Thread: Zouk

Zouk

Has anyone danced or come across "Zouk" ?

A first timer at our local MJ class tonight, could not find Zouk in the area, so came along to MJ...

She prononced it zoo (although it could have been her accent - or I might need to wash out my ears more often).

She had only danced Zouk before, and explained it as not stepping back and forwards, but sideways and circular, with the guy moving more and it being "music focused". She also said it was more hips and body movement.

She adapted very well to MJ, although at times instead of coming forwards, she would circle me or go sideways. [Fine by me, it is all fun ]

The clip I found on youtube is...

altough I am not sure if this is typical, or an advanced couples way of doing it...

Any "Zouk'ers" out there?

Re: Zouk

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Has anyone danced or come across "Zouk" ?
    I have not come across Zouk in its purest form but as a varient in other dances most notably Lambada, where Zouk is used to slow things down and bellydance, which has many similarities.

Basically Zouk is very rhythymic form of dance. You do alot of slow body movement especially around hips and the trunk and your travelling movements are designed assist these body movements.

I am not surprised the person you have spoken about took to MJ very well. Zouk dancers are reputed to have alot of rhythm and anybody with rhythm can only be fun to dance with.
    Last edited by ducasi; 10th-October-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: removed rogue quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I am not surprised the person you have spoken about took to MJ very well. Zouk dancers are reputed to have alot of rhythm and anybody with rhythm can only be fun to dance with.
    Thanks for your reply ant,

Rhythm and body lead, was excellent (or should I say, body follow in her case)

Without a poll, but in the spirit of finding out who actually knows about this dance... it would be good if those who know nothing about Zouk, would post to say so, so I get a measure of if it is taught in the UK.

If anyone knows if it is taught in the UK or anywhere else [without a web search, as I am looking for people who have heard of, or have experience of] (or they have danced Zouk), also good to know.

I guess silence, I will take as a bemused no-knowledge...

Now could Zouk be the next "new" influence on MJ?
    Last edited by Martin; 10th-October-2008 at 08:19 PM.

No-one in the UK does pure Lambada, or at least not where I've been dancing. It's nearly always advertised as "Lambada Zouk", London has many such classes. Also Brum and ... *resists urge to do web search*... and um .... other places.

The Zouk that I know of is a dance that I think originates from the Antilles (the French islands in the caribbean) and is danced in France in clubs frequented mostly by antillais.

As you describe, very rhythmical dance, danced very, very UCP and mainly consists of hips movement... danced in dark clubs on a dance floor wayyyy too small...

I didn't even know there were Zouk classes, I kinda thought it was one of those things that comes with being born in the caribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstMove View Post
    It's nearly always advertised as "Lambada Zouk"
    That helped, I tried searching for Lambada Zouk in my region and found it that way...

It apears they call it just "Zouk", and then go onto explain "A variation of Lambada - only more stylized and elegant "

Now I am picturing even more an "MJ Zuck"

The way it seems to have been adapted into Lambada, is a slowing down of the dance (as ant said), adding more style and body fluidity but not the UCP bit [no more UCP than normal Lambada that is...]

It is not exactly blues and not exactly dirty dancing, there seems to be a difference.

So has anyone done Lambada Zouk and then brought the concept into thier MJ dancing?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

So has anyone done Lambada Zouk and then brought the concept into thier MJ dancing?
    I think you will find that alot of the Zouk type influence has already got into the MJ scene but via the bellydance route. i suppose they come under the general heading of body isolation type moves.

I am sure it is also the case in Oz but there are now many dancers proficient in camel walks, body rolls, shimmies, body pops and various type of hip movements. You will find many of these moves common in Zouk as well.

I do agree with you though there is a move in the dance world generally to incorporate this type of dance. Club dancing now reflects more and more this type of movement and many female singers (most noteabley Shakira) uses many of these moves their promotional videos

Thread Information