Thread: £37,000,000,000

£37,000,000,000

£37 bn

That what the government have “given” the banks

Now I know a lot of you run ( or would like to) un your own business

So what would you do, if you had 37bn to spend

To put it into perspective you could probably buy, equip, staff and promote, a luxury dance venue, in ever city the UK

Re: £37,000,000,000

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    £37 bn

That what the government have “given” the banks

Now I know a lot of you run ( or would like to) un your own business

So what would you do, if you had 37bn to spend

To put it into perspective you could probably buy, equip, staff and promote, a luxury dance venue, in ever city the UK
    You could buy yourself a new keyboard, the one you have seems a bit iffy

The government hasn't actually "given" the banks anything, it's buying into the 3 big ones on a temporary basis until all their crises are over. Could you imagine the consequences of allowing them to fail?

Hmm. I thought that £37,000,000,000 was thirty-seven thousand million. I thought a billion was a million million?

Have I been misunderstanding large numbers since I was at school? Suddenly the government putting a number of billion pounds aside to fund things doesn't seem as dramatic as I'd thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    Hmm. I thought that £37,000,000,000 was thirty-seven thousand million. I thought a billion was a million million?

Have I been misunderstanding large numbers since I was at school? Suddenly the government putting a number of billion pounds aside to fund things doesn't seem as dramatic as I'd thought.
    Traditionally, a UK billion is a million million, where a US billion is just a thousand million. However, most of the world, including the UK's banks and financial industry, now use the US billion.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I'd Buy 37,000,000,000 scratch cards.. who knows I might get lucky and win a fortune..

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Traditionally, a UK billion is a million million, where a US billion is just a thousand million. However, most of the world, including the UK's banks and financial industry, now use the US billion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post

1965 was the year of change

On the the subject of the thread

I’d invest most of in the stock market

With £35 I’d have left go buy myself a chinese

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    1965 was the year of change
    Apparently it was actually 1974.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    on a temporary basis ?

I think the sub prime money, the banks have lent, and cannot now recover, was on a “temporary basis”

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Apparently it was actually 1974.
    I was referring to the financial industry but yes your correct official change was some what later

Or .... to put it imnto perspective another way ... if the Banking system had been allowed to collapse there was a distinct chance of the end of capatilist society as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Or .... to put it imnto perspective another way ... if the Banking system had been allowed to collapse there was a distinct chance of the end of capatilist society as we know it.

but do we want it to continue as it is

Normally, when something goes really seriously wrong, the best thing to do, is bin it and start again

Normally, when something goes really seriously wrong, the best thing to do, is bin it and start again
    Don't need to bin it ... just follow the Co-op Bank model ... ethical, green and never in any dnager of going bump

A fun email circulating trading desks, worthwhile as an informal measure of sentiment:

CEO --Chief Embezzlement Officer.

CFO-- Corporate Fraud Officer.

BULL MARKET -- A random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

BEAR MARKET -- A 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry, and the husband gets no sex.

VALUE INVESTING -- The art of buying low and selling lower.

P/E RATIO -- The percentage of investors wetting their pants as the market keeps crashing.

BROKER -- What my broker has made me.

STANDARD & POOR -- Your life in a nutshell.

STOCK ANALYST -- Idiot who just downgraded your stock.

STOCK SPLIT -- When your ex-wife and her lawyer split your assets equally between themselves.

FINANCIAL PLANNER -- A guy whose phone has been disconnected.

MARKET CORRECTION -- The day after you buy stocks.

CASH FLOW -- The movement your money makes as it disappears down the toilet.

YAHOO -- What you yell after selling it to some poor sucker for $240 per share.

WINDOWS -- What you jump out of when you're the sucker who bought Yahoo @ $240 per share.

INSTITUTIONAL INVESTOR -- Past year investor who's now locked up in a nuthouse.

PROFIT -- An archaic word no longer in use.

Bibi

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on HBOS in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan.

"In the last 7 hours Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

"Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

"Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

"Furthermore, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.

There is a series on TV about the history of mathematics, made bfore the current crash. The last episode was about chaos theory and tipping points. In nutshell the mathematicians on it predicted the sort of events we have seen over the past few weeks. There was also a gloomy "independent scientist" who thought that the climate had probably gone beyond tipping point and we were going to get global warming and the sea level rise whatever we did now.

I think the sub prime money, the banks have lent, and cannot now recover, was on a “temporary basis”
    The bankers made loads of money. I worked in a bank and over the last few years many were getting big bonus like 100-150% and that was not the fat cats at the top, many were middle rankers.

All the moneys been used to pay off the bankers mortgages, not lost in sub-prime as they would like us to think!

Thread Information