Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breeze Blues Championship - Best Non Teacher?

Re: Breeze Blues Championship - Best Non Teacher?

I found that to be the hardest part of the competition - Figuring our exactly what the judges were expecting in terms of Blues dancing. I went for absolute filth with Elaine in the DWAS comp., to the point where I had to dig out the Clear Blue when I got home, and it seemed to serve us well, albeit with our tongues very firmly in our cheeks. We spent a large part of the heats just playing up to the audience, but it was soooo much fun

In the main comp, though, we took things more seriously I had only met up with Becky on the day of the comp. and agreed to dance together, so we were a bit short on Blues type moves. Again, not knowing what the judges were looking for didn't help. It would be nice if somebody could define it for next year, although I guess the fact that it is so loose prompts a lot of variety in styles, which makes it more interesting for the audience. I think that I would concentrate a bit more on 'light and shade' next time around and add more variety to our style. We've got a whole year to practice, so watch out Spikey. We're coming for your title!!!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

(My opinion, FWIW, is that there's "Blues" and there's "MJ Blues", and that they're two different animals.)
    This is something that has been discussed lately off of the forum.

David I completely agree with you on this one.

Whilst MJ blues looks beautiful is what Alabama blues looks like.

Obviously in a competition the judges word is final and you have to accept that and competitors are at the mercy of what the judges are looking for on the day.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    David I completely agree with you on this one.
    It had to happen...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ... not sure what basis you have for that. There ARE Blues dancers outside Ceroc AND outside the S East .. and as I said, many didn't know about it. I must that I don't immediately associate Ceroc with Blues. HAVING SAID THAT, the Breeze competition is the only Blues competition at the moment so your achievement in winning the event demands due respect.

Good point. Another possible view is that given that Lucky & Ruby's style of Blues bears no relation to UK Blues (see all the postings last yaer) a more appropriate forum for a Blues Champs would be the N&N Blues event in Jan which IS well known as a blues event through the UK. After all, its N&N who got thge Blues things going and are still recognised by many as the 'soul' of Blues ... if I may mix metaphors so badly.
    Thanks Gus. Yes I think the event is called 'Swingin the Blues'. I have not been able to make it so far due to holidays and hope to make January if it happens. Nigel and Nina were judges at the Breeze Competition and I don't think many people would disagree with you.

Sorry, are you having a go at me? Or at Gus? Or what?

If so, want to make it a bit clearer? I genuinely thought you were asking for information - can you let me know what you actually mean?

- Considering that there seem to be about 20 Blues Champions around, one more competition won't make much difference

Oh, wait, you wanted constructive thoughts? On a Friday afternoon?
    I read this as a negative comment and wanted to clear it up although I was at the same time interested if there were events I was unaware of.

My original question was in regards to having an advanced winner within the same field not particularly the threads that I read last year.

I generally do not set out to have a go at anybody Here are some smiley faces

Steve

"Blues" events have been going on in the UK Modern Jive scene for at least 10 years to my knowledge.

So your opinion is, if not totally wrong, missing out a heck of a lot of context.

There's also many many debates about what "Blues" is within an MJ context - did you actually read those threads I linked to? And those debates have been going on for several years also.

I'd be very interested in your input in this area, of course, but if you did a bit of background research on this area it might help.

(My opinion, FWIW, is that there's "Blues" and there's "MJ Blues", and that they're two different animals.)
    After reading your comment I would change my wording from ' led the way' to taking the baton and running with it.

I agree on the separation of blues and MJ Blues although I do not get to label the competitions. I prefer our style of MJ blues although I have enjoyed the influence of Lucky and Ruby.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    My view is that Breeze is still seen principally as a MJ weekender during which a competition happens rather than a competition around which a weekend is based (and I don't think that Ceroc would want it to be the other way around). I don't think this detracts from the achievement of winning it but it does indicate why it may not have the profile nationally of some of the other competitions.

Other competitions tend to stand on their own as events which gives them a stronger focus and a more distinct profile. All IMHO.
    No arguments there and due to that it will affect the people that are attracted to the competition. For the dance with a stranger I think this means people entered who would not ordinarily be attracted to a competition.

Thread Information