View Poll Results: What do you think about the level of moderation?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too strict

2 7.14%
  • About right

20 71.43%
  • Too lenient

4 14.29%
  • Don't know

2 7.14%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about moderation

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Banned from Ceroc nationally, time to say goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Several members of this forum, IMO, has shown unreasonable suspicion and hostility to a newcomer. IMO If the forum did not have a bad reputation it is moving towards earning one.
    And i say they(we) treated a newcomer the same as they would a regular poster. even so, there was no bullying that i can see even by your definitions.

Re: Discussion about moderation

Quote Originally Posted by swp View Post
    See, I do have my uses
    It has been fun, and you have livened up the forum.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    That's a fab idea.
    We do actually do that at the moment, using this sort of text - e.g. at the top of threads etc.

We don't use it all the time, however - and it probably wouldn't be significant to new members either, they'd just think we were Fletch and liked posting in silly colours and fonts or something. To be honest, I think it's usually obvious from the context. But if it's not, then simply ask.

I suppose we could use [mod]...[/mod] tags?

There have been times when DJB (for instance) has posted & people have been confused as to whether he was posting as a mod, or as his normal cheery self.
    It's usually easy to tell - I'm far more reasonable when in mod-mode than I am normally

And if people take it the wrong way... he gets a bit.... well..... ermmm....
    "Grumpy drawers" is the expression you're looking for

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    And i say they(we) treated a newcomer the same as they would a regular poster. even so, there was no bullying that i can see even by your definitions.
    [non-mod]And I say that "unreasonable" also doesn't even mean "large" [/non-mod]

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    The moderating team is:
    - David Bailey
    - Ducasi
    - Kev F
    - Lory
    Oi! Why am I at the bottom? I was here well before you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by swp View Post

On every other forum I am on it is very clear who the mods and admins are - they either have a clue under their login name, like "Moderator"
    I'm going to add Moderator to my signature

type in a different colour when they are responding in their mod capacity.
    Actually we do this already, when we've split a thread or such like, we write in bright pink
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

We do actually do that at the moment, using this sort of text - e.g. at the top of threads etc.
    YOu type quicker than me
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

[non-mod]And I say that "unreasonable" also doesn't even mean "large" [/non-mod]
    oh shush

Interesting statement.

At work we are taught about bullying and harrassment. What might be acceptable behavoiur, banter etc, for an existing group of people can be bullying or harrassment to a newcomer or in fact in can seem that existing people have been happy with an ongoing situation when in fact they are not. One more thing or catch someone at teh wrong time and it can tip the scales for them.

One more point is that the bullying could offend people other than the original comments or actions were intended for.

What you see as acceptable may not be to others.

Steve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Oi! Why am I at the bottom? I was here well before you lot!
    Alphabetical order.

For me on the whole the forum is fair, although there have been things written about me that I was very, very, unhappy with some of the context was very personal, I asked for it to be removed and it wasn't, I might have been now? with very pearsonal stuff in a post the pearson conserned should be able to have it removed.

I have also received infractions/delited post for IMO much less, but then we are all human an and anomalies will occur.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    One more point is that the bullying could offend people other than the original comments or actions were intended for.

Indeed true, but we are talking about bullying, not offense, and for that to be true someone needs to have been bullied and I don't see evidence of that. swp can take care of herself i think

Alphabetical order.
    It certainly wasn't ordered by attractiveness

Blog Entries

Interesting statement.

At work we are taught about bullying and harrassment.
    I'm fully-aware of the dangers of perception to new members, believe me, which is why I typically stick up for new posts and if necessary say something appropriate. Which I did, with swp, within the first few minutes.

Similarly, I stuck up for Lee / Woodface when he joined, not because I agreed with him, but because he was new. And I also did the same for the Trouble sisters, Fletch, and others. Again, not because I agree with or am Special Friends of these people - but because they were new.

Possibly, we could "formalise" this somehow?

For example, we could:
    - put something about the rules to say "please be especially courteous and welcoming to new posters"
    - encourage people to reply to all first posts with "welcome" messages
    - be more heavy-handed on discipline for people who are aggressive to new members

But to be honest, I'm not sure if that's the right approach - what do others think?

I think sometimes more could be done to support newbies.

Is there a list of what words are banned / will be amended with **** ?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It has been fun, and you have livened up the forum.

Why thank you, kind sir

I suppose we could use [mod]...[/mod] tags?
    I think this is the best way, with coloured text too just so it stands out. Works a treat on the other fora I'm on. There's no ambiguity, everyone is clear when there has been mod intervention, or when the mod is responding as themselves and not in an official capacity.

Indeed true, but we are talking about bullying, not offense, and for that to be true someone needs to have been bullied and I don't see evidence of that. swp can take care of herself i think
    Keep offending and it is bullying.

I was not stating whether I thought that bullying occurred or not or whether in fact swp could take care of herself. The point I made is that neither you nor I could decide what is offensive to another and the fact that somebody else could detect bullying and they themsleves be offended.

Blog Entries

Mod hat on...

This is the exact point, where the difficulty lies. and 'we' (mods) have to make judgement calls all the time on this.

As DB said, we often have discussions and don't always agree! (I usually win though)

Personally, I don't like it when someone comes out, making a big noise, shouting the odds, then when things don't exactly go the way they 'thought/or wanted, then ask/demand us to 'delete' the thread, or infract the person they've been goading all along, for simply retaliating in a 'robust' manor!

The good thing is, the longer I'm here, and I'd say i'mpretty experienced at this job now the more I get to see and learn everyone's little traits... who does what and their motives.

I'm not as silly as I look sometimes

Mod hat off...

The people I admire and appreciate the most on this forum, are the one's who have the ability to debate 'reasonably', who have 'open minds' and are 'willing to listen' to alternative views, the people who don't have to result to getting personal and sarcastic to 'score points', the people who can be humble and admit when they sometimes get things wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I disagree, in that, if you want to make "out there" quotes, people will want to substansiate those quotes.

If you hide and make comments, then you should expect people to question those comments.

If you stand up proud and strong, say who you are, and what you think, then respect to that.

If someone is hiding behind a veil, cap or hoody, the natuaral reaction is to ask, "what are you hiding for".
    I admit to bias, but I do not think it a good idea to ask people wearing a hood what they have to hide.

I try to treat people with respect until I discover they do not deserve respect. Some others treat everybody with suspicion until they find out that they can be trusted. My take on that is that very few of us do not bear the scar of a self-inflicted wound. If people cannot be trusted not to hurt themselves how can they be trusted not to hurt me?

Until I learn otherwise I assume people are doing their best and have good intentions. I do not try to learn otherwise on first or casual acquaintance.

Even the worst of people can have valuable knowledge and opinions. Even the best can sometimes talk rubbish. I just read the posts and react to what I read, try to value them mostly for what they are.

Keep offending and it is bullying.

I was not stating whether I thought that bullying occurred or not or whether in fact swp could take care of herself. The point I made is that neither you nor I could decide what is offensive to another and the fact that somebody else could detect bullying and they themsleves be offended.

I can't be arsed (can I say that?) to look up the proper form of words, but it's along the lines of bullying / harrassment can be a ONE-OFF occurance, or a repeated series of incidences. It's not about how it's mean to be taken, it's about how it's received. And as a couple of others I think have pointed out - it may not be the subject of the intended / non-intended bullying / harrassment who can be offended.

You've all seen the sketch from the Office when David Brent is making racist jokes and he's surprised when it wasn't the black guy who put in the complaint. I think it was the girl in the wheelchair, but I could be wrong (it happens occassionally).

I'm not saying any of this because I feel I've been bullied / harrasssed. yes I am more than capable of sticking up for myself (thank you those who have acknowledged that) but I also feel some users have been more than a little harsh. But I digress. Slightly. There are clearly some other users who feel that I have been bullied / harrassed (again, thanks for the support guys n gals). Going back to what I said before about the forum having a poor rep - this is precisely the sort of thing which will not help it. Makes no odds whether this goes on in the private areas or the public bits - word gets out, and either way it's not acceptable imho. And again, so we're clear - I'm not necessarily talking about me, and no I shan't be pointing you in the direction of other instances - you don't need me to do that.

Please don't take this post as me having a go, I'm not. I'm just trying to help, honest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    (I usually win though)
    That's only because you usually agree with me

Weren't you going to suggest an idea...?

Thread Information