Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor puppy dog!

My poor puppy dog!

I am a sad monkey. A very sad monkey indeed.

Today, I got home from work earlier than usual, and decided to make the most of our new Daylight Savings hours by taking my adorable puppy for a walk in the evening sun we're only just getting a chance to really enjoy.

Everything was going well, and once we reached the fields I took her off her leash as I normally do to let her run around to her hearts content. She's a very obedient dog and eager to please, so I've never had any trouble controlling her off the leash.

After a short while she charged over a nearby hillock and disappeared from sight for a minute, before hobbling back toward me painfully with a pleading look in her eyes. She flopped down next to me when I reached and held her front leg painfully close to her at an awkward angle. She had blood streaming from a gash in her paw, and a nasty cut on what looked to be a slightly crooked leg.

I carried her home and made a quick phone call to the vet's, thankfully catching him just as he was locking up. He asked me to bring her in and stayed back to see her.

She's been xrayed now, and it's been confirmed that she has a greenstick fracture in both bones. She'll need to be in a splint for the next four weeks, which will be torture for her as she is an extremely fit and active puppy. On top of that, she's also had to stay at the vet's tonight.

Not only that, but I am now alone at home with my partner being at work, our girl staying over at her nana's tonight, and my cat shunning me because I didn't give her dinner twice like she was trying to convince me too.

Nobody's here to tell me my puppy will be alright, and nobody's with her to do the same.

I am a very sad monkey.....

Re: My poor puppy dog!

So sorry to hear this. But she's young and fit, and am sure that she'll make a full recovery and be full of beans again very soon.

Do you have any idea how she managed to do this to herself? Might be worth going and checking out the field tomorrow if not, to see just what did it and if there is anything you can do to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

I'm pretty sure she just got her leg caught jumping over a fallen branch at a full sprint. It's a reasonably wooded area there. I didn't see anything obvious that could have done it, although I didn't exactly stick around looking either....

And thank you for the

Registered User Little Black Dress's Avatar

I'm sure she'll be fine, but I know how hard these situations are to cope with. Hope you can get her home today

Animals such as Dogs and Cats are really adaptable, I am sure you little pupply will do fine with the splints and will be right as rain in a short time.

I had a little scottish terrier and as a puppy he was attacked by a very large Rockweiller, one minute they were sniffing each other as they do the next his head was nearly inside the rockweillers mouth.

Fortunately every thing turned out all right, but it was scary at the time

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    I'm pretty sure she just got her leg caught jumping over a fallen branch at a full sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Animals such as Dogs and Cats are really adaptable, I am sure you little pupply will do fine with the splints and will be right as rain in a short time.
    Poor you, NZ Monkey! I've been through the same thing with my dog a few times (she's the most accident prone thing on the planet), and it's so horrible to see them suffer, and not being able to explain that they're going to be ok again, and what's going on. But like Gerry said, dogs are adaptable, and she'll be absolutely fine again in no time.

My poor doggie did more or less the same thing as yours, but instead of breaking her leg, she dislocated her shoulder. Fortunately I managed to wrench it back in place on the spot (horrible, horrible thing to do), and all she needed was to take it easy for a couple of weeks, and take anti inflammatories.

However, three years ago she managed to tear the cruciate ligament in her knee. There's a few things that can be done: a) nothing, and the dog will have a lame leg for life. b) Replace the ligament with an artificial one, which will be a lot weaker than a real one, or c) Completely re-construct the knee joint to cope with the torn ligament. As my dog is a border collie, and extremely active and energetic, it had to be option c if she was to have a good quality of life. The operation is pretty major, and it took 3 months of nursing her back to health again (and she's now a bionic dog with metal implants!!). But she recovered completely, and have been up several mountains since, and doesn't seem to have any problems with that leg at all.

One tip (which is extremely hard to follow): Don't mollycoddle your puppy when she gets home. I know she's probably extremely cute, and you feel incredibly sorry for her, but by mollicoddling, feeling sorry for her and fussing too much, you'll only re-inforce fear and self pity in her. Of course give her plenty of affection and encouragement, but don't be a hen-mother (or father!). Dogs are extremely adaptable and resilient, she'll be absolutely fine!

All my best wishes to you and your puppy dog. I hope I get to meet her (and your two other girls!) when I'm in Auckland in 3 weeks time!

PS - When I first read the thread title, and then the first line in your post, I thought it was going to be even worse, and that your dog had died! I'm so glad that's not the case!!!

NZ Monkey,
    Sorry to hear about your puppy, but I'm sure she'll be okay.
    It's just sooo upsetting when our babies get hurt!
    Lots of

This actually brought a tear to my eye. Big hugs for you NZ Monkey And for your puppy too

Your puppy will be fine, and back to her normal self in no time

I can imagine how you must be feeling. I have a 2 year old dog and I love him to bits! We are so connected - if he is hurt, I am hurt too, and vice versa. When I'm at home, he won't leave me alone. Guaranteed that wherever I am, Buster isn't far away He's my boy.

It is amazing how attached we can get to animals, isn't it?

Let us know how she's doing when you get her home. More hugs, you deserve them

Take care of you, and your baby girl.

Lou x

Thank you for your kind words everyone!

I have just gotten back from the vets, and Kendra is very happy to be back home. I could describe the monstrosity on her leg right now...but they say a picture paints a thousand words, so here are a couple of thousand:

She'll be out of action for about four weeks, but she's in good spirits and her daddy is feeling a whole lot better now that he has his baby back. I didn't think it was possible for a tail to wag as fast as hers was when she saw me at the vet's this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey
    One tip (which is extremely hard to follow): Don't mollycoddle your puppy when she gets home. I know she's probably extremely cute, and you feel incredibly sorry for her, but by mollicoddling, feeling sorry for her and fussing too much, you'll only re-inforce fear and self pity in her. Of course give her plenty of affection and encouragement, but don't be a hen-mother (or father!). Dogs are extremely adaptable and resilient, she'll be absolutely fine!
    She seems to be bouncing back, but I fear how bored she's going to get over the next month.

All my best wishes to you and your puppy dog. I hope I get to meet her (and your two other girls!) when I'm in Auckland in 3 weeks time!
    I'm sure that can be arranged
    Last edited by NZ Monkey; 2nd-January-2009 at 12:21 AM.

She seems to be bouncing back, but I fear how bored she's going to get over the next month.
    That was the biggest problem I had with Troll, too. 3 year old hyper border collies don't like to be cooped up in a cage for weeks on end - which she had to be.

I tried to invent games for her, to keep her mind stimulated. I'd take plastic cups and hide a bit of cheese (or one of her other favourite treats) underneath one of them, and she had to figure out where it was, and how to get it out. I got a kong which I stuffed with treats, and also an 'activity ball' that worked in a similar way. And I played games by hiding toys in her cage etc. We got through it, but the most frustrating part for her was not being allowed off the leash for 3 months!

I'm sure that can be arranged
    Yay! I'm sooooo excited about going to NZ, and can't believe it's only 3 weeks away! Not particularly looking forward to the flight, though.... But it will be great to see you again, and meet all your girls (he's not happy with just one, he's got a whole harem...).

I'm glad you've got Kendra back from the vet, and wish her a speedy recovery!

LM

Kendra is sooo cute!

Thanks for the update Really glad to hear she is back home.

her daddy is feeling a whole lot better now that he has his baby back. I didn't think it was possible for a tail to wag as fast as hers was when she saw me at the vet's this morning.
    You sound like me, when I refer to Buster (minus the daddy part, though! ). I'm sure we would get on just fine!

You take care of you and your baby Give her a cuddle from me.

Lou x

I have a black Labrador called Oscar. He is a complete nut job and jumps around like bambie!! However, he too had an accident with a sharp stick splitting his large pad on is front paw.

He didn’t complain at the time, just bounced about waiting for the next chuck of his ball. I only noticed because of the blood. Nasty gash, but with a good clean and bandage he seemed just fine. The only issues I found with him were the NO WALKIES rule!! He was driving me round the bend.

I wish you luck convincing your puppy that not walking just now is a good idea. Perfect time for teaching tricks though. If your puppy is being entertained learning something new, then it might keep the open field and freedom picture to the back of her mind, relieving the awful boredom.

Cuddles to the wee toot. Get better soon

Blog Entries

puppy pictures:

Could i just say..... THATS NOT A PUPPY ITS A HORSE.

blimey.....

poor thing breaking his little leg n all but HELLO..... i imagined this little tiny nothing with a little tiny leg in plaster.......... instead we got a cute, very cute HORSE. xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    If you think that's big - you should see Buster!

NZ Monkey, hope Kendra is doing ok

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu Baby View Post
    If you think that's big - you should see Buster!

NZ Monkey, hope Kendra is doing ok
    buster???? - do tell... is that a saucy nick name for ya partner or are we talking a dog here... XX

buster???? - do tell... is that a saucy nick name for ya partner or are we talking a dog here... XX
    Buster is my 2 year old rottie He's a big boy! Not that size matters ofcourse... well, not when it comes to dogs, anyway!

She's a British Staffy/German Shepherd cross, and she's quite a bit smaller than your average Labrador Shepherd. I think perhaps the camera is playing tricks on you, or else you've had your perception of dog sizes distorted by living in London shoeboxes

She's around 11 months old now, and settling down a tiny, tiny amount but she's still a puppy at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarabella
    I wish you luck convincing your puppy that not walking just now is a good idea. Perfect time for teaching tricks though. If your puppy is being entertained learning something new, then it might keep the open field and freedom picture to the back of her mind, relieving the awful boredom.
    That's a really good idea actually! I'm taking some time off work to nurse the poor thing so we have the perfect opportunity.

She's surprisingly mobile now. She can hobble around the house faster than I can walk, and has no problem with stairs anymore either. She's also managed to decapitate her favorite duck toy thew chewing, but I'd much rather that than her cast. She spends most of her day laying in the sun right now.

I tried to invent games for her, to keep her mind stimulated. I'd take plastic cups and hide a bit of cheese (or one of her other favourite treats) underneath one of them, and she had to figure out where it was, and how to get it out. I got a kong which I stuffed with treats, and also an 'activity ball' that worked in a similar way. And I played games by hiding toys in her cage etc. We got through it, but the most frustrating part for her was not being allowed off the leash for 3 months!
    Kongs are fantastic aren't they?!

She has two already, and her favourite combination in Tux biscuits stuck together with peanut butter.

She's licking the top of her cast more often now, and although I try I can't keep an eye on her all day long, so he might have to start wearing her Elizabethan collar even while I'm around soon. Poor puppy dog

She's licking the top of her cast more often now, and although I try I can't keep an eye on her all day long, so he might have to start wearing her Elizabethan collar even while I'm around soon. Poor puppy dog
    Troll never took well to using the lampshade..... So I trained her not to lick. Incredibly enough it worked!

One trick (slightly cruel, but for the best), is to put a bit of tabasco on the cast where she licks. She'll get a nasty shock, and never lick again! At least that worked when Troll was teething and started chewing on electric cables!

Glad Kendra is feeling better. She's absolutely adorable!

PS - she's tiny compared to the dogs I used to have.... Must scan an old photo....

[quote=Little Monkey;507238]
    One trick (slightly cruel, but for the best), is to put a bit of tabasco on the cast where she licks. She'll get a nasty shock, and never lick again! At least that worked when Troll was teething and started chewing on electric cables!

[quote]

Ummm, I tried to use tabasco on the leash when Wolf was a puppy and loved to chew on leather, and he just LOVED it!
    The hotter sauce, the better... my dumb, lovable dog

to Kendra, she's adorable!

Thread Information