Thread: Decluttering (part 1 - CDs)

Decluttering (part 1 - CDs)

The 'decluttering' bandwagon has been active for some time: a way to salve your materialistic excesses and feel cleansed after dumping your junk. (Freecycle is great btw!! - but that's another thread).

I have been in this mode for sometime this year: the jukebox (Rock-Ola Regis 1961 vintage) has gone after a 15 year run - and so has the CD playing system. As I don't have any CD player, what is the point of the CDs and what to do with them?

I noticed Music Magpie: Selling your music CDs? Sell us your cd albums for cash free UK P& P which seems to be a good approach. You type in the bar codes of the CDs you want to sell - it comes up with a price. Then they send you Freepost packaging and you send them off - and get payment in return.

It is quite interesting to see what prices they come up. After you type the bar code, the system pauses and thinks a bit - and you're wondering - then hey presto.....The prices are of course lower than you might get on eBay, however, the advantage is that it is less hassle.

I decided to try it with 5 CDs - and the lowest price was Radiohead - Kid A at £0.45 (surprised it was that high) and the highest was the Bureau Remaster £1.86.

Now I wait to see if it all works................

----------------

(Having digitised my 7" single collection, the same principle would apply with regards to decluttering, but there are many more feelings that are attached to some of those artefacts, it makes it a lot harder. (I may need therapy)).

Re: Decluttering (part 1 - CDs)

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The 'decluttering' bandwagon has been active for some time: a way to salve your materialistic excesses and feel cleansed after dumping your junk. (Freecycle is great btw!! - but that's another thread).

I have been in this mode for sometime this year: the jukebox (Rock-Ola Regis 1961 vintage) has gone after a 15 year run - and so has the CD playing system. As I don't have any CD player, what is the point of the CDs and what to do with them?

I noticed Music Magpie: Selling your music CDs? Sell us your cd albums for cash free UK P& P which seems to be a good approach. You type in the bar codes of the CDs you want to sell - it comes up with a price. Then they send you Freepost packaging and you send them off - and get payment in return.

It is quite interesting to see what prices they come up. After you type the bar code, the system pauses and thinks a bit - and you're wondering - then hey presto.....The prices are of course lower than you might get on eBay, however, the advantage is that it is less hassle.

I decided to try it with 5 CDs - and the lowest price was Radiohead - Kid A at £0.45 (surprised it was that high) and the highest was the Bureau Remaster £1.86.
    Surely if you are trying to cleanse your soul, and rid yourself of your worldly excesses you should be giving away these items not selling them. Unless you are donating all the money to charity. Otherwise seems to me that you are cleansing your home rather than yourself

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post

Now I wait to see if it all works................

----------------

(Having digitised my 7" single collection, the same principle would apply with regards to decluttering, but there are many more feelings that are attached to some of those artefacts, it makes it a lot harder. (I may need therapy)).

cd's, ok.
    but getting rid of the vinyl is an oh so painful proposition!
    be careful, declutter with caution

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by locoman View Post
    getting rid of the vinyl is an oh so painful proposition!
    be careful, declutter with caution
    My husband still hasn't fully forgiven me, for getting rid of some of his old Vinyl, even though we hadn't owned a record player for at least 15 years at that point!

I can't see the point in keeping stuff you no longer need! All the music from my CD collection is now on my iTunes and I haven't actually bought a CD for years.

We should make a 'swap shop'

I got rid of all my tapes years ago, strangely enough, I was never very attached to them..

... well apart from one, a home-made one, where me and my best-friend, aged 10, taped a whole 6 week summer holidays worth of farts and burps and the laughter that followed each one! We even got other members of our families to participate! But of course, now I'm a grown up 'lady' I wouldn't find anything like that funny anymore!

And of course, there also my collection of mini-discs.. now, to my mind, the mini-disk system, still has its merits, as you can tape bits and pieces of songs and voices.. I've still got my kids singing and telling jokes and a couple of me reading bedtime stories (I'd read them once per night but if they wanted it again, they'd have to listen to the tape )

You can't do stuff like that with iPods, can you?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Surely if you are trying to cleanse your soul, and rid yourself of your worldly excesses you should be giving away these items not selling them. Unless you are donating all the money to charity. Otherwise seems to me that you are cleansing your home rather than yourself
    Why?

For me, de-cluttering my home (or my studio) is a great way of de-cluttering my mind and feeling calmer. If I can sell some of the stuff I no longer need, and put the money towards something I really want, like a holiday, so much the better. Can't see how earning a few punds stops you from 'cleansing your soul', or de-cluttering your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

For me, de-cluttering my home (or my studio) is a great way of de-cluttering my mind and feeling calmer. If I can sell some of the stuff I no longer need, and put the money towards something I really want, like a holiday, so much the better. Can't see how earning a few punds stops you from 'cleansing your soul', or de-cluttering your mind.

Getting rid of clothes etc. that you associate with past times is a good way of moving on and being mentally open to the next bit of your life. I don't think it matters if you want to receive money for the stuff unless you're aiming at being the next Mother Teresa.
    However, dumping the stuff in the charity shop bag is the quickest, cleanest, most decisive method. As long as you actually take the bag to the charity shop.

I got rid of several hundred DVD's before I moved down to London. My DVD buying was getting out of hand. .. I began buying them just to have them.. I couldn't go into a DVD shop without at least 1 or 2 "bargain" DVD's. At one point I had about 900.. and was rapidly approaching the 1000 mark.

I took piles down to my local cash converters and got £1 each.. I also took several boxes to various charity shops in Aberdeen.

Although I sold some the money went to a good cause.. my overdraft. The process also snapped me too my senses.. I won't say I've not bought DVD's since then.. but very few and very far between. I used to buy at least 3 or 4 every weekend. I'll be lucky if I bought that many this year !!

I still have about 500 or 600 or so DVD's But my impulse to buy has left me. SO Getting rid of clutter.. by donating/selling/both is good for cleansing the "soul"

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    ... well apart from one, a home-made one, where me and my best-friend, aged 10, taped a whole 6 week summer holidays worth of farts and burps and the laughter that followed each one! We even got other members of our families to participate! But of course, now I'm a grown up 'lady' I wouldn't find anything like that funny anymore!
    I think you should have sent that to Simon Cowell I know that would be a huge hit now he would have loved it and you would be a more of a superstar than you are already
    Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

You can't do stuff like that with iPods, can you?
    [/quote]
    you could tape them on a computer then transfer them to your ipod

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Why?

I understand what both you and JiveLad are saying but JiveLad states that it is a way to salve your materialistic excesses, so for me swapping an object for money clears space yes, which can be cathartic but replaces it with money, which in itself could be considered materialistic.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I understand what both you and JiveLad are saying but JiveLad states that it is a way to salve your materialistic excesses, so for me swapping an object for money clears space yes, which can be cathartic but replaces it with money, which in itself could be considered materialistic.
    money is kind of necessary to buy food and pay for heat and light - so surely it is only materialistic if he buys new useless stuff to replace the useless stuff he sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    money is kind of necessary to buy food and pay for heat and light - so surely it is only materialistic if he buys new useless stuff to replace the useless stuff he sold.
    That's called pawning not decluttering where I come from

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought pawning, was when you take something you own of value along to a pawn brokers, borrow money against it, expecting to get it back, once you've got the money to buy it back?

If you don't have the money to get it back, then they sell it?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

i have no idea what you are talking about - thats not any definition of pawning i've heard of

Commercial Operator

Surely if you are trying to cleanse your soul, and rid yourself of your worldly excesses you should be giving away these items not selling them.
    So... you'd perhaps be selflessly offering to help cleanse his soul by taking on some of his harmful worldly excesses?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat View Post
    So... you'd perhaps be selflessly offering to help cleanse his soul by taking on some of his harmful worldly excesses?
    Oh no I seem to have become the she devil, I’m a nice person really and no I don’t want JiveLad’s clutter thanks, I also like a clutter free existence (less housework).

I personally get great safisfaction, when the weather is good, to load up my car, take it to a boot sale and get rid of all my unwanted clutter and exchange it for a wad of cash....well perhaps not a wad but maybe enough to buy a new outfit, a good way of recycling to the benefit of all parties

I did a huge amount of de-cluttering about 6 months ago. The results were on-the-whole positive, but it was a very emotional experience at times.

I threw out all my old audio tapes and most of my VHS. They were just taking up space, and collecting dust.

Need to do some more soon, but my CD, vinyl and DVD collections will probably miss the chop one more time.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information