus during the dance in whole or in part she is relying on you for her safety.

I find that followers in turn feel that and return the respect and this helps to give me a higher quality relationship with woman than I had prior to my partner dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasti View Post
    My AT teacher has suggested followers closing eyes a few times but I thought it was a beginners' class thing. Is this common for social dancing?
    Personally, I can only dance tango (though just a beginner) with my eyes closed - whether that's class, practice or freestyle! The second I open my eyes, I lose all concentration and focus.

Rachel

Thread Information