Thread: Spree the Aftermath

Spree the Aftermath

Well, according to the poll, I was the only one there - so I thought I'd let you lot know how it went. I am a lady in my forties who has been dancing for about a year. This was my first ever weekender and I approached it with some trepidation as I had decided to give myself a challenge and go on my own. Also, hello everyone, this is my first proper post.

Good

The "Mega Venue" (actually an indoor bowling green with the top bit removed) had a fantastic sprung dancefloor which I personally found amazing to dance on. I didn't realise quite how important the dance surface is until having the chance to compare two different floors on the same night. Each time I went in the "Ballroom", my feet started to hurt (I think this must have been a concrete floor with wood on top). Back to the megavenue and they miraculously recovered.

The music was spot on for most of the time, and I had some of my best dances ever. 99% of the guys (see below for the missing 1%) were friendly, courteous, and great to dance with. There were lots of new moves I'd never seen before and different styles of dancing. I never had to sit out if I wanted a dance - lots of people asked me, and nobody refused me when I asked. The weekend built my confidence enormously, and I can't wait to get back to my regular venue and see if my dancing has improved.

The classes were great - I almost managed a full house on both days.

The foot massage lady - a little pricey, but worth every penny for the extended dancing time she gave me!

I would have expected to be putting the food in the "bad" category, but it was actually on the good side of OK. Especially the cooked breakfast!!

An unexpected bonus - there was a bathtub in my chalet.

Bad

When I got into the bathtub, the whole thing sank by about 6 inches. Scarey! And there was a spongey patch on the floor that made me imagine things about bodies buried beneath. And a very strange musty smell. Cobwebs around the windows. I guess I got the short straw in the chalet allocation.

Ugly

The guys who talked over the instructor in the drops and seducers class, and then went on to perform dodgy/dangerous drops. To quote the instructor, "It's funny how the guys who aren't listening are always the exact same ones you're trying to help."

The guy offering unsolicited comments on my (supposed) alcohol intake on the first night: "Oh dear, was that a wine wobble by any chance?" No, actually, it was your aggressive style of leading that caused me to stumble slightly on the fifth consecutive turn. And did you really think it was amusing to accost me at regular intervals over the rest of the weekend and make a public show of checking what was in my glass or water bottle?

And finally

Many people I talked to seemed surprised when I said I had come on my own. Is this unusual? I can now report that it worked very well for me, but I would be interested to know what other ladies think.

Re: Spree the Aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    And finally

Many people I talked to seemed surprised when I said I had come on my own. Is this unusual? I can now report that it worked very well for me, but I would be interested to know what other ladies think.
    Hi Tarragon - great first post.

I went to Breeze on my own and like you got a few comments and surprised looks, however my take on it was that it was just the same as attending classes and freestyles on my own, which I have often been happy to do.

In many ways I probably danced more than I would have done if I had gone with friends as there were less "social" distractions eg not spending half the day sleeping off a hangover meant I got to lots of classes.

I would certainly encourage ladies and gentlemen to attend on their own if they can't syncronise dates with friends, also there was always a friendly face to say hello and chat to if I needed a fix of human contact outside of dancing.

Welcome to the forum Tarragon - great first post. And it was lovely to meet you Jan on Friday night - glad you had a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in Notts View Post
    I would certainly encourage ladies and gentlemen to attend on their own if they can't syncronise dates with friends, also there was always a friendly face to say hello and chat to if I needed a fix of human contact outside of dancing.

Even though I often share with someone I know, we run our own schedules and there's no hard feelings if we don't see each other all weekend!

But that said, when sharing it does help when you have similar ideas about what you want to do. Having shared with others who spend all day doing the classes and myself preferring to freestyle, it can become a bit awkward

Thanks for the encouraging replies

For anyone curious as to what the place looks like, I have uploaded a few photos in my profile (I don't think I'm allowed to post a link yet as I'm new).

Sorry about the poor quality, but I haven't fully got the hang of my new cameraphone yet.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Tarragon and welcome!

{ snip great review }
    Well put. Very informative, and very descriptive.

I'm not a laydee, but I always have a chalet to myself, although it's nice to have someone to talk to on the journey up / down.

Tarragon,

could you say what some of the classes were and who taught them please?

It bothers me that JiveTime don't advertise their teaching line up, so I'm less inclined to book with them. Tell me it's awesome and you might double the number of forumites who go

FirstMove

Hi FirstMove,

Here's a list covering most of the teachers and classes. As this was my first weekender, I can't compare the standard with others, but I thoroughly enjoyed all the classes I went to.

The classes were running in 50-minute slots in two venues. This was both good and bad - always a second option if you didn't like what was on, but I also missed a few classes I'd like to have attended because they clashed with something else.

Joseph & Trisha Sewell - jiveswing.com
    Blues
    Charleston
    Lindy Hop

Anna Nayler & Richard Shaw - dance-unlimited.org
    WCS beginners
    Cha cha
    Waltz

Nelson & Karen Rose - floorplayjive.co.uk
    Advanced MJ (new moves)
    Jive Drops and Seducers

Simon Borland & Barbara - jivenation.co.uk