View Poll Results: What do we think about Ceroc taking over Southport dates from Jive Addiction?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think there was nothing wrong with Ceroc taking over Southport dates from Jive Addiction

21 21.43%
  • I think it was wrong for Ceroc to take over Southport dates from Jive Addiction

64 65.31%
  • I think that an event run by Ceroc at Southport will be better or as good as Jive Addiction's

27 27.55%
  • I think that an event run by Ceroc at Southport will NOT be better or as good as Jive Addiction's

41 41.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

Commercial Operator

Southport Jive Weekender Poll

With recent events that are discussed elsewhere I thought we should ask how many people think what. I've tried to make the questions unemotional to reduce the chances of bias.

Blog Entries

Re: Southport Jive Weekender Poll

No option for:
    "I'm a punter and therefore don't have enough information to decide if it was right or wrong"
    and
    "I think a weekender run by C instead of JA will be different - I'll let you know whether it was better or not after I've tried it".

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    No option for:
    "I'm a punter and therefore don't have enough information to decide if it was right or wrong"
    and
    "I think a weekender run by C instead of JA will be different - I'll let you know whether it was better or not after I've tried it".

That's called the "don't vote" option

Yet again we see Ceroc steamrolling their way to UK domination. In the end it will be BAD for dancers and you will all pay dearly. Sadly this time they have shafted Jive Addiction (Jon & Wes) who have worked really hard to get the Stockport Weekenders where they are today. The trouble is that if Ceroc get a sniff of an independent organiser making a success of something they decide they want a piece of the action - So here they go again trampling all in their path as they had previously done with Franco and other organisers.

Jive Addiction have taken weekenders to new heights by using their skills to understand the market and give dancers what they want.

We have now lost another excellent independent weekender venue to the Ceroc Franchise. Ceroc are stifling the dance entrepreneur and have yet again demonstrated they are unable to use their own initiative to create/develop their own events/venues instead they prefer use dubious practices to crush others. This is really bad news for all UK Dancers so who is next?

The individuals from Ceroc responsible for this dance disaster should be ashamed of themselves, and in future use their own expertise (if they have any) to create their own weekends instead of the insidious way they steal the existing dates and venues of independent organisers. In the end they will squeeze the pockets of every dancer who supports them. I for one will not be one of them.

My view is that Ceroc are the McDonalds of dancing so we are all going to end up with dancing Indigestion. Monopolies are never any good in the long run, and again Ceroc have again demonstrated avarice.

Finally I would like to thank Franco, Jon & Wes & the Rockbottoms team for the service they have done for us all, and hopefully continue to do so. By making Dance Weekenders and Holidays such great fun with new and groundbreaking ideas and events.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post
    {snip}

Didn't think you had ever been to a Southport Weekender Ken. Or a Ceroc one!

Obv. Ceroc do have the expertise to set up weekender's, being the largest dance organisation in the UK (And poss world??).

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Didn't think you had ever been to a Southport Weekender Ken. Or a Ceroc one!
    Nah...Sproggs goes to secret weekenders that only he and his secret friends know about

(Jon & Wes) who have worked really hard to get the Stockport Weekenders where they are today.

unsure what to say i loved the first ever southport i went to in june the teachers were different to ceroc one but i love ceroc weekendsers so i will enjoy the last soutport by ja but will look forward to the new southport by ceroc

i am sure what ever JA put on for there next new venture it will be fab

so i am not voteing as not sure which option to tick so i am leaving it...

I think the Poll is very interesting a reflection of Peoples opinions...

As for the Pro-CEROC gang... well there's always been those who'll cheer Strongarm tactics to overthrow a peaceful state!!

Vive la Rebel Alliance!

how about we all put a deposit on for southport and see if they willl give it back if maybe 1000 people did it they may say yes..

could be worth a try

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

An e mail that came today....Interesting reading......

Greetings!

It is with great sadness and a sense of real injustice that we have to announce that Jive Addiction will no longer be able to offer customers and supporters future dates at Southport.

Most of you will already be aware that we strived to give dancers the very best dance weekend experience possible and have worked hard to achieve it, making Jive Addiction's Southport the No.1 weekender in the UK. This was done with love, hard work and a vision we could create the most amazing weekend for dancers, with an atmosphere and friendliness unmatched at any other dance weekender. This could only have been achieved with your help and support over the last 5 years. Thank you to you all.

We have raised the bar for dance weekenders and, as numbers have grown - with your help, were able to improve and build on it. We were determined to bring in 'top name Dance Stars' from the UK and abroad to teach (some of whom had never been to, or taught in the UK before) and we looked on with quiet pride at your enjoyment, watching our 'baby' grow.

After all the hard work and investment over the last 5 years, establishing Southport as the most successful Modern Jive Weekend dance event in the UK and Europe, we have just this morning, had it confirmed to us that the ceroc 'empire' have now supplanted us. They should certainly 'blush' - with embarrassment!

WE DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED... although you may care to speculate?

When we were told that ceroc had made an offer for our events at Southport, we were asked what we would offer in return and were given 24 hours to respond! After much consideration, we offered Pontins 5% more than any offer they had or might receive from ceroc, we had even been in discussions about a fourth date at Southport - but ceroc, having 'somehow' secured 'our' dates, have told Pontins that THEY feel Jive Addiction continuing events at Southport, would only 'DILUTE THEIR MARKET'... The truth is that you have been denied choice!

So friends and supporters, it seems September is the last time Jive Addiction will be at Southport - and although Ceroc have squeezed another independent out of its venue... we're certainly not out of the GAME!

Our new events (launched at Southport next week) will be sure to 'eclipse' any event they may do. Watch this space...

"We're ceroc'd off!... If you are too, you may wish to send them an email? You might also wish to copy in george.edwards@pontins.com just to let him know how you feel."

Thank you for taking the time to read this email and we look forward to welcoming you to the last Southport as we all know and love it!

Would you kindly forward this to ALL your friends, just in case we don't have their email address?

John & Wes

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee View Post
    behind the times!
    Come on catch up!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Come on catch up!
    Yeah - at this point, I've read the same flippin' email 3 times on this forum now.

In future, if I see it again, I'm going to delete it as spam.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Taking the emotion and politics out of the equation for a moment..

..I, as a paying punter really want to know in advance, from both organisations, what i'd be getting for my money?

Not just, 'it'll be better... wait and see, blah blah'

I'm certainly not going to cut my nose off to spite my face and book something purely on the basis of supporting a certain organisation in favour of another, if its an inferior product.

We all have things that are important to us and I'm sure they're different for everyone.

There's only so much 'time and money' people have and I think people want to know the facts, so they can make an informed choice.

A note to JA, Can we know the dates of the the new weekender, in advance of Southport, so we can check our Calendars beforehand
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Whilst I don't agree with how Ceroc have done things, maybe what has happened is needed. Maybe Ceroc will still deliver Southport as a really good weekender, learn from that and roll out all their weekenders the same ie getting International pros in etc raising all their weekenders up a notch (would be great to get the WCS pros in at Camber so I didn't have to travel ).

Maybe also JA will roll out an even better weekender than Southport, knowing they now have to up their game again to get us punters in and re-establish themselves as weekender leaders.

I am looking forward to what the 2009 weekenders have in store for us, I am sure it will be bigger and better.

Forums are all about discussion, and from the private comments sent to me I appear to have polarised them.

It really does not reflect well on the Ceroc Franchise. You really should have come up with a credible alternative to the “Jive Addiction” weekenders at Southport by introducing another opportunity for dancers into the Weekender calendar somewhere else in the UK, rather that steal yet another organisations Events and Venues.

This is getting to be a habit that I find very distasteful.

Are you that insecure?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    I am looking forward to what the 2009 weekenders have in store for us, I am sure it will be bigger and better.

In 2005, we had about 3-4 large weekenders for MJers.

In 2009 we'll have at least 10 large weekenders for MJers.

This seems like a Good Thing to me as a punter.

Forums are all about discussion, and from the private comments sent to me I appear to have polarised them.

It really does not reflect well on the Ceroc Franchise. You really should have come up with a credible alternative to the “Jive Addiction” weekenders at Southport by introducing another opportunity for dancers into the Weekender calendar somewhere else in the UK, rather that steal yet another organisations Events and Venues.

This is getting to be a habit that I find very distasteful.

Are you that insecure?
    This forum currently has 3,201 members. Which one of us, specifically, are you talking to, Sproggs!?

I don't think there's anything insecure about operating a business to the best of your ability and that's exactly what the Ceroc organisation is doing. I'm with David on this one. More weekenders mean more choice and that can only be a good thing
    Last edited by Filthy Monkey; 4th-September-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey View Post
    More weekenders mean more choice
    When you buy a Big Mac in Southport, Brighton or Berlin they are always the same....Is that what you mean by "More Choice"

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

When you buy a Big Mac in Southport, Brighton or Berlin they are always the same....Is that what you mean by "More Choice"

Have you ever beeo a Ceroc Weekender? Have you ever been to a weekender? If so what one(s)?

Yes there will be more choice. Just because this happened, John and Wes wont take it lying down I am sure. Infact I am pretty confidant they will have something bigger and better up their sleeve (which they are announcing at SP I believe).

If Ceroc run SP like JA did, then the quality of weekenders will rise. There will be more choice.

Competition is healthy .

I think he might mean more choice as in dates, location, etc, as well as different franchises.

A bit of perspective please...Ceroc have not and will not take over the world.

Thread Information