Thread: Joe the Plumber and Dave the Scaffolder

Joe the Plumber and Dave the Scaffolder

Has anyone noticed the similarity between Joe the Plumber (currently the most talked about person in the American election) and..........a certain Dave the Scaffolder?

Quote: "Forget John McCain, or Barack Obama. Joe the Plumber - also known as Joe Wurzelbacher - was the real star of Wednesday night's presidential debate.
    McCain raised the plumber from Toledo, Ohio, early on in the debate as an example of the kind of people who would suffer under Obama's tax plans. From that point on, it seemed as if the two opponents could barely get enough of him.
    Joe's name came up 25 times during the 90-minute debate. The word "economy" got 16 mentions. Iraq came up once, and Afghanistan not at all."

Re: Joe the Plumber and Dave the Scaffolder

I must say that Joe the plummer is an handsome bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Joe's name came up 25 times during the 90-minute debate. The word "economy" got 16 mentions. Iraq came up once, and Afghanistan not at all."
    This is because Joe objected to the effect Obama's taxation policies will have on his ability to buy the business where he works, even though he doesn't earn the $250,000 pa that is the threshold only above which the policy will affect taxpayers.

Only in America could a presidential candidate adopt as significant the opinions of someone who himself does not understand the taxation policies the candidate is objecting to.

Everywhere else, journalists would snigger and the electors would go 'what?'. But in America nobody does anything about politics except watch soundbites.

Good luck to Joe in his business ventures. He should probably stay clear of anything more complicated than copper pipes.

Just too bad "Joe the Plumber" isn't really named Joe, and isn't actually a licenced plumber....

His name is actually Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, and he is not licenced to work as a plumber. He has also admitted to ABC he's not even close to make the amount required for the tax reform if he buys the company in question.
    Plus he owes backtaxes...

I love American politics at it's best.
    Last edited by Villemo; 17th-October-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Villemo View Post
    Just too bad "Joe the Plumber" isn't really named Joe, and isn't actually a licenced plumber....

Fox News brought "Joe" in to the studio as a representative for the working class...
    His name is actually Samuel J. Wurzelbacher, and he is not licenced to work as a plumber.
    "Samuel the not-a-plumber" doesn't really flow, does it?

He has also admitted to ABC he's not even close to make the amount required for the tax reform.
    And he owes $1,200 in back taxes. Which is probably why he was whingeing about taxes in the first place.

Ironically, Obama's tax plan would give him a tax break, but McCain's wouldn't.

It's The Election You Couldn't Make Up - makes the West Wing look like gritty fact-based reality.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

And he owes $1,200 in back taxes. Which is probably why he was whingeing about taxes in the first place.

Ironically, Obama's tax plan would give him a tax break, but McCain's wouldn't.

It's The Election You Couldn't Make Up - makes the West Wing look like gritty fact-based reality.

And trust me, he really doesn't want to negotiate a payment plan with the IRS for the $1,200, as they add 20% to it
    Guess the 15 sec in the spotlight will give him more headache than he thought.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

His name is actually Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher, and he is not licenced to work as a plumber. He has also admitted to ABC he's not even close to make the amount required for the tax reform if he buys the company in question.
    Plus he owes backtaxes...

I love American politics at it's best.

Yes...I read those stories this morning. It is all highly amusing for me. Channel 4 did a great montage of "Joe the Plumber" mentions in the last Presidential debate......which was very funny.

I expect the next thing will be the tabloid stories about his sex life......at least that is what would happen if he was British (I can see the headlines:
    'Joe the Plumber in election erection section':
    Elsie the Electrician in a steamy session with Joe Plumber says: "his flanges were some of the finest I have seen and his u-shaped pipe was a wonder to behold. The sparks really flew when he doused his interlocking vent in my flue"

Question for the moderators:

Isn't that sort of a record? Like Brain of Britain; extra points for five in a row.

There have been five consecutive posts on this read without any disagreement.

Has that ever happened before?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Question for the moderators:

Isn't that sort of a record? Like Brain of Britain; extra points for five in a row.

There have been five consecutive posts on this read without any disagreement.

Has that ever happened before?

OMG! You're right! That should qualify for a free party entrance, at least!

The likeness is uncanny - Dave, have you paid any taxes recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    The likeness is uncanny - Dave, have you paid any taxes recently?
    Baby being self employed I have not paid any taxes since 2000.

And thats the truth, apart from VAT, that is of course.

All perfectly legal and above board I may add.

Thread Information