Thread: anyone help me reminisce

anyone help me reminisce

My name is Prian. I began Cerocing in January 1993 in London. Wondering if there is anyone from those days. Do you remember the SW1 Club, the Hibernian Club, YWCA, St. Pauls Onslow Square, drinking in the Clock Bar of the Bedford Hotel. Anyone remember Victor, Kate, the TAXI auditions etc. Or am I just going back too far.

Re: anyone help me reminisce

I remember dancing at St. Paul's. Dancing on a cork floor. (The youngsters of today ...) I had some super dances with the lady that acted as DJ, and went back a couple of times, shunning the Casbah which was just too crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Prian View Post
    My name is Prian. I began Cerocing in January 1993 in London. Wondering if there is anyone from those days. Do you remember the SW1 Club, the Hibernian Club, YWCA, St. Pauls Onslow Square, drinking in the Clock Bar of the Bedford Hotel. Anyone remember Victor, Kate, the TAXI auditions etc. Or am I just going back too far.
    Prian - have you checked out the history of modern jive put together by John Sweeney?

Have a look at his (excellent) web site - there is loads of detail on the history. (PS I read this some months ago when it first came out - and I was intrigued by the 'Goldbug' track - Alan Parsons project, so I got hold of it. It is probably NOT something that would get played these days - and does not sound very danceable (hmmm - 'challenging' almost) - still interesting nevertheless.

See Modern Jive - Ceroc, Le Roc, etc. - Videos, DVDs, Classes, Events, Workshops, Holidays, Weekends

For example:

James Cronin employed Michel Ange Lau to choreograph a routine for the November 1982 Ceroc Ball, a charity event at the Hammersmith Palais that attracted 1200 people. This routine was performed to "Gold Bug", and the moves recorded for the first time. "Gold Bug" is from "The Turn of a Friendly Card" by the Alan Parsons Project.

Ceroc gets national publicity for first time: The November 1982 Ceroc Ball in Harpers & Queen.
    Copyright Harpers & Queen.

...and fast forward to:

Ceroc introduced Taxi Dancers to help beginners.
    Ceroc published the StepCheck cards describing how to do 12 Beginner moves.
    In Spring, Robert Austin ran the first UK Modern Jive competition - a small event on a Thursday evening. However a full page about it in the Evening Standard caused the Hammersmith Palais to approach Robert Austin about running a competition there.
    In the Autumn, the first Modern Jive Open Competition took place at the Hammersmith Palais.

1997 programme - does anyone have an earlier one?
    Last edited by JiveLad; 29th-September-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad
    ....1997 programme - does anyone have an earlier one?
    I do, I have 1994 and 1995 and I think I have others too .......... (the first one was 1994 I think)

I also have the video of 1995 (because I made the finals in the DWAS with the previous year's winner Paul James)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    I do, I have 1994 and 1995 and I think I have others too .......... (the first one was 1994 I think)

I also have the video of 1995 (because I made the finals in the DWAS with the previous year's winner Paul James)
    Hiya! The request was actually from John Sweeney - I'm sure he would be really interested. I think he is doing a really great job of piecing it all together - and I guess he would appreciate these kinds of things!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Hiya! The request was actually from John Sweeney - I'm sure he would be really interested. I think he is doing a really great job of piecing it all together - and I guess he would appreciate these kinds of things!
    I know, I have quite a bit of input for John, there is a chunk of stuff missing, which I know about. He has asked me a couple of times - I must get it together and contact him.

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

Fulham (Leopard bar - next to the tube station) Central club (off Tottenham court road) and Casbah, were the London venues I chose.

Central club was Vicktor teaching on a Wednesday, Casbah, Friday, being Mike - Fulham, was about atmosphere etc. the teaching was not so hot, but the venue was good.
    (Is central club SW1?)

First memory of Vicktor outside of teaching, was following him by motorbike through the streets of London, to the "after Casbah" venue, which had a rock and roll band and food. That man was a mad driver - I only just kept up...
    I think maybe he was trying to lose me, as he was supprised I was still with him when we arrived!

Ceroc published the StepCheck cards describing how to do 12 Beginner moves.
    I still have a 16 beginner moves leaflet from the early days... Picked this one up from Manchester.

In Spring, Robert Austin ran the first UK Modern Jive competition - a small event on a Thursday evening. However a full page about it in the Evening Standard caused the Hammersmith Palais to approach Robert Austin about running a competition there.
    In the Autumn, the first Modern Jive Open Competition took place at the Hammersmith Palais.

1997 programme - does anyone have an earlier one?
    I did not keep the programme, but did keep the Christmas edition Mag, which had the results of the comp in.

They showed all finals placings and the scores (out of 120)

I entered the Intermediates, but got shoved up to the Classic section - was happy to reach the finals, so kept the mag with the results in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There are a few of us still around... I definitely remember Central Club and drinking in the Clock Bar afterwards (did Ceroc finish earlier in those days?). I used to do Conway Hall on a Tuesday and SW1 too. I remember Victor's first night at Ceroc....

What about Freestyles at Notre Dame Leicester Square? The first incarnation of the Casbah?? The Ceroc Marathons? (I still have the T-shirt from the 92 or 93 one somewhere). Did you ever do any of the Charleston Balls??? They were just amazing. I remember at the time some of us suggested we should do a 10 year reunion one which sadly never happened.

I don't remember any taxi auditions though - I think that must have been a bit later? And despite the nice memories, Ceroc has got an awful lot better since those days...

FunkyAngel

I have the 1995, 1996, 1997 vids - I did not keep the paperwork though.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyAngel View Post
    What about Freestyles at Notre Dame Leicester Square?
    FunkyAngel
    The Brighton crowd used to come up for that one, then round the corner to Chinatown for a feed, or hotdogs in the square.

In the end, coz so many of us came up, we used to hire a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    The Brighton crowd used to come up for that one, then round the corner to Chinatown for a feed, or hotdogs in the square.

In the end, coz so many of us came up, we used to hire a coach.
    ahhhhhhhhhhh............. I remember it well

It is where I first met Franco (when he was dancing), Roger Chin, Jon Brett etc etc., fab times

Do you remember the night our coach driver has a drink (or two) whilst waiting for us ........... the drive home was certainly interesting we were swaying from side to side on the motorway, Janine was screaming (and she is a doctor) - wonder what happened to her ??
    Last edited by Minnie M; 2nd-October-2008 at 06:24 PM.

--ooOoo--

Commercial Operator

Aaah - nostalgia.

In a sense I'm from those days - I started Ceroc in mid-1993 - but I was very much South Coast based, back in those pre-Mojive days. My London experience was limited to one of the Ceroc 24 hour marathons, a couple of LeJive open comps, and a few trips to the 100 club - but I honestly can't remember when most of those were (apart from the comps, which were, I think, the 1997/1998 ones)

All that time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Aaah - nostalgia.

In a sense I'm from those days - I started Ceroc in mid-1993 - but I was very much South Coast based, back in those pre-Mojive days. My London experience was limited to one of the Ceroc 24 hour marathons, a couple of LeJive open comps, and a few trips to the 100 club - but I honestly can't remember when most of those were (apart from the comps, which were, I think, the 1997/1998 ones)

All that time ago...
    Do you remember Linda Ellard (nee Barker) teaching in Southampton (or was it Bournemouth) and Mike & Linda's Strictly events in Minstead ???

--ooOoo--

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    Aaah - nostalgia.

All that time ago...
    I have realised that I have been dancing MJ for longer than I thought. I had a ticket for the 1996 Le Jive comp, but missed it to paint the garden gate to pacify my wife. The 1998 comp was when I first saw Nigel & Nina. At that moment I first realised that MJ could be an art form. Later in the comp I also realised that it also had comedic potential. It also had a performance by David B & Lily which showed it could be acrobatic as well. From that day I have been doing whatever I could to promote MJ.

I still treasure the videos from 98 & 99 (the last ) and wish I could see what I missed in 97. (What one does for love I never really got on with that garden gate.)

The 99 showcases of "Witch Doctor" and "Titanic" are the two clips I would love to put on youtube or elsewhere on the net. One to show the exuberance and humour that can be part of MJ, and the other to show that it can be real dancing. I did email Robert Austen way back to ask who owned the copyright for the videos, but got no reply.

Notre Dame had a special atmosphere. The 100 club I had known for decades before. My first date with my wife was dancing Trad Jive to the Chris Barber band there.

OMG. That brings back very unwelcome memories of early Spandau ballet...

Commercial Operator

Do you remember Linda Ellard (nee Barker) teaching in Southampton (or was it Bournemouth) and Mike & Linda's Strictly events in Minstead ???
    No, to the first, and I missed out on the Strictly events (ironic really, as my other half went to some of those, but we didn't properly meet until 2002)

I did go to quite a few freestyles at Minstead though (great venue)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The 1998 comp was when I first saw Nigel & Nina. At that moment I first realised that MJ could be an art form.
    I had a similar reaction seeing them in '97... the results of the '98 comp, however, had me swearing I'd never attend the event again, so I didn't go in '99.

Somewhere, we have a video of (I think) the '98 event - and we watched some of it a couple of years ago from a sense of nostalgia. It was eerie beyond belief watching the camera pan across this room full of bouncing heads and hands, and...

There's my other half (four years before we actually met). There's X, who I know from... and Y from ... and isn't that .... and ... oops - there's that ex , and... there's me and oh GOD I pray I don't dance like that anymore , and...

So many familiar faces, many of them people I'd not even met at the time. Spooky.

Glad to see you are enjoying the Modern Jive Timeline at modernjive.com

Please do send me anything that I can add to it - my address is john@modernjive.com

Happy dancing,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSweeney View Post
    Glad to see you are enjoying the Modern Jive Timeline at modernjive.com

Please do send me anything that I can add to it - my address is john@modernjive.com

Happy dancing,
    John
    Just checked and I have 1995, 1997 (which you have) 1998 & 1999 programmes (not sure where 1996 went) and a few Ceroc Addiction magazines

Will try and remember to scan progs

--ooOoo--

Thread Information