4 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's going where? Weekend 10th/11th/12th October 2008

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 10th/11th/12th October 2008

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    In the meantime, I've removed the SPARE options, so if someone wants something added to this poll later on, tough.

Ahhh, Now it make sense as to what the SPARE was. I thought it was there due to the forum upgrade a few weeks back.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    but i got the first bit right you did get into trouble lol
    Oh dear!
    Last edited by Cruella; 9th-December-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify, if you vote on the "Spare - DO NOT VOTE" option, it means we can't use that option in future, it's useless; and we can't alter the votes manually because the software can't process changes correctly.

In short, the "DO NOT VOTE" text is there for a reason.

So, Cruella, the people you've caused problems for with that dumbass stunt are any other forum members, who might otherwise have wanted to have an option added to the poll. Now, they can't.

If you abuse the system, we'll just not bother in future, and you can sort out your own social life, how does that sound?
    Yet, as I pointed out elsewhere, you've had no compunction in spoiling similar polls yourself in the past. Seems a little hypocritical to start complaining now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
    Going to Britrock.

Interetesd to see how the WCS catogory works out.
    Yes, I'll be interested to see this too.

I don't think there will be a huge number of entries so I would hope that they can retain the admittedly very enticing £200 first prize for those who do make the effort. I said elsewhere that I am in two minds on this - I feel I should support it on the grounds of 'the more WCS comps in the UK the better' but I would also end up out of pocket unless I won having paid for fuel, food, admission and comp fees and there's never a guarantee of winning. I also think that there will be little or no credit given to the winners within the UK WCS scene given that the majority of dancers that I would have expected to do well in a WCS comp are either in the States or otherwise occupied this weekend. I know that's not the fault of those who do turn up to compete but it won't change the perception.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Yet, as I pointed out elsewhere, you've had no compunction in spoiling similar polls yourself in the past. Seems a little hypocritical to start complaining now.
    They're not equivalent, Rob, and I'm disappointed that you can't see the difference between one frivolous vote 18 months ago, and an abuse of a regular and established system now. But if you want to get into an argument about it, feel free, I'm definitely in the mood for it.

In this case, these polls take time and effort to set up, and we take a lot of flak as mods for the work we need to do, to keep them consistent with the rules and to ensure they're set up correctly.

If people want to deliberately abuse the system we've set up, then I find that offensive; it causes damage to the whole process.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Ahhh, Now it make sense as to what the SPARE was. I thought it was there due to the forum upgrade a few weeks back.
    I think it's because the forum software doesn't allow the mods to add a poll option in the middle of the list once the poll has been created, but it does allow them to change an option's text.

So DB was trying to be helpful be adding "Spare" options so that, if a new event was mentioned for Saturday, for example, all the Saturday events would appear together on the list.
    Love dance, will travel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I think it's because the forum software doesn't allow the mods to add a poll option in the middle of the list once the poll has been created, but it does allow them to change an option's text.

So DB was trying to be helpful be adding "Spare" options so that, if a new event was mentioned for Saturday, for example, all the Saturday events would appear together on the list.
    Yep, exactly, that's how it works.

Although in future, I for one will be less willing to do the "helpful" stuff, if this is the approach people take to it.

"I used to have so much mercy..."

They're not equivalent, Rob, and I'm disappointed that you can't see the difference between one frivolous vote 18 months ago, and an abuse of a regular and established system now. But if you want to get into an argument about it, feel free, I'm definitely in the mood for it.
    You should take up WCS David, get that frustration out of your system. All that dull, dull, dull walk, walk, walking in tango is just allowing it to simmer inside of you without an outlet.

I don't want an argument really but I am sure it was more than one poll that you voted for every option though. You did "deliberately abuse the system [that was] set up" and some people were annoyed by that, much as you are annoyed by Cruella's action.

In this case, these polls take time and effort to set up, and we take a lot of flak as mods for the work we need to do, to keep them consistent with the rules and to ensure they're set up correctly.
    I'd suggest a simple solution to this is to stick a deadline in for potential poll entries and stick to it thus obviating the need for the SPARE slots. Too late with your poll suggestion? tough sh*t, suggest it earlier next time!

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Yep, exactly, that's how it works.

Although in future, I for one will be less willing to do the "helpful" stuff, if this is the approach people take to it.

"I used to have so much mercy..."
    No need to throw your toys out of the pram David.

Rob does have a point in that in the past you did have an irritating habit of voting for every option on a poll.

Now you have pointed out how the poll setting up works and what problems it causes when folk take the **** I'm sure everyone will endevour to be good little forumites.

We DO appreciate what you guys do ok?

Blog Entries

I don't want an argument really
    It sounds very much like you do indeed want an argument to me.

but I am sure it was more than one poll that you voted for every option though.
    I'm sorry, but I'm failing to see where criticizing my personal actions, 18 months ago, silly though they may be, fits in here. Do you really want me to dig up some dumbo things you've done in the past? It's not a comparison I'm happy with, so please drop it.

You did "deliberately abuse the system [that was] set up" and some people were annoyed by that, much as you are annoyed by Cruella's action.
    Voting "frivolously" on a forum thread is one thing, going against the clear and attempting-to-be-helpful instructions of moderators is another. Is that difference not abundantly-clear?

Cruella, out of interest, exactly what part of "DO NOT VOTE" was difficult for you to understand?

I'd suggest a simple solution to this is to stick a deadline in for potential poll entries and stick to it thus obviating the need for the SPARE slots. Too late with your poll suggestion? tough sh*t, suggest it earlier next time!
    Funnily enough, we tried that one - and, hah, guess what, we got a lot of complaints from people saying "Oh, I didn't know the deadline was up".

So, to be helpful, we thought we'd provide this facility - Ducasi came up with the idea, actually. And up until now, I thought it was a good idea. Naively, I assumed that no-one would ignore the instructions. Silly me.

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    We DO appreciate what you guys do ok?
    Yeah? Frankly, at the moment, it doesn't feel like it. And patronising comments like "Don't throw your toys out of the pram" don't help much either.

I'm sorry, but I'm failing to see where criticizing my personal actions, 18 months ago, silly though they may be, fits in here. Do you really want me to dig up some dumbo things you've done in the past? It's not a comparison I'm happy with, so please drop it.
    I'm sorry but I am failing to see how you don't recognize the relevance By all means dig up 'dumbo things' I have done on here and I will gladly hold my hands up if, and only if, you catch me complaining about other forumites that have done the same 'dumbo things'

Voting "frivolously" on a forum thread is one thing, going against the clear and attempting-to-be-helpful instructions of moderators is another. Is that difference not abundantly-clear?.
    No it's not, simply because the only gauge of whether it's frivolous or not is in the perception of the person taking the action. I am sure Cruella felt that what she did was just voting 'frivolously', you saw it differently. Likewise what you saw in the past as voting 'frivolously' others would have viewed as spoiling the poll.

Funnily enough, we tried that one - and, hah, guess what, we got a lot of complaints from people saying "Oh, I didn't know the deadline was up".
    Well, tough love is called for. I carried my shopping home from the co-op at lunchtime because they charge 6p for carrier bags now - previously I'd always have taken one without thinking. I am not happy that they charge for carrier bags now but it's a change for the better.

It sounds very much like you do indeed want an argument to me.

Yeah? Frankly, at the moment, it doesn't feel like it. And patronising comments like "Don't throw your toys out of the pram" don't help much either.
    Well i for one always look to see who has voted for what. I may not vote myself but that because I never quite sure where to go! Keep up the good work.

Ooops, looks my frivolity to alleviate my boredom has caused a bit more of a stir than intended.
    Sorry Mr Moderator.

I presumed you would just remove my votes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I presumed you would just remove my votes.
    Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow this, if you modify votes, you screw up that option. So in effect, you destroyed those two options and made them useless. Which is why they had DO NOT VOTE on them.

Rob, you're comparing apples and oranges - it's one thing to vote on a frivolous one-off poll to show how it's been badly set-up, and it's another thing to abuse a well-established process and go against explicit moderator instructions. And I'm really not happy comparing my personal behaviour with my position as moderator; it's not relevant. So, please, drop it now, OK?

In future, if we do put "Spare" options on, can people please respect the process?

Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow this, if you modify votes, you screw up that option. So in effect, you destroyed those two options and made them useless. Which is why they had DO NOT VOTE on them.
    Er, yes I know that NOW!

Blog Entries

Er, yes I know that NOW!
    So, what, you thought we put that BIG SIGN IN CAPITAL LETTERS there for fun?

So, what, you thought we put that BIG SIGN IN CAPITAL LETTERS there for fun?
    Why not, afterall you do Tango for fun!

Blog Entries

Why not, afterall you do Tango for fun!
    I'm sorry, I just don't understand where you were coming from with that one. It just seems intentionally disruptive and abusive to me, and I don't see why you did it.

... I'd suggest a simple solution to this is to stick a deadline in for potential poll entries and stick to it thus obviating the need for the SPARE slots. Too late with your poll suggestion? tough sh*t, suggest it earlier next time!
    I have discovered charity events late on, and there have been events arranged at short notice. The "spare" method offers flexibility.

Thread Information