Bear in mind:
a) the phenomenal rise in national (public and private) debt over the past 5-10 years, and the seemingly inexhaustible supply of credit.
b) the power of the banks and banking sector when compared to other sectors that (for example) make real stuff.
c) The enormous payouts that exiting banking executives inevitably receive
d) Economic growth(linked to amount of money in an economy): 3% year on year is far from a flat rate in absolute, it is exponential (bit like compound interest)

Creation of money is a real thought provoking (and long 47m) google video on where money comes from.

I fully expected that the Bank of England created or authorised the creation of all money, and that all banks and building Societies universally lent money purely on the collateral that they, themselves, owned.

It seems that (at least some) banks actually create money whenever a loan is taken out (based on that loan), [see Fractional-reserve bankingand, although that 'created money' is destroyed again as it gets paid back, apparently the interest on that loan isn't.

So if, as the story says, that the amount of money in the economy is, essentially, determined by the amount of debt .... and that the health of an economy is based on the amount of money in that economy .... then ....
how long before the entire monetary system totally collapses?? [Eastern philosophy would point to the current financial problems as being indicative of serious, underlying, fundamental discordance)

Also, strangely enough, usury (or the charging of interest on a loan) was, in antiquity, a forbidden practice!!! I wonder how many credit card companies would be in existence if this was still the practice??

Maybe it's all sh*te or an anti capitalistic conspiracy.... any thoughts?? [clearly I would take the opinions of anyone in the banking sector with an exceedingly large mountain of salt!... for my popcorn
... obviously]