Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, which has been the best MJ Weekender ever?

So, which has been the best MJ Weekender ever?

Suggested Rules:-
    • Give a short *positive* explanation of your choice
    • Do not compare with any other *named* event
    • If you can't choose, say nothing.
    After a while, maybe a nice moderator will create a poll with the top few choices options on it. Maybe when new events come along, unpopular events can be deleted and new ones added.

Re: So, which has been the best MJ Weekender ever?

So, to start off, here's my entry:

Southport February 2007

Flavia and Vincent
    Lounge Lizard's set early Monday morning was the best I've ever danced too
    Smaller number of people than usual, leading to a higher percentage of dance gods

Southport September 2008

-Great weather
    -Sets in the Latin Room were awesome
    -Two great chalet mates

Posted by FirstMove
    Lounge Lizard's set early Monday morning was the best I've ever danced too
    That was a fantastic set and I would have agreed with your choice except for all the aggravation with WCSers.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Blaze 1

Not only did they have FAB local(uk) teachers, they had Ben and Carla who were just lovely.

Fantastic dancers!
    Fantastic dj's!
    Warm Caravans with a double bed!!!
    After party with Under par et all in a caravan with no electric!!! Playing pick up the box with your teeth!!!

It was the most memorable and best weekender i have EVER been on!

This thread needs re-titling to

So, which has been your best MJ Weekender ever?

Commercial Operator

Re: So, which has been your best MJ Weekender ever?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    This thread needs re-titling to

So, which has been your best MJ Weekender ever?

A question like that is always going to be purely subjective.
    My best MJ weekender ever - Beach Boogie 1999.

Why.... it was something of a revelation on a dance front, and probably did more to change / boost my dancing than any other MJ weekender I've been to. It introduced me to late-night blues rooms. It set some events in motion which helped shape the next few years of my life in a very positive way...

And that's leaving out some very good but fairly personal stuff which .... I'd better not talk about

It also inspired me to write this, which probably shows just how much of a high I was on when I got back home.

Re: So, which has been my best MJ Weekender ever?

Always subjective of course.

I've only ever done Jive Addiction Weekenders - and I've enjoyed every one I've been to except the first. Best for me was June 2007, and the reason was that it was the first weekender where I had the confidence to spend 'quality time' in the Blues Room.

My first Southport was Feb 2007 after about 7 months dancing, and it set my confidence back watching all the great dancers in action and actually screwed up my weekend to the point that I only really enjoyed the Vincent and Flavia bits. So I felt brilliant in June 2007 getting into the Blues Room action on the Friday night in June 2007 and then staying there all weekend except for the odd hour or two of sleep and food - and feeling good about my dancing in there all weekend. It did wonders for my confidence and I think that my dancing changed hugely afterwards because I found attitude and now the Blues Room is my home for weekenders.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance

For me it was the last Southport because I had an hour with about 5 fabulous (for me) dances in succession - particular thanks to Lee B (it was his set and we had a dance) and Mr. Darcy (the others are not on the forum). Mr Darcy even managed to re-insert a label sticking out of my top as part of a move - very smooth ..... !

I was all set for Breeze to be even more fantastic but it just didn't quite happen for me .

Trouble has just stirred my memory. Close tie for best weekender was the JA Southport in May/June this year - again due to a seriously good weekend in the Blues Room crowned (almost literally) by one special moment with Trouble.

Picture the scene - moody blues in the background, Trouble and I dancing together with all the teasing and flirting that she brings naturally. We gently separate and I take both hands up to shoulder height (clasp hold thank goodness) and plant myself ready for her to show her stuff. She struts in giving it everything she's got and rather cheekily hooks her right leg round my left thigh. I then take her down, squatting down on both legs, at which point Trouble's left leg decides it doesn't want to stay where it is and shoots between my leg as Trouble goes airborne and I'm left squatting with Trouble suspended in mid air to screams of delight (or maybe terror)

It obviously looked good from the sidelines because Twirly Bird thought we'd made up a new move, but it was a shared knicker changing event!!! Of course, it looked as good because of Trouble since looking gorgeous just comes naturally to that girl.

Agent 000
    Licensed to Dance (and occasionally to thrill too!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    Trouble has just stirred my memory. Close tie for best weekender was the JA Southport in May/June this year - again due to a seriously good weekend in the Blues Room crowned (almost literally) by one special moment with Trouble.

Picture the scene - moody blues in the background, Trouble and I dancing together with all the teasing and flirting that she brings naturally. We gently separate and I take both hands up to shoulder height (clasp hold thank goodness) and plant myself ready for her to show her stuff. She struts in giving it everything she's got and rather cheekily hooks her right leg round my left thigh. I then take her down, squatting down on both legs, at which point Trouble's left leg decides it doesn't want to stay where it is and shoots between my leg as Trouble goes airborne and I'm left squatting with Trouble suspended in mid air to screams of delight (or maybe terror)

It obviously looked good from the sidelines because Twirly Bird thought we'd made up a new move, but it was a shared knicker changing event!!! Of course, it looked as good because of Trouble since looking gorgeous just comes naturally to that girl.

Agent 000
    I remember that dance it was awesome, that was probably my best weekender so far.

I had a dance with Tiger pants that almost killed me literally I was hanging out of my a*se at the end of it, then had a blinding dance with JoanneC, I think, to Bohemian Rhapsody. Then had a great couple of dances with Underpar and Pretzelmeister.

At the end of these dances, which was all to CJ Mariachi's set I was in heaven. Blinding weekend, this was the weekend that my following clicked into place.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    I guess the 'best' of anything must always be a subjective viewpoint. If we take the most recent event I know some people have posted that Breeze '08 was their best weekender to date whilst others had a disappointing time there. It's the same for every weekender (yes, even JA Southport) and only the proportions of those satisfied and those dissatisfied might differ. You'll never please everybody.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agente Secreto View Post
    by one special moment with Trouble.

Of course, it looked as good because of Trouble since looking gorgeous just comes naturally to that girl.

Agent 000
    U see nothing luvvie duvvie about this post cause its all true and factual LOL xxx

Love you Agent Secreto...... cheques in the post

Commercial Operator

Oh this is a toughie.

Southport June 08 was absolutely amazing. All Southports have been awesome though.

Breeze 08 for me was probably the best though. This is due to the huge focus on blues. The only thing that would have made Breeze better was a CJ Mariachi set. That was the only thing missing from the last JA Southport too.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    lounge Lizzard

its hard for me to choose, but I remember LL late set and for me it was one of the best set ever ever ever! there were only a few of us and we were all jumping around like mad things it was such fun, there were people poping in the main room looking at us and then going out

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    My best MJ weekender ever - Beach Boogie 1999.

BB changed the life of my children Maddy went in a full football kit and came home a girl

They both started to dance there, look where Joe is now

And look at them both now Fletch Joe is amazing and Maddie is gorgeous like her mum.

I suggested the rules for this thread on the following basis:-
    • Short positive citation - to hint that you were actually there and maybe jog other peoples' memories.
    • Do not compare with any other named event - if this is the best ever, it's better than all other events by definition! No need to say why some other event wasn't the greatest.
    • If you can't choose, say nothing - it's not the best if it's a tie.
    Maybe the next few posters might read the rules!

As for retitling the thread ....

I think for me my best weekender so far has been Southport Sept 08. I have loved all the Southports, and I thought nothing would top the one in May/ June.

However this time I ventured a little further with my dancing and challenged myself to do things I had not done before. Things like my stamina to dance right through to breakfast time, having a go at the Tango Milongs, prior to this I either didn't go in at all or went with in with someone who I knew I would probably have the only dances with. I also ventured more into the Latin room, and I had some cha cha and salsa dances.

I also feel that in September I got more into the zone with some of the people I really enjoy dancing with, I won't name names but I think you know who you are.

Another thing for me was meeting new people both from the forum and off it.

I also loved the girly get togethers, chatting and chilling and hand bag dancing.

All in all I think it was due to stepping out of my safety zone and giving other things a go.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Best UK one for me, was the very first MJ weekender put on by Franco- 1996 I think, in Bognor.

Best Aussie one, Hunter Valley 2007 - 5 star accommadation and lovely company, all set in the backdrop of the Wineries.

Commercial Operator

Re: So, who has been your best MJ Weekender score ever?

To be fair - I think we all read them. Then, in the true spirit of the forum, we chose to ignore them It could have been worse - everyone could have started yakking on about purple monkeys with mohicans. Or something.

Change the title? Perish the thought

Oh dear, we have a moderator wannabee - the very thought of rules for a thread

Thread Information