View Poll Results: What do you think about the level of moderation?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too strict

2 7.14%
  • About right

20 71.43%
  • Too lenient

4 14.29%
  • Don't know

2 7.14%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about moderation

Re: Discussion about moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    With too much moderation you no longer have a forum...
    What you end up with is fluffy bunny stuff, and nothing else and then the forum dies (as has happened with another forum I was a contributor to)

one of the most sensible things that have been said on here for a long time lol

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    We do have discussions, you know - lots of them. Sometimes we have a thread of 20+ posts, discussing actions to take over a single post Of course, I win all the arguments.

In addition, most of the actions we take are audited, and are usually on the basis of member requests or reported posts (which is why we always encourage members to use the report post button, that's what it's there for).

So there's often a lot going on behind the scenes before we take actions, especially controversial or significant ones.

I think we all need to feel very scared now as the mods are obviously talking about us behind our backs isnt there something we can do about it under the data protection act or some such nonsense

Right thats the funny stuff out of the way
    personally i feel the moderation is spot on almost all the time if i start to feel it isnt (or that a thread isnt going the way i want it to) i remind myself i am here by choice it isnt real life if i didnt like it i dont actually have to log on
    Moderating as i have siad on quite a few occasions is a thankless task we should be grateful to the mods for giving up their time (i guess franck doesnt pay them) to try and help this place run smoothly

oh and i bet it was djb who voted for too lenient

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post

You think? You calling him a fascist ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You think? You calling him a fascist ?
    now as if i would do a thing like that

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    I voted for "about right", because I'm confident that we're perfect

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

ah then i think it was martingold who voted for "Too lenient" . Misdirection...i like it

Commercial Operator

I'm afraid I must agree with this. As moderators they are almost perfect.

However, as a Modern Jiver with a perfect body David Bailey is a portly Tango Dancer*.

* I find myself unable to post a compliment about DB without adding a small, but loving, insult

Actually, I have a serious question - how do we know who the Mods are? I'm looking at the left hand panel and I can see nothing jumping out at me to say who they are. Am I missing something?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swp View Post
    Actually, I have a serious question - how do we know who the Mods are? I'm looking at the left hand panel and I can see nothing jumping out at me to say who they are. Am I missing something?
    yes. experience. You don't walk into the room at a party and expect to know everyone!

Not that I care if anyone is anonymous, seems like a good idea if you ask me

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Actually, I have a serious question - how do we know who the Mods are?
    The administration team is:
    - Franck
    - Tiggerbabe

The moderating team is:
    - David Bailey
    - Ducasi
    - Kev F
    - Lory

Yes, possibly we should have that information available somewhere for new members...

Take a look over there to the left above the cute picture... <–––

The forum has two admins – Franck and Tiggerbabe (Sheena). They *are* Ceroc Scotland.

The (active) moderators are Lory, David Bailey and myself. (Kev F and Emma are maybe what you'd call "sleeping moderators".)

None of the moderators have any direct affiliation with Ceroc.
    Last edited by ducasi; 8th-October-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

yes. experience. You don't walk into the room at a party and expect to know everyone!

Not that I care if anyone is anonymous, seems like a good idea if you ask me
    Huh??

On every other forum I am on it is very clear who the mods and admins are - they either have a clue under their login name, like "Moderator" and / or they type in a different colour when they are responding in their mod capacity. That way everyone knows when something is being said "officially" - the person who is being brought into line knows, and everyone else knows - so they can see that moderating is happening.

On here it's not easy to spot whether a "normal" user is just trying to settle things, or whether it's a mod jumping in - except with Lory who was kind enough to introduce herself.

Personally I think it would help combat some of the negative press you get if the mods presences were more noticeble.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Take a look over there to the left above the cute picture... <–––

The forum has two admins – Franck and Tiggerbabe (Sheena). They *are* Ceroc Scotland.

The (active) moderators are Lory, David Bailey and myself. (Kev F and Emma are maybe what you'd call "sleeping moderators".)

None of the moderators have any direct affiliation with Ceroc.
    Thank you Ducasi, and David Bailey.

What you have (Ducasi) is precisely what I meant - I just missed it on yours - sorry!

I think this forum could be better moderated, and the sort of things that swp and Poi Boy have mentioned could be done... IF we had a much bigger moderating team.

But given the limited time we have to contribute, I don't think we do so badly at the moment.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Personally I think it would help combat some of the negative press you get if the mods presences were more noticeble.
    A bit off-topic (sorry!), but I'm curious about this "negative press" - who, how, where, why, what?

Whenever I've mentioned the forum in passing to other dancers, there is sometimes a vague awareness of it's existence, but no interest in it whatsoever. SWP's comments make it sound as if there is a rumbling of discontent in the MJ world about the goings on on the forum...

Blog Entries

or they type in a different colour when they are responding in their mod capacity. That way everyone knows when something is being said "officially" - the person who is being brought into line knows, and everyone else knows - so they can see that moderating is happening.
    That's a fab idea. There have been times when DJB (for instance) has posted & people have been confused as to whether he was posting as a mod, or as his normal cheery self. And if people take it the wrong way... he gets a bit.... well..... ermmm....

The administration team is:
    - Franck
    - Tiggerbabe

The moderating team is:
    - David Bailey
    - Ducasi
    - Kev F
    - Lory

Yes, possibly we should have that information available somewhere for new members...
    ooh i didnt know that hehehee

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

On here it's not easy to spot whether a "normal" user is just trying to settle things, or whether it's a mod jumping in - except with Lory who was kind enough to introduce herself.
    Ah right - i got confused (knowing people generally). Yes, I agree its not obvious enough for newcomers.

Re: Banned from Ceroc nationally, time to say goodbye

Really ? What about it was bullying ? If SWP had not responded to the queries of her sudden manner of posting, the conversation would have ended there - and i notice the most robust arguing comes from SWP. Bullying ? I think you need to witness real bullying
    Real bullying is asking a new girl at the school who is wearing a veil what she has to hide, are you ugly? Or a hoody what crime they committed that they do not want to be recognised.

Real bullying is surrounding such a person by the old boys and girls, including the prefects, all suggesting that f they had nothing to hide they would show their face.

I think I can recognise real bullying.

There was a story on TV about a young girl who had lost all of her hair entering her teens. She sat in the exam hall with a cap on. The teacher in charge ripped her cap off. The hall was filled with 400 students. People have their own reasons for wanting privacy.

Several members of this forum, IMO, has shown unreasonable suspicion and hostility to a newcomer. IMO If the forum did not have a bad reputation it is moving towards earning one.

Re: Banned from Ceroc nationally, time to say goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Real bullying is asking a new girl at the school who is wearing a veil what she has to hide, are you ugly? Or a hoody what crime they committed that they do not want to be recognised.

Real bullying is surrounding such a person by the old boys and girls, including the prefects, all suggesting that f they had nothing to hide they would show their face.

I think I can recognise real bullying.

There was a story on TV about a young girl who had lost all of her hair entering her teens. She sat in the exam hall with a cap on. The teacher in charge ripped her cap off. The hall was filled with 400 students. People have their own reasons for wanting privacy.

Several members of this forum, IMO, has shown unreasonable suspicion and hostility to a newcomer. IMO If the forum did not have a bad reputation it is moving towards earning one.
    I disagree, in that, if you want to make "out there" quotes, people will want to substansiate those quotes.

If you hide and make comments, then you should expect people to question those comments.

If you stand up proud and strong, say who you are, and what you think, then respect to that.

If someone is hiding behind a veil, cap or hoody, the natuaral reaction is to ask, "what are you hiding for".

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    That's a fab idea. There have been times when DJB (for instance) has posted & people have been confused as to whether he was posting as a mod, or as his normal cheery self. And if people take it the wrong way... he gets a bit.... well..... ermmm....

See, I do have my uses

Thread Information