Thread: A must see flim on tonight Thursday

A must see flim on tonight Thursday

Thursday 22.00 hrs channel 5...Dog Soldier's one ofthe most gruesome and funny flims ever made.

Watch it sport fans, you will either love or hate it.

Re: A must see flim on tonight Thursday

I own it It def a good film with a few funny parts. The gory parts made me laugh LOL

It's a brilliant film - especially to watch with the 'hide behind a cushion' types, unfortunately the pub quiz is a- calling

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

i have seen it 3 times.
    once in the cinema with ex.... didnt see much, he was a cinema groper!
    once at home with ex....see above
    once with my german flat mate.... saw it all! woohoo

i actually enjoyed it which is weird as i hate horror, gore, thriller or anything remotely scary!

went and saw it, good film

why did they try and go out and get the second car

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post

Yeah. Whatever else you might say about Dog soldiers, you can't start asking 'why did they...' questions as the plot falls apart like Jesus' sandals after he walked on water.

On a related issue...

It's hard to find good films on TV. It's the same crap over and over again - even Film 4 is a very sick ghost of what it used to be. (I mean, Judge Dredd, FCS, on this week - it's a really, really crap film which no-one but OCD fans of Sylvester Stallone could rate.) Any film with a decent rating is one that you've seen before - probably twice.

So it was a welcome change to see an Ingmar Bergman film on Film 4 - The magician. Another of Max von Sydow's towering performances before he went to Hollywood and made a fortune playing slightly odd, slightly sinister old men in rubbish films that Bergman could have burped after a snack. Admittedly, it's in the early hours of the morning, so it will have to be recorded, but still. Woohoo.

Then further glance through the schedules reveals that on Channel 4, but also in the early hours of the morning, the actress Sharmila Tagore is introducing Satyajit Ray's film, Company Limited, in which she starred.

It just makes you sag, mentally; two mighty giants of cinema, and yet despite the unending and unutterable movie crap on the 20 or so channels I have access to, the schedulers have managed to get them to clash.

We ought to get the BFI to start it's own channel, which might be what Film 4 ought to have been, and show classics of cinema 24/7...

Commercial Operator

Spoiler warnings ahead....

So they could escape in it? Nearly worked too...

And it led to one of my favourite moments on the film - an unarmed man walking outside into an yard infested with werwolves that are capable of ripping him to shreds with next-to no effort, and shouting at the top of his voice:

"COME AND 'AVE A GO IF YER THINK YER 'ARD ENOUGH!!!!"

As a piece of raw bravado, that had me cheering...

Fun fun fun film.

Blog Entries

Best bit for me was.....

When one of the guys was about to get eaten....

" i hope i give you the s5its"

Scarface insisted we watch it last night.. glad we did... funny film for a gory horror... Great British humour..

Hmm... MP5 or frying pan, which is best for calming a hungry werewolf?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I mean, Judge Dredd
    As a huge fan of Judge Dredd I was looking forward to the film and in some of the costumes, it delivers - ABC Warrior, Mean Machine were superb and the Judges costumes were ok. Its just a pity that in every other aspect it suuuuucked.
    Plot, Location, Dialogue, Editing, Script and of course THE worst...Judge Dredd showing his face. Sucky Sucky Sucky Suuuccccckkkked!

At the beginning they had a block war and spoke about 8 dead. 8? Each block held thousands (around 60,000), had their own "army" (the city-def) and were very patriotic; you'd expect thousands dead with a proper block war. (some info). Which was my main complaint about the film - Mega City One is a city that covers most of the east coast of the USA and was reported to have up to 1/2 a billion people living in it (info)- the film shows no sense of scale or sense of anthropological "what if" that the original stories cover. Gah...great sci-fi material wasted on celluloid toilet paper.

Sorry, rant over

We ought to get the BFI to start it's own channel, which might be what Film 4 ought to have been, and show classics of cinema 24/7...
    I think we have had this before but looking at the top 250 list at IMDB.com, theres lots I've not seen but would like to, and i agree there is some real tat being shown instead. But, is the imdb.com list a decent list of "classics" or should we, in general, look elsewhere for a fairly definitive list? (well, as definitive as you can get with something so subjective)

Must say enjoyed the flim enormousley best bits for me, as always.

Fight scene in kitchen when nutty bollox takes on warewolf unarmed and knocks the crap out of it, with his fists and a frying pan, funny as hell. Same bloke playing with the sword and his mate takes it off him saying "you will have someone eye with that", priceless.

Now IMHO the american flim industry just cannot produce horror comedies of the calibre of british flims.

Stunning flim well worth watching again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Must say enjoyed the flim enormousley best bits for me, as always.

Fight scene in kitchen when nutty bollox takes on warewolf unarmed and knocks the crap out of it, with his fists and a frying pan, funny as hell. Same bloke playing with the sword and his mate takes it off him saying "you will have someone eye with that", priceless.

Now IMHO the american flim industry just cannot produce horror comedies of the calibre of british flims.

Stunning flim well worth watching again and again.

True this is an excellent movie, but my favorite has to be "Brain Dead" by Peter Jackson, funny as hell, more gore than you can shake a stick at, and classic lines such as "I kick arse for the lord".

Onkar
    Last edited by onkar; 17th-October-2008 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Spoiler warnings ahead....

So they could escape in it? Nearly worked too...
    Bit like the old horror movies where you have 6 people in a room and a killer outside

So what do you do hang out to dawn in the same room, of course not

You split up and one goes down a dark cellar on his own to make a call, guess what happens to him

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Best bit for me was.....

When one of the guys was about to get eaten....

" i hope i give you the s5its"

it was a good line!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I think we have had this before but looking at the top 250 list at IMDB.com, theres lots I've not seen but would like to, and i agree there is some real tat being shown instead. But, is the imdb.com list a decent list of "classics" or should we, in general, look elsewhere for a fairly definitive list? (well, as definitive as you can get with something so subjective)
    Hmm. I should imagine that the majority of the people who vote on IMdB have never seen a film that wasn't either a) at the local multiplex or b) on cable; furthermore, they will be 95% American, and have never watched a subtitled film. (In other words, there 'points out of 10' will be given on a rather inadequate basis.) I bet most of them haven't even watched Citizen Kane.

So no, that wouldn't be my place to go to for the schedules of my fantasy Film Channel. The list of 1001 movies to see before you die would be better; best still would be a composite of all the critics' 'best 100' lists over the last 25 years.

Is it just me or do Barry Shnikov and Dreadful Scathe actually talk a different language from the rest of us?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

You split up and one goes down a dark cellar on his own to make a call, guess what happens to him
    He can't get a mobile signal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Hmm. I should imagine that the majority of the people who vote on IMdB have never seen a film that wasn't either a) at the local multiplex or b) on cable; furthermore, they will be 95% American, and have never watched a subtitled film. (In other words, there 'points out of 10' will be given on a rather inadequate basis.) I bet most of them haven't even watched Citizen Kane.
    I think you're being a tad harsh, Citizen Kane is 29th (see top 250) and the votes are only counted for people who regularly vote - thus getting rid of the "your gay" crowd who normally stay on youtube (obviously they will vote for "classics" like "Scary Movie 3").

Also IMDB is the de facto movie site for professionals donchaknow...
    So no, that wouldn't be my place to go to for the schedules of my fantasy Film Channel. The list of 1001 movies to see before you die would be better; best still would be a composite of all the critics' 'best 100' lists over the last 25 years.
    ...but i think you are right about where to source a "proper" classics list from. Sheer popularity has never been a good measure of a films worth to me, but then even reviews are subjective. Anyone seen "Knocked Up" ? It got great reviews but its the most mind-numbingly boring unfunny "comedy" ive ever seen. You may not be aware of this but "rottentomatoes.com" has a score based on total good/bad reviews from as many proper critics as it can find - ive found it to be a pretty good guide.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Is it just me or do Barry Shnikov and Dreadful Scathe actually talk a different language from the rest of us?
    Yup, it's you
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 17th-October-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information