Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leading Help

Re: Leading Help

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Yes; they will probably notice something is wrong; that you're not leading them very well - the connection between you is constantly changing in intensity. You're not doing anything wrong and it's probably good advice to prevent injury to yourself, but I doubt that it will do anything for the follower.
    The connection changes because the follow breaks it, not because the lead changes the connection.

I probably mispoke myself slightly. What I often see is that people relax their frame when they go into the MJ step back (I do this myself too often). When I said tighten up the frame, I probably meant, don't relax the frame when you step-back. Either that, or maintain a proper frame throughout the dance (whichever is appropriate). I didn't mean suddenly tighten up at the end of a return. Maintaining a consistent frame is very important and can lead to the connection breaking if both partners don't do it.

If you do tighten up the frame, then what is happening when the follower is stepping back? Why is it "messy and uncomfortable"?
    Because the follow breaks the connection. Dancing is a partnership and both parties have to do their part. The follow can break the connection as easily as the lead.

Ever considered that it is their technique is compensating for your lead? In a class situation the follower knows that they should be in the same orientation/place so they make sure that they end up there, no matter the lead.
    Yes, I've considered it. Sometimes that's definitely the case. Other times, it's caused by bad technique from the follow. When it's my error, I have to fix it. When it's not, I have to compensate.

I know that turns can be led to remove travelling because I do it. ... primarily you will find that it is the momentum from the previous move/movement you have to counter before you lead the turn.
    I'm not sure I agree about momentum. What I mean is, it does happen, but I can normally recognise when that's the case and deal with that (I think that's the most common cause when the follow has good technique; and that's usually me causing it).

More often it's a result of swapping feet mid-turn, failing to rise up onto to the toe, or entering the turn with a straight leg or some other technical piece. None of which are led, all of which throw the turn off line.

Good advice for any leading: This is using your frame to actually lead through rather than simply engaging it as a defensive mechanism. It sounds a simple premis, but takes a lifetime to do properly - just ask tango peeps
    (I've seen Franck and Amir specifically teach this in the MJ context - Specifically I would recommended Franck's "focus" workshop series. I've seen others teach it in context of tango.)
    My background's ballroom... they tend to use frame a little in ballroom.

My goodness this is highly technical. I tend to just look them in the eye and have fun. I don't consciously do any of these things, I tend to put the follower where I want her and most of the time she/he goes there naturally.

If it goes wrong who cares really...IT IS ONLY A HOBBY. Don't get hung up in the how and where but try to dance in the moment.

Sometimes over analysing something can take the fun and spontenaity out of it.

Just dance, sweat and get excited as a puppy in a best looking Vicar's legs competition.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post

If it goes wrong who cares really...IT IS ONLY A HOBBY.
    WHAT!

Ok. Twirlie take some long deep breaths.............

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    WHAT!

Ok. Twirlie take some long deep breaths.............
    Easy now oh wonderous one. Thinking too much can ruin things.

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    This particular technique is not a favourite for many of us who do like to play but when we want to play as part of the dance. Most of us are not grateful for an 8 beat performance slot with a guy watching us - it can make the lead appear sleazy (been waiting to use that one ) I like this technique only as part of a dramatic break where we both stop for a beat or two.

If you want me to stop, these things might help:
    • make it musical, match it to the music - break
    • use your body as a block so we have to do something slower to get round each other
    • demonstrate the tempo at which you want us to move (I am such a copy cat)
    On the other hand I might just hijack you anyway and interpret the music the way I feel like
    I do do all of these, I promise.

Steven's specific point I responded to was to get them to stop and prevent them from stepping in when they are out.

Blog Entries

I find it easier when im leading to let the follower do what they want to do and adapt my dancing to them. If they are not understanding where i want them to go, i often think to myself, im leading it wrong but sometimes i know they just dont wanna do that move or have not understood a correct lead so i adjust my side and off we go.

Nothing to stress about.. just go with the flow.. makes for a much smoother nicer dance i think.

1) How do you get a follower to stand still when they are insistant on stepping/walking forward, or back, on every step, whether led to or not?

Your job is to make the ladies look as good as you can regardless of how bad/hard they are to lead. It might quite simply be that they do not understand the leads. Thu it might also be that you are not aware that you lead is confusing in some way. There is also no 1 correct way of leading/following. Ceroc offers us style that is easy to follow rather than good mj. Many teachers will say always step on a beat, not necessary move, but at least step.

An example issue for me was the neck break. I had an issue with a number of ladies spinning out of the move rather than following what I considered the lead. I discussed this at length and had a number of styles offered at the correct way to perform the move. In the end, after about 4 weeks I discovered that I needed to keep a flat hand during the move. A number of ladies took my holding of their hand during the move, to mean I was going to spin them out!

2) How do you stop a follower walking down your right hand side when stepping forward, or walking effective around you, however much you step off the slot and lead them directly forward?

It's an issue that if either parties foot work is poor place you end up rotating, rather than following the slot. One option that I use it to move out of the slot on the previous step backward. So the ladies has no reason to step side ways on the step forwards. If nothing works then don't step out of slot so keeping your posture.

Thread Information