Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: what have you done to make you feel proud.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: what have you done to make you feel proud.

I'm confused to be honest. I read a statement like "its sometimes hard to believe I have real friends that would do something like that for me" to be a nice statement of thankfulness for everyone who has ever been helpful, with an acceptance that it was not always deserving (well done Fletch). For it to turn into a bitter response and an even more bitter rebuttal suggests there was already problems between the two people involved. Basically, I think you soft southerners are all weird, and should try and get on a bit better

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    us nice people as "prey"

- snip -
    us "nice" people
    Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    And when some of us point out that people have been "not nice" there are certain "nice" people who ask "how can you say such nasty things about someone?"
    Martin may think that my warning "nice" people about those who are "not nice" is, somehow, laughable and/or deserving of ridicule. Or maybe he thinks I'm "not nice" - perhaps he could give us an example of a situation where I've behaved in this way?

As I said, there are some nasty people preying on the nice people in the world of MJ. When you've been around for long enough you find out who some of them are. There are good people who "stand idly by" and let those nasty people ply their trade. This is a minor sin of omission compared to Martin's attempt above. What Martin is trying to do is silence or make fun of someone who is giving a warning, who is sticking his neck out - what makes Martin able to judge and what makes him so much better? And when was the last time he did something helpful rather than obstructive and rude?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I'm confused to be honest. I read a statement like "its sometimes hard to believe I have real friends that would do something like that for me" to be a nice statement of thankfulness for everyone who has ever been helpful
    That is the way I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

Me too, though I can see how Stokie would have gotten his interpretation. Besides which, he and Fletch have had 'issues' since he started dancing IIRC

I think incidents like this are inevitable if you choose to live your life in such a public fashion on the forum.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Personally I treat others with respect and with kindness until they prove they don't deserve to be treated in that way.
    Yeah?

Personally I treat others with disdain and contempt by default.

Hey, it works for me

Basically, I think you soft southerners are all weird, and should try and get on a bit better

To get this back onto topic:

To those friends on forum and off, dance and non dance alike :

Thank you for the emails, chats, lifts to places I could not reach on my own, dances and especially the countless hugs and advice...

Thank you for being there when I was down, thank you for timing the hug perfectly, for calling when I needed you but couldn't find the courage or words to ask, for that perfect dance that helped me cope elsewhere.....

Thank you for just being you when I needed you most.. I know I probably haven't shown how much I value you, but I would just like to say THANK YOU so much!

I value you all, more than any of you will ever know.....

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post

I read Fletch’s post as a warm and public acknowledgement of someone simply being nice to her, and Fletch saying that she didn’t feel she always deserved it. She wanted to say thank you to GD and Paul for making her feel special on this occasion, and that is lovely.

I am pretty sure that she didn’t mean anyone else take offence. This was more to do with Fletch not valuing herself. Hope I’ve got that interpretation right Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I also thought that it would be nice for others to share any proud moment we have.

I lay in bed last night thinking about what they did, its sometimes hard to believe I have real friends that would do something like that for me, the only people I have in my life from before my lifestyle change are my two children and my mother, I have NO ONE AT ALL from before. (not that I deserve any)

It got me thinking have you ever gone the extra mile?

Has anyone ever gone the extra mile for you?
    And in the spirit that she started this thread, maybe we could try recounting kind acts that other people have done for us or we have done for other people?

I find it easier to remember things that have been done for me rather than things I might have done for other people strangely. The first one that springs to mind is a few years ago, I was putting the rubbish out on a rainy night, slipped on the tiles outside the front door and bashed my head on the window sill quite badly – there was bloody everywhere. I called a friend up, and despite the fact that it was only a few weeks after she’d been mugged at knifepoint and was terrified of being out after dark at that point, she came over and helped calm me down and patch me up, and then called me in the morning to make sure that I was still conscious and not concussed and out cold!

More recently there were the people who stopped to help me when I was hit by the reversing car last year. They didn’t know me and yet they stopped, held up the traffic, called the ambulance, covered me with their coats, held my head still and comforted and reassured me whilst waiting for the medics to arrive. There were also the friends who came and waited with me at the hospital, brought clothes for me to wear, took me home and who then spent the night on my sofabed to make sure that I'd be OK.

Anybody have other acts of kindness to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

I find it easier to remember things that have been done for me rather than things I might have done for other people strangely.
    Not for me, still chasing down the guy who didn’t acknowledge me when I let his car in re the M6 jam back in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I read this post with a very heavy heart Fletch

I seem to remember **** ****** spending so much time and effort to look after your interests at many weekenders. Carrying your bags, getting your electricity and hot water sorted for you. Giving his time to you so that your weekenders would be enhanced.
    If you have a spare hand , Caroline weekender Bags usually way about 30Kg

Back on the thread , im proud I haven’t ‘responded’ to a certain promise someone made which hasn’t been fulfilled

I known what that person is like so why would I expect any difference

I’m find it hard sometime to break out of a circle

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

I read Fletch’s post as a warm and public acknowledgement of someone simply being nice to her, and Fletch saying that she didn’t feel she always deserved it. She wanted to say thank you to GD and Paul for making her feel special on this occasion, and that is lovely.

I am pretty sure that she didn’t mean anyone else take offence. This was more to do with Fletch not valuing herself. Hope I’ve got that interpretation right Fletch

Thank you, it was exactly as I ment it, but with hindsight I should have released I left myself open as an easy target.

I have never said I get it right all the time, I am big enough to admit my mistakes, what started as a bit of a fun thing with the guy that helped me, things had obviously changed and I hadn't noticed, I care for him hugely, and no matter what I always will, and I wouldn't hurt him for the world, if I had have known I would never have let him help me, especially to have it thrown in my face, not by him, but others.

I am very grateful for all the help I have received from franchises regards my children, perhaps the clue is there.

I have offered my total support to them, Debbie Atwood is going to be doing a child club on a Saturday morning I will drive the 1hr 20 mins to reach the venue and take as may children as I can, mine will be there to offer support to any newbies, John Backer i'm sure would say, that at every opportunity I promote his venue, with busks, and recently calling all the local papers for publicity for the Trinny and Suzanne show that was filmed at Solihull, we managed to get in 2. I spent 2 days collecting demo's dropping them off and travelling to and from Stafford to Solihull, Rugby, etc.

For all the other venue owners and franchises that have helped me I would just like to put it on record.

thank you

Me and Trouble have given up smoking today

Its hard but will be worth it this time next year

Scarface out xxx

Martin may think that my warning "nice" people about those who are "not nice" is, somehow, laughable and/or deserving of ridicule. Or maybe he thinks I'm "not nice" - perhaps he could give us an example of a situation where I've behaved in this way?

As I said, there are some nasty people preying on the nice people in the world of MJ. When you've been around for long enough you find out who some of them are. There are good people who "stand idly by" and let those nasty people ply their trade. This is a minor sin of omission compared to Martin's attempt above. What Martin is trying to do is silence or make fun of someone who is giving a warning, who is sticking his neck out - what makes Martin able to judge and what makes him so much better? And when was the last time he did something helpful rather than obstructive and rude?
    Just in case i am the martin that you are having a go at i was purely being sarcastic and having a joke (which i think these days seems lost on this forum) about you being able to call yourself a nice person.
    I dont call myself a nice person its not for me to judge myself i would have others judge me on what i do
    I am however honest i do atempt to do things for others before i do something for myself (a constant complaint of my wife)
    I always go out of my way to help someone and expect no reward or praise
    I would rather give someone something than take from them
    And anyone who truely knows me will tell you that

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    ........... since he started dancing IIRC.
    I am mystified by this .... as I am by a lot of things on this forum . But then I am a fluffy bunny by nature - unless I am trying to dance tango !

BTW - thanks to everyone on the forum who has ever been nice to me and apologies if I have ever unintentionally upset anyone ! Both Fletch and Stokebloke have been particularly kind and then there is TB, of course, DTS, Steven 666, Caz,Trouble, Lory, DT, Gav, Rachel, Marc, Nothants Girly , ..... I could go on ..... and sorry if I have missed anyone out.
    xxxxxx

P.S. Don't worry DT, I have a sick bucket to hand!

Quote Originally Posted by scarface View Post
    Me and Trouble have given up smoking today

Its hard but will be worth it this time next year

Scarface out xxx

Good job, my son gave up smoking 4 weeks ago - I am so proud of him

A lot of his friends smoke, but he has stayed strong.
    Even with parties round my house, with many of his friends, he will go outside with them while they smoke, and still stay strong...

Commercial Operator

Just in case i am the martin that you are having a go at i was purely being sarcastic and having a joke (which i think these days seems lost on this forum) about you being able to call yourself a nice person.
    Yes, you are the Martin I was referring to. I wasn't being vague, I had quoted you earlier in the post.

And how do you expect us to know that the use of a smiley is sarcastic? Most of us like to think of ourselves as nice. Martin said he doesn't feel able to call himself nice - and then goes on to list the ways he feels he is nice.

Laughing at someone when they say the think they're nice is not something that is on the list of nice things. It's on the other, "not nice", list. But Martin has chosen to do it and has chosen not to apologise for it

Just in case i am the martin that you are having a go at
    I think the ...

Originally Posted by martingold

a few posts above, is the give away...

Oy, Andy, just to make it clear... everything you say is pure gold, but when refering to Martingold... maybe use Martingold and not Martin....

This Martin does think you are "nice"

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Surely thats a poll - is Andy "nice"

No poll needed.

Andy is a nice guy.

Nice guys are allowed to speak up and be counted.

Cool Re: what have you done to make you feel proud.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I also remember the ........
    I understand after re-reading your post that what you said could indeed be taken another way. When you came to respond to me you had a couple of choices Fletch, either point this misunderstanding out or denigrate the help and friendship that has been shown to you by me (and others) in the past. It does seem sad that you decided to do the latter. After reading your response I am now fully aware of your feelings towards those gestures of friendship that were offered

I was genuinely taken aback and hurt that after so much affection had been shown to you by myself and others, that you could publicly say you were surprised to have people show you consideration and friendship.

I am not perfect. So, if me misunderstanding of your words has caused you distress, then I unreservedly apologise.

Blog Entries

Or is Andy "naughty"?

Thread Information