View Poll Results: What do you think about the level of moderation?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too strict

2 7.14%
  • About right

20 71.43%
  • Too lenient

4 14.29%
  • Don't know

2 7.14%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Discussion about moderation

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Discussion about moderation

What some people fail to grasp, is that you don't 'always' have to agree with your friends.

Having a different POV, doesn't have to mean you don't like them! (i've said it loads of time before, me and my dad, who I love more than anyone, have the biggest rows ever and then we have a cup of tea! )

You don't have to have to join 'the pack' as its been called.

I know its hard sometimes, to humble yourself to agreeing with someone you might not particularly like in real life but it doesn't mean that because your sharing the same the same POV, on one particular subject, that your making a huge statement to the forum/world, that your best mates.

and similarly, just because you verbalise a differing opinion from someone you might see at dancing that night, shouldn't mean when you see them, there has to be any sort of atmosphere!

This is a note for everyone, don't make your posts personal and don't take differing opinions personally!
    Last edited by Lory; 8th-October-2008 at 03:07 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Banned from Ceroc nationally, time to say goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Mod hat off...

The people I admire and appreciate the most on this forum, are the one's who have the ability to debate 'reasonably', who have 'open minds' and are 'willing to listen' to alternative views, the people who don't have to result to getting personal and sarcastic to 'score points', the people who can be humble and admit when they sometimes get things wrong!
    OK in this case I believe the system of neg rep to be unfair. The fact that a new person can be given neg rep anonimously for pretty much nothing. Obviously inexperienced they complain and are given more neg rep by less than helpful members. Nobody visibly helps or explains. Remembering the pen is mightier than the sword and hence they are not merely words. I have seen a number of people struggle in this way.

I believe you have that wrong in the assistance of newbies and the rules to existing members that newbies might be unaware of.

Steve

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Discussion about moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    OK in this case I believe the system of neg rep to be unfair. The fact that a new person can be given neg rep anonimously for pretty much nothing. Obviously inexperienced they complain and are given more neg rep by less than helpful members. Nobody visibly helps or explains.
    So, are you suggesting we disable neg repping for new members - say, for the first 100 posts?

Any ideas / response to my previous suggestions about new member welcoming? Repeating them:

- put something about the rules to say "please be especially courteous and welcoming to new posters"
    - encourage people to reply to all first posts with "welcome" messages
    - be more heavy-handed on discipline for people who are aggressive to new members

Oh, and can we try to keep this discussion focussed on actual discussion and suggestions for ways in which we the moderators can help you the members, if that's OK?

Blog Entries

OK in this case I believe the system of neg rep to be unfair. The fact that a new person can be given neg rep anonimously for pretty much nothing. Obviously inexperienced they complain and are given more neg rep by less than helpful members. Nobody visibly helps or explains. Remembering the pen is mightier than the sword and hence they are not merely words. I have seen a number of people struggle in this way.

I believe you have that wrong in the assistance of newbies and the rules to existing members that newbies might be unaware of.

Steve
    Sorry, I seemed to have missed the relationship between the quoted part of my post, to your response
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swp View Post
    You've all seen the sketch from the Office when David Brent is making racist jokes and he's surprised when it wasn't the black guy who put in the complaint.
    Which is the first thing i thought of when Steve posted the offense/bullying post. I don't think of bullying and offense as the same thing though. I dont think anyone has been overly bad recently (and certainly not to the point of bullying) - i mean really, Andy takes that "particular line of questioning" quite often. And Im annoyingly pedantic in the face of minor points often. And Stewart38 is borderline incoherant most of the time. Thems just the cogwheels of the forum dochaknow

As for causing offense, its a weird day when no one is offended by SOMETHING here.

..great stuff...
    Please don't take this post as me having a go, I'm not. I'm just trying to help, honest.
    I want to be your groupie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

Weren't you going to suggest an idea...?
    I 'was' but, maybe today isn't the day for it..

I need to pack!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Sorry, I seemed to have missed the relationship between the quoted part of my post, to your response
    I guess the modorator team put the rules together and leave them that way.

I think I quoted the part of you post about how you respect the people who are open to debate, have an open mind and may even admit when you have it wrong.

I then stated that I was unhappy with the neg rep rules.

To date all I have seen is that when people are unhappy with neg rep system they are told that they are the ones that are wrong and that the rules were not up for debate.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I want to be your groupie
    You're in.

In fact, you can be my head groupie and keep the others in line. They're not here yet, but I'm sure they won't be long. Funny how things work out.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

To date all I have seen is that when people are unhappy with neg rep system they are told that they are the ones that are wrong and that the rules were not up for debate.

Yes, because those people are always wrong

I don't think of bullying and offense as the same thing though. I dont think anyone has been overly bad recently (and certainly not to the point of bullying) - i mean really, Andy takes that "particular line of questioning" quite often. And Im annoyingly pedantic in the face of minor points often. And Stewart38 is borderline incoherant most of the time. Thems just the cogwheels of the forum dochaknow

As for causing offense, its a weird day when no one is offended by SOMETHING here.
    Your mention of Andy relies on the reader knowing the history of Andy's posting and simpliarly yours and Stewart38's.

I agree one offense is not bullying. However, is one offense acceptable. Generally if offense is given unitentionally then it is polite to apologise.

Again my statements were general and not necessarily the treatment of swp.

Steve

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

You're in.

In fact, you can be my head groupie and keep the others in line. They're not here yet, but I'm sure they won't be long. Funny how things work out.

I'm very proud "Head Groupie" cool (off to make myself a badge)

Yes, because those people are always wrong
    Funny, so if these people thought the rules were not up for debate and that they are always wrong then this must mean that the rules are in fact up for debate. You have now caused a paradox.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Your mention of Andy relies on the reader knowing the history of Andy's posting and simpliarly yours and Stewart38's.
    True indeed, but what i was saying is we shouldn't expect forum people to pussyfoot around new people and complain if they don't. It would be like advertising a new car for £3000 and when the buyer goes to pay, shout "HA! THAT'LL BE AN EXTRA £10,000 TAX YOU MUPPET". False advertising, innit

Fair point - the problem with general points though is, they're too general

Blog Entries

Fair point - the problem with general points though is, they're too general
    er yeah

True indeed, but what i was saying is we shouldn't expect forum people to pussyfoot around new people and complain if they don't.

A person who does not consider others is in the least case ungentlemanly (not sure the term for a woman) and in the worst case a bully.

An yes I believe if a person offends many people and only once each they are still a bully.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    So, are you suggesting we disable neg repping for new members - say, for the first 100 posts?

Any ideas / response to my previous suggestions about new member welcoming? Repeating them:

- put something about the rules to say "please be especially courteous and welcoming to new posters"
    - encourage people to reply to all first posts with "welcome" messages
    - be more heavy-handed on discipline for people who are aggressive to new members

Oh, and can we try to keep this discussion focussed on actual discussion and suggestions for ways in which we the moderators can help you the members, if that's OK?
    Cuts both ways though - you could also have a rule along the lines:
    • Any newcomer who starts with an aggressive post is fair game

I'm not being flippant - people tend to continue as they started, and if someone starts in a pugnacious manner, that's how they're likely to go on. Of course, this is not necessarily a bad thing: some such posters are great fun, others just end up being PITA, and clog up everyone's Ignore list.

So, erm, what I'm saying is that the rules should be transparent to the length of time an individual has been on the forum. Netiquette says we should be courteous to newcomers, and likewise newcomers should settle in to take the temperature of the forum. But trying to enshrine that in rules is overly restrictive IMO.

I agree one offense is not bullying. However, is one offense acceptable. Generally if offense is given unitentionally then it is polite to apologise.

Steve
    Clearly this is true , I mean DS statement below could be taken the wrong way if I was new and didnt know DS Tourettes problem

And Stewart38 is borderline incoherant most of the time.
    However I dont think the forum jump on any newbie per say , I certainly didnt , it was only after I found Swp posting getting offensive (and I mean offensive for me).

Also comments like the one below by Swp are going to get responses , like a guy going into a bar for the first time and saying 'this bar has got a reputation for being very poor', pint of bitter please

Going back to what I said before about the forum having a poor rep -
    How do you moderate that ? I think its a good idea we know who the moderators are from the start , didnt know Kev F was one
    Last edited by stewart38; 8th-October-2008 at 03:54 PM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

A person who does not consider others is in the least case ungentlemanly (not sure the term for a woman) and in the worst case a bully.
    Whilst that may be true in real life - is the virtual world the same? Is the online world not full of ideas ready to be shot down in an impersonal way ? Its not the same as a conversation at the Church Fete is it ?
    I refer you to the youTube comments beneath any popular video - are these "real life" people who normally speak like that? or is the internet just not the same thing as "real life" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Cuts both ways though - you could also have a rule along the lines:
    • Any newcomer who starts with an aggressive post is fair game
    I'm not being flippant - people tend to continue as they started, and if someone starts in a pugnacious manner, that's how they're likely to go on. Of course, this is not necessarily a bad thing: some such posters are great fun, others just end up being PITA, and clog up everyone's Ignore list.

So, erm, what I'm saying is that the rules should be transparent to the length of time an individual has been on the forum. Netiquette says we should be courteous to newcomers, and likewise newcomers should settle in to take the temperature of the forum. But trying to enshrine that in rules is overly restrictive IMO.
    People have different ideas on what is courteous.

How will a newcomer know about taking the temperature. Are you agreeing with the suggestion of a welcome message which inlcudes the rules?

There are rules already are you suggesting that they are removed?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Clearly this is true , I mean DS statement below could be taken the wrong way if I was new and didnt know DS Tourettes problem

Also comments like the one below by Swp are going to get responses , like a guy going into a bar for the first time and saying 'this bar has got a reputation for being very poor', pint of bitter please
    Or like the warrior who went into the "Broken Drum" in Ankh Morpork and loudly introduced himself as "Vlad the invincible"

(according to the watch - cause of death was "suicide")

Thread Information