Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dance Instructors

Re: Dance Instructors

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I may not be paying attention of course, but i cant remember this being said with any emphasis in many classes i've been to, certainly not as routine. Surely its very important
    Come and join us at planet Gold Coast

They take all colours, even blue

I have to say, having danced in many parts of the world, for many years, the Gold Coast teachers are quite exceptional.

Its a caveman thing........they have to 'help' us poor hapless females and control the situation.

It's not just dancing, it's everything.

Just look at the alarm on their faces when you ask where the cordless drill is kept

Ok, calm down guys....... we all love you really

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    The result of this being that if the are doing it wrong and "teaching" it wrong in such a way thats going to hurt the woman physically or indeed confidence wise i will jump in and say "you ok there? can i help with anything" Most people take this opportunity to walk through it at that point i can say "actually Mr X if you tilt with this hand or pull back with that, the lady will find it easier to follow." At that point very few people will try and tell me i am wrong... altho some have tried

If the person is genuinely trying to help and i can hear this is genuine i will stay back and not interrupt. If the woman looks happy enough that the man is just trying to help them with a move the just cannot get!!

I am lucky to say i havent seen a lot of these. I see more of men trying to force the lady into moves (ie beginners and side leans) and i have seen lots of women telling their partner off for getting it wrong. Which in my mind is the same thing!
    During freestyle I very rarely comment on others dancing. Exceptions to this are ladies that are at risk of being hurt. I sometimes make a single comment to beginners with floppy arms etc, partially if they have struggled consistently with a move. I would comment at the end and in a way that I would boost confidence. I would only provide 1 comment.

Practically incidents,
    In a lesion dancing with a large busted lady with no bra. The move required putting my arms under her arms pits, close to the body during a dip. In this lady case, it would have resulted contact with her breasts. I pointed this out and asked if she want to do another move instead. The lady did not take kindly to the comment and suggested alter the move, in a way that I considered could result in her getting hurt. I refused to do the move and she refused to dance with me!

In a lesion a lady asked did me do that move correctly. I comment that we did it very well but we turned the wrong way at such a point. Didn’t go down well as she bad mouth me to the lady next to me (who was my friend) after I had moved on.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Come and join us at planet Gold Coast

They take all colours, even blue

Well we do need to visit the cousin in Sydney and, in relative terms, you are not far from there Wouldn't be until 2010 now though, due to children

Quote Originally Posted by swp View Post
    If a fella can't lead a move properly he shouldn't be doing it in freestyle. Full. Stop.
    Sorry not sure I agree with that as a overall, generic rule.

When people are learning to lead in classes, they are not likely to come out being able to lead their suite of moves 100% brilliantly. That will take practice in freestyle. In the classes well meaning women may be backleading, or at the very least will know what's coming, which will hamper the lead's ability to learn it properly, and hence their ability to lead "properly" in freestyle.

I'm sure when I was learning to lead I tried moves which I wasn't 100% on. I did lead moves "not properly" because I was just beginning. But that's part of the learning process. If you reserve the right to do a move in freestyle only to those who have achieved some sort of rubber stamp of approval in classes from their teacher or taxi, then no-one would learn to lead well at all.

Plus even now when I can lead fairly competently, I still have "play" dances with some of my friends at my local venue, where we try and make up moves mid freestyle. This I faind a great way of developing my ability to lead, which without the rubber stamp I wouldn't get. (I knowt he rubber stamp anaology is severe, but you get my drift)

The exception to this is obviously where the move I'm learning is potenitally dangerous like a dip or drop, in which case I'll only practice these off teh floor with my more advanced friends who won't hold it against me when I hurt them

Of course the underlying thing here is that when I am practicing these moves within freestyle, I've adopted a mentality whereby if the girl doesn't get it right, it's my fault. Even if she is not the best follower in the world. As such I wouldn't dream of doing the step by step commentary that's being discussed here.

(Although it reminds me of a great dance I had in southport with a guy who lead by shouting the anmes of moves at me. Since I don't know what any of the moves are called, it made for an interesting dance)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    He then proceeded to continue talking through the rest of the lesson, talk through the beginners refresher lesson and talk all the way through all his dances in the freestyle.
    Blimey, you didn't send him to Berko did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
    Its a caveman thing........they have to 'help' us poor hapless females and control the situation.

It's not just dancing, it's everything.

Just look at the alarm on their faces when you ask where the cordless drill is kept

Ok, calm down guys....... we all love you really
    Shocked am i that you even know a cordless drill is.

Stone me you women will be wanting the bloody vote next.

Oh I must have a lie down. Now where's me fluffy bunny luvvie duvvie snugglie.

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Now where's me fluffy bunny luvvie duvvie snugglie.
    Boiling away in it's pot

Lead: Wanna dance?
    Follower: Yes please.
    L: (accusingly) New here, are you? I haven't seen you before.
    F: I usually dance at X
    L: So you don't like it there any more?
    F: I like it great - just fancy a change from time to time.
    L: Whoo hoo, don't we all? (bounces hands and looks around for mates) So did you do the class?
    F: Yes.
    L: So you'll know the double stuffed triple sidewinder reverse pretzel butterfly with a twist?
    F: (smiles) Is that what it was called?
    L: Here we go then. (executes unidentifiable, complex and messy move that ends with close-up wiggling thing) Hi Gary, (over shoulder) mine's a pint of Stella.
    F: (unable to follow beat of wiggle) Oops, sorry.
    L: (Hanging on tightly and grinding hips) You're thinking too hard. There's no need to look so frightened - just loosen up and go with the flow. How long did you say you'd been dancing?
    F: About a year.
    L: Ah, well - that explains it. Me, I've been dancing for more years than I can remember. I even won the Little Puddle in the Marsh championships a few years back. But life shouldn't be all about winning competitions - I do it mostly for fun now.
    F: (smile fades to rictus grin)
    L: Try taking smaller steps - you'll find it helps. (executes triple man spin) Cheers Gary, catch you later.
    F: (rictus grin becomes strained)
    L: You've lost the beat there - hang on (matches his step to follower) - there, I've got us back again.
    F: (starts praying that it will be a short track)
    L: No, no, no, that was meant to be a sway - can't you tell the difference? Just come here. (clasps follower in sweaty close hold)
    F: (tries to signal 'HELP' using only eyes)
    L: Now, on the next return I want you to jump in the air and I'll catch you.
    F: But I...
    L: (aggressively) What's the matter - do you think I'm going to drop you? Come on, don't be such a pussy.
    F: (prays for bolt of lightning to strike dance hall)
    L: OK, I'll do the easy version then. You can't complain about that.

Clash of limbs, inelegant tangle, lead wraps followers arm around sweaty patch at back of neck and goes for a big lean

L: (knees quaking as he holds flashy pose) I thought this track finished here.
    F: (unable to speak as paralysed with pain from him standing on her foot)
    L: Oh alright, let's do a bit more then. (starts to do first move)

MUSIC STOPS

L: Well that wasn't so bad, was it? Tell you what, I'll come and find you later for another dance to see if you've improved.
    F: (unable to comment as she is already on the far side of the dance floor looking for a place to hide)
    L: Hey wait - aren't you even going to say thank you? I haven't even had the chance to tell you my name...

I can't see the bl**dy screen for tears

Just this line alone had me guffawing.........how realistic!

Quote Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
    F: (unable to follow beat of wiggle) Oops, sorry.

Oh, I know that guy - he dances at one of my locals!

Thread Information