View Poll Results: What do you think about the level of moderation?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too strict

2 7.14%
  • About right

20 71.43%
  • Too lenient

4 14.29%
  • Don't know

2 7.14%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about moderation

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Discussion about moderation

Quote Originally Posted by geoff332 View Post
    There are a number of broad categories of characters that you see on forums: flamer, guru, troll, newbie, cluebie, pedant, spammer, etc.
    Oooh any more?

I've gone into a private labelling mode!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

In the olden days of Nettiquette there was a trite phrase - "Lurk Before You Leap". When newbies take the time and trouble to get to know the culture of a forum before they post, they'll avoid accidentally falling into the same traps that Spikey Steve highlighted.
    Whilst sound advice. Some comments are going to be passed on and are going to attract an immediate response. People have feelings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    Whilst sound advice. Some comments are going to be passed on and are going to attract an immediate response. People have feelings.
    But taking the pub analogy again....

Suppose 'one' regular in the pub, says something (that not 'all' the regulars go along with) and that gets out on the grapevine...

then, an outsider, not fully understanding the ins and outs of the pub life in general, gets irate and come in and blames the whole pub? You could understand people might get a little defensive?

If they'd taken the time to ease themselves in, they might well find they actually get a warm welcome and some support, instead of running the risk of rubbing everyone up the wrong way!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

perhaps Franck could buy all of the mods one of those dymo machines for labelling

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

rubbing everyone up the wrong way!
    Some like that!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post

I have also suggested to a number of people about why they are not on the forum and some read and some won't post because of the opinion they have made about the forum. Probably the real question is whether the forum has a poor reputation or not?
    To be honest, does it actually make any difference?

I have spoken to many people in the MJ world about this forum. Most have never heard about it. Some say 'they don't live in Scotland'. None have ever said it has a bad reputation.

Interestingly I did talk to somebody the other weekend who no longer posts on this forum because they couldn't stand the bitching. I was quite surprised by this. Like I said to them you have to remember that unlike a lot of forums the people on this forum do meet up quite often and see each other in the real world. What may read as bitchy may really not be.

I have seen far nastier forums. This forum has its heated debates but nothing really nasty. I think the moderators do an excellent job keeping us all in line.

If the forum really was as bad as SWP and her fellow friends are saying then wouldn't it be pretty empty?

Oooh any more?

There was a great list on a site that I can't find any more. Google is being very reluctant to help me. Most of these terms come from the old usenet days. A few others might be useful...

Kook could be applicable... "An unstable, ""crazy"" Usenet participant. A kook is not necessarily a troll, but can simply be a user that posts unintelligible or nonsensical comments, wild conspiracy theories, and other items of an eccentric nature." Can also be called a Wacko.

"The Vulture -- Never posts, but ready and waiting to point out any fault in
    your post."

Everyone seems to have different lists and definitions. I usually just make up my own (and, no, I won't share them: you might use one of them on me).

All this talk of pubs is making me thirsty.

It aint real you know!!!!

It's all a load of hot air and nastiness at times.

Then there are the fun sides to it all.

End of the day it aint real!!!

2 most important points have been missed out.

1 Can Jamesy really dance?

2 How flexible is Lory?

And 3 Who really gives a sh1t anyway?

Re: Banned from Ceroc nationally, time to say goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    What we've said, typically, is that whingeing about neg rep is likely to get you more neg rep - that's all.
    My experience differs - whenever I have mentioned receiving neg-rep from someone I have received pos-rep that outscores the neg-rep and never received neg-rep for mentioning the neg-rep. I still think neg-repping is pathetic though.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post

I have seen far nastier forums. This forum has its heated debates but nothing really nasty. I think the moderators do an excellent job keeping us all in line.

If the forum really was as bad as SWP and her fellow friends are saying then wouldn't it be pretty empty?

Re: Banned from Ceroc nationally, time to say goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    My experience differs - whenever I have mentioned receiving neg-rep from someone I have received pos-rep that outscores the neg-rep and never received neg-rep for mentioning the neg-rep. I still think neg-repping is pathetic though.
    What are you saying ? You want someone to -ve rep you ?

I think in the 10 or so times I've been -ve rep I've only disagreed without about 2 of them

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm not seeing much response to my suggestions about new members - does that mean we think we're OK in our treatment generally?

Obviously, it's a self-selecting group I'm talking to here, but if you can cast your mind back to when you started, is there anything you'd have like to see done differently, by either the moderator team or by fellow members?

cast your mind back to when you started, is there anything you'd have like to see done differently, by either the moderator team or by fellow members?
    Ok, casting my mind back to being a newbie, this was the first forum I'd ever been a member of so I had no idea about the technical stuff or the etiquette. I got a lot of neg rep, for example, for quoting a whole post when I only needed/wanted to refer to a small part of the post. I thought that was a bit harsh when a PM would have been more helpful.

Perhaps a member of the moderating team could send PM's to newbies who are unaware of how it all works when they make mistakes. That certainly would have helped me.

Well, I'm not seeing much response to my suggestions about new members - does that mean we think we're OK in our treatment generally?

Obviously, it's a self-selecting group I'm talking to here, but if you can cast your mind back to when you started, is there anything you'd have like to see done differently, by either the moderator team or by fellow members?
    How about free chocolate? Then can I join again?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I got a lot of neg rep, for example, for quoting a whole post when I only needed/wanted to refer to a small part of the post. I thought that was a bit harsh when a PM would have been more helpful.
    Thats mainly what i use neg rep for how would a PM be more helpful - then you'd have to explain WHICH post you were talking about everyone has their own opinion on neg rep - i think its just a quick way to point something out and i've chosen to use it for the most trivial thing possible

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Your missing the point

If I walk into a bar for the first time and say this bar has got a poor reputation what should the response be ?
    A bit wound up I walked into a bar and drew an imaginary line down the centre of the room. Then I pointed to the left side of the room and said all you guys on the left are pussies, then calmly I pointed to the right and said all you guys on the right are wimps.

There was silence ... and then a scraping of a chair.

This huge guy stood up..

I said "Are you after trouble?"

He replied "No it's just I'm on the wrong side of the room"

Hey, it's old but I like it

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Thats mainly what i use neg rep for

That doesn't surprise me in the least

how would a PM be more helpful?
    Well, for a start, you can say more in a PM. For a novice like me you could have simply said something along the lines of "Did you know you can shorten the quotes you want to make comments on and just quote the bits that are relevant to your post?. I'd be happy to explain that to you if you don't know how to do that".

Neg rep shouldn't be given to advise someone about the correct procedure for quoting posts, that's not what it's for, but, as you say...

...everyone has their own opinion on neg rep - i think its just a quick way to point something out and i've chosen to use it for the most trivial thing possible
    There's no rules as such about neg rep, so you can do what you like with it.

The rep buttons, neg and pos are there for people to show their feelings about posts (and maybe their opinion of the attitude of the poster).
    Some, will use the feedback as educative. As it often gives a good insight into the minds of mind set of the fellow members Others unfortunately, will take it to heart and forever harbour negative feelings towards the 'repper'
    So with this in mind, and without wishing to stir it all up again, can I just say that while all that was going on my rep was creeping up and up, plenty of my posts got "thanked" - some several times over, plus some very nice, supportive pm's, yet with only ONE -ve rep, and that was calling me a troll . Surely that says that something???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swp View Post
    Surely that says that something???
    Yeah, we're not all such a bad bunch

Yeah, we're not all such a bad bunch

Exactly, some of you even seem quite normal

Thread Information