View Poll Results: Who's going where? Weekend 3rd/4th/5th October 2008

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fri - Negracha's Tango Jivers meet - Central London

5 9.26%
  • Fri - Ceroc Central - Luton

8 14.81%
  • Fri - Ceroc Central - Northampton (Cripps)

0 0%
  • Fri - Blitz Jive - Crookes, Sheffield

1 1.85%
  • Spare DO NOT VOTE

0 0%
  • Sat - JiveAid - Shifnal

2 3.70%
  • Sat - Decadance Bow Ties & Tiaras Ball - Worthing

5 9.26%
  • Sat - Black n White Ball (GingerJive) - Newbury

4 7.41%
  • Sat - Ceroc party - Bonar Hall, Dundee

8 14.81%
  • Sat - Ceroc South Birmingham - Wythall

0 0%
  • Sat - Ceroc London - Hammersmith

8 14.81%
  • Sat - Advanced workshop (CerocOxford) - Abingdon

0 0%
  • Spare DO NOT VOTE

0 0%
  • Sun aft/eve - Night-club 2-step and 2-step workshop - Bllisworth, Northants

1 1.85%
  • Sun - freestyle - bossa nova worcs

3 5.56%
  • Sun - Berko - Berkhamsted

7 12.96%
  • Spare DO NOT VOTE

0 0%
  • All week - Jive Addiction holiday - Mallorca

0 0%
  • Ceroc France (Marseille) All week-end Focus workshops & Party

3 5.56%
  • Other

4 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who's going where? Weekend 3rd/4th/5th October 2008

Re: Who's going where? Weekend 3rd/4th/5th October 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Easily Led View Post
    Interesting night at Luton Freestyle last night.
    I did not go to Luton because I expected the DJ to be the one there last time I went.

Great venue

with loads of seating
    I do not care about the seating, I go places to dance.

and pretty roomy dance floor;
    Only roomy if the attendance is below capacity.

excellent spacious toilets and cheap drinks and free water.
    If a venue is part of a sports complex and is part of a sports centre it is easy to make a compelling case for cheap, or free, water on health grounds.

I thought the music was great as ever from Marc -
    If I had known the DJ was going to be Marc I would have attended

The only thing that stopped it from being an amazing night for me was the gender imbalance - not enough men .
    I can only vouch for quantity, not quality, but if I had been there the ladies would have 50+ more dances.
    --------------
    Rant: When I used to go there the seating was was split into areas and was around large circular tables. These tables take up a lot of room and only allow comfortable conversation with the people sitting next to you or sitting near you on an adjacent table.

In the main seating area the tables act as barriers and it is very difficult to get to the ladies sitting at the back to ask them to dance. I notice this because I keep an eye out for ladies not getting their share of dances. Usually this is only because they are new, new to the venue or shy. There is no obvious space where ladies can stand comfortably to better their chances of getting a dance.

I do not like the table end of the floor at Luton. I prefer to dance at the quiet edges of a dancefloor , and especially in the quiet corners where I can concentrate on my partner and the dance. The over large tables take up so much space that they crowd the dance floor at one end. At the other end the stage is bigger than it need be. A lot of the bar traffic impinges on the dance floor. I think this is a hazard.

The last time I went the DJ had the speakers on the stage. This is a common malpractise in the CC area. They are too loud for dancers near the stage. The speakers have a screw fitting in the bottom to fit on stands that elevate them over the people nearby and give an even sound distribution across the dancefloor.

These speakers destroyed the last of the corners as a comfort zone for me. The one remaining bit of dance floor that generally had enough space for adventure and lacked bar traffic was by centre stage. There the DJ had mounted a disco light that projected rotating images 5ft wide onto the wall 50 ft away. These were bright enought to be clearly visible with the lights full on. You could see the shadows of dancers heads on the wall. At close range these blinded me for several seconds. I pointed out to the DJ that IMO this was dangerous. I complained at the door and was told nothing could be done. I demonstrated that the light could be masked out at head level, they removed the masking.

As always, whn I am presented with what is believed to be bad service I left and vowed not to return until things changed.

If I had know Marc was DJ that would have been sufficient change for me to return.

For the record the DJ Roy Carroll set up the same disco light at Bedford to project onto the far wall. I made the same complaint to him. He walked over to the light and turned it upside down, so it now projected mostly onto the ceiling. Problem solved in 10 seconds.

Well I had a reasonable time at Hammersmith on Saturday. It started off a bit roughly – had some rather disappointing dances in the first half, and the floor at the back of the room was a bit sticky, though it was better at the front. I also found the music a bit thumpy and the mix of tracks a bit uneven. It was also relatively quiet, presumably due to Rebel Yell being on. That doesn’t bother me, but oddly it meant that the floorcraft was even worse than ever and I narrowly avoided being stomped on several times (and my partners in the first half weren’t looking out for me at all ) It was as though because there was a little more space than normal, people were dancing with even less care than usual – and that carelessness remained, even when the floor got busier later.

However, things seemed to pick up in the second half of the evening, and I had some really lovely dances. I also finally met Mr Darcy, and had my best dances of the night with him – thank you

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Berko last night was superb - even more so than normal. Lots of lovely people, lovely music, lovely dancing, including with the newly-Tangoed-up Zebra Woman and possibly soon-to-be-converted Miss Conduct

Blimey, I'm turning into a luvvie...

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    your obviously not one of them then

didn't you think there were a few there last night? I think its proberbley the same a normal but some some the not so strange folk were mising making them seem more. :
    Well the women seem fairly normal, although thinking about it you there is one.........don't know about the men though

oh and thanks, does it take nerve to ask me why, just don't ask when the disco and Motown section is on

so have we danced before ?

have you got long finger nails
    No never danced with you - short nails - it's always a bit of a risk asking for the first time as a refusal can muck up the evening - well it does for me

Thread Information