Thread: Dirty Handed Northerners?

Dirty Handed Northerners?

Oh dear, oh dear.

'Northerners have dirtiest hands' - Yahoo! News UK

There's a related morality question - if I'm in the Gents at a dance event, and I see another "gentleman" leaving to go back to the dance floor without washing his hands, should I point out to him the error of his ways? (Bearing in mind this could be more appropriate to the "Have a go or walk on by" thread?!!!)

Re: Dirty Handed Northerners?

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Oh dear, oh dear.

There's a related morality question - if I'm in the Gents at a dance event, and I see another "gentleman" leaving to go back to the dance floor without washing his hands, should I point out to him the error of his ways? (Bearing in mind this could be more appropriate to the "Have a go or walk on by" thread?!!!)
    We live in a namby pamby state

We are so cocoon that we think that exposure to no germs is the way forward

Then we are surprised that ‘kids today’ get far more allergies then we use to get when I was a kid

In those days if you lost a hand you let it bleed out none of this stitching and detol lark

I say **** all over you hands then offer a lady to dance, her picking up your germs is good for her in the long run.

could you could supply gloves at the door of every venue in the north east? or is this not the sort of person who goes cerocing? silly statistics

I always dob in anyone that I see do the not washing the hands thing to the people I am with. If indeed I am with anyone in venue. If I'm off travelling and don't know the ladies it is not something I would do.

Oh dear, oh dear.

Please do John S, my knight in shining armour.

(he could have taken a dump too)

Commercial Operator

Now here's a scenario for you - and I'm ashamed to say that I didn't do anything when I witnessed it, bar tell all the ladies I possibly could. In my defence, in the time it took for me to think 'Did I really just see what I thought I just saw?' and conclude: 'YES!!!!', he had departed the gents.

So...
    Guy comes into the gents. Goes to the urinal. Makes use of it in the normal fashion. Goes to the hand-drier. Dries his hands thoroughly. Leaves again to go and dance.

Of course - this was Salsa. Maybe they have different standards*

*Yes - that was a joke. All you salseros, please don't hit me**

**Or at the very least, please wash your hands first.

well its proberbly cos the souuthrners kkep there glove on

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    well its proberbly cos the souuthrners kkep there glove on
    I presume the credit crunch means they can only afford one?

Registered User Little Black Dress's Avatar

I had a bad case of dermatitis on the palms of my hands recently. They got infected and went all horrible

It made me think too much about people's (both sexes) personal hygiene standards....WHY don't people wash their hands after going to the loo?

I mentioned on another thread that I stopped a guy who did a no2 and was not going to wash his hands, we were fine about it and he just did not realise how unhygenic it was.

If said and done in the right way there should not be an issue.

Going on from this I had a chat with a girl in Stevenage, whilst I was taxi'ing because she danced full of flu. I pointed out most people in the room will end up with the same. Sometimes you just have to not dance and have a bit of consideration for your fellow dancers.

This bit is for Twirlie Bird.....

IT IS ONLY A HOBBY.
    Last edited by dave the scaffolder; 17th-October-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    So...
    Guy comes into the gents. Goes to the urinal. Makes use of it in the normal fashion. Goes to the hand-drier. Dries his hands thoroughly. Leaves again to go and dance.
    I'd just like to add that using a hand drier is dangerous. There is evidence you can pick up Legionaire's disease. If there are no paper towels, use tissues. Also wet wipes are handy if you don't want to keep trekking to the toilets to wash your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I mentioned on another thread that I stopped a guy who did a no2 and was not going to wash his hands, we were fine about it and he just did not realise how unhygenic it was.

If said and done in the right way there should not be an issue.
    I suppose you heard it?
    Well done DTS.
    How could he not know though?
    Going on from this I had a chat with a girl in Stevenage, whilst I was taxi'ing because she danced full of flu. I pointed out most people in the room will end up with the same. Sometimes you just have to not dance and have a bit of consideration for your fellow dancers.
    I once asked a bloke at Hammersmith for a dance. He said yes, but paused to take out a large filthy hankerchief. Whereupon he proceeded to blow his nose. He then put the hankerchief back in his pocket and held his hand out to take me onto the floor.

Commercial Operator

On this note - last time we were to Herrang, in the gents there was a beautifully worded sign that someone had put up - it read:

'Please wash your hands.
    Thank you - from five hundred grateful ladies'.

They're pretty strong on the whole hygiene front there, come to think - there's a hand-cleanser dispenser outside every single dance space / workshop area, of which there are six or seven, and they're always very efficient about keeping 'em topped up. Given that bugs etc can run rife in a month-long dance camp, a lot of people get pretty obsessive about using them too.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'd just like to add that using a hand drier is dangerous. There is evidence you can pick up Legionaire's disease.
    There is? Where?
    I once asked a bloke at Hammersmith for a dance. He said yes, but paused to take out a large filthy hankerchief. Whereupon he proceeded to blow his nose. He then put the hankerchief back in his pocket and held his hand out to take me onto the floor.
    What's wrong with that? Depends on the status of the hankie, I suppose. Was it grey and wringing?

Maybe it's just me but - have any of you any idea how much disease carrying micro-organisms you have on your hands at any given time of the day? Or everybody else's hands?

Have any of you read the recent research that the modern fastidiousness is thought to be partially responsible for the sudden rise in allergies, especially asthma? That is, the human body is designed to cope with the environment it which it moves (well, not 'designed' exactly, but you know what I mean...)

The correct way to think of this is to remember to wash YOUR OWN hands before eating or taking out your contact lenses. Or picking your nose. Then you'll be OK.

I think, on the other hand, it is unacceptable for anyone who defecates to return to a public gathering without washing his or her hands.

I'd just like to add that using a hand drier is dangerous. There is evidence you can pick up Legionaire's disease
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    There is? Where?
    Beat me to it Barry

Legionella pneumophila only lives in aquatic environments, and is thought to be an intracellular parasite - needing to grow inside other organisms such as amoebae and slime mould, and especially likes stagnant water. Lots of sources have been implicated: air conditioning and spas are the most common, but never come across hot air dryers, which are by their very nature hot and dry, the two things that Legionella pneumophila doesn't like.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    This bit is for Twirlie Bird.....

IT IS ONLY A HOBBY.
    David! You may consider doing number two's as a hobby, but I will have you know that us ladies don't do such things!

I
    its not just us blokes who are unhygenic
    you ladies do bad things too
    we had a lady at chelmsford (us guys called swampy) i was in the line one day when the count meant she got to me
    she took of her shoe wiped the inside with her right hand put the shoe back on then offered me her hand

Cleany handed southeners ?

I dont think so, although I can vouch for Lee that he always washes his hands.

We often have hand gel in the bag in case of any emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughalot Bear View Post
    Cleany handed southeners ?

I dont think so, although I can vouch for Lee that he always washes his hands.

We often have hand gel in the bag in case of any emergency.

Whoops that was meant to say emergency grossness

Thread Information