Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Driving Licences Expire

Photo Driving Licences Expire

This was news to me but the photo driving licences expire. I got mine in 2002 and it expires in 2010. I think the date is shown next to 4b or something on the front and not the dates on the back, I checked mine a few days ago. I think later ones are for 10 years.

If it expires it's a £1000 fine. An expired photo licence could also cause you trouble when hiring a car.

Steve

Re: Photo Driving Licences Expire

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    This was news to me but the photo driving licences expire. I got mine in 2002 and it expires in 2010. I think the date is shown next to 4b or something on the front and not the dates on the back, I checked mine a few days ago. I think later ones are for 10 years.

If it expires it's a £1000 fine. An expired photo licence could also cause you trouble when hiring a car.

Steve
    sooooooo.... put a note in the diary 2010... renew licence

Steve
    yeah i heard about this the other day funny how it seems no one knew till they are about to start expiring
    Still I suppose due to speed cameras the amount of people getting points then having to renew their licence to clean it they are being changed every four yrs or so anyway so it wont matter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    yeah i heard about this the other day funny how it seems no one knew till they are about to start expiring
    Mine expires in 2 years time and I was well aware of it.
    Something to do with the expiry date on the top front of the card.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    Still I suppose due to speed cameras the amount of people getting points then having to renew their licence to clean it they are being changed every four yrs or so anyway so it wont matter
    Must just be me that hasn't ever had any then .

:smug git smiley:

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I thought they were all 10 years - mine expires in November and i got it 10 years ago. It does have an expiration date on it though.

I don't see why - while i have hired a car with only a photocard in a few countries, in the UK they always ask for the paper bit too (and phone up the DVLA to check you don't have a ridiculous number of points if you don't have it). And as the photocard is optional, the paper bit alone is all you need.

I think you're right about the fine though, bizarrely once you HAVE a photocard it must be valid.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I think you're right about the fine though, bizarrely once you HAVE a photocard it must be valid.
    But if you don't have a photocard, the old paper licences don't expire (until you get to 70 years old, I think?).
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    But if you don't have a photocard, the old paper licences don't expire (until you get to 70 years old, I think?).
    True.

I still have a paper one.....couldn't find a nice photo of me

Also stops me paying a photo tax every ten years !
    Last edited by under par; 26th-September-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Glitter Queen

I recently renewed my card - it costs £17.50 plus the price of a new photo. Weird thing is they seem to have elongated my picture so now I don't really look like me on the card!

Anything with your photo on it (I believe) expires after 10 years - I guess they have to make you renew your picture so it's a true representation of you.

The scariest thing was that I have been driving for 10 years!!

I've lost a load of weight since I had my picture taken for my licence, so I want a new one now, but it doesn't expire until 2014

What I found annoying when I read about this is that when I got my photocard licence 10 years ago the expiry date was 2049 when I was 70.

I then had to change my address each time after moving house so got an updated photocard for free every time (which again I had the same expiry date). Then 4 years ago, got married so got a new card again with the new name (still free) - assumption being that again the expiry would be the same again.

After reading the articles about the expiry dates on them, I see on my new one that it expires in 2012 and that we now have to pay to renew them. If I'd not read the articles I'd never have known because the assumption was that the standard is the licence expires at the same time as the paper part and when my photocard was initially issued 10 years ago. It feels like they do it on the sly to catch people out!

Plus, I found that everytime my photocard was updated, the type of vehicles I can drive on the back of it seems to be reduced...strange.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    After reading the articles about the expiry dates on them, I see on my new one that it expires in 2012 and that we now have to pay to renew them. If I'd not read the articles I'd never have known because the assumption was that the standard is the licence expires at the same time as the paper part and when my photocard was initially issued 10 years ago. It feels like they do it on the sly to catch people out!
    It's one of Gordon's stealth taxes. Along with the new passports...

Did you realise that if you want to change your name (for instance, when you get married), you have to purchase a brand new passport? It doesn't matter if, say, you had 9 years left on the old one - you'd still have to pay the full price again to get a new one. That made me cross when I found that out.

Passport fees - Identity and Passport Service

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    Plus, I found that everytime my photocard was updated, the type of vehicles I can drive on the back of it seems to be reduced...strange.
    because they've been watching you

Cool Re: Photo Driving Licences Expire

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    The scariest thing was that I have been driving for 10 years!!
    I'm surprised that you managed to stay awake for that long

I'll get my coat

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    because they've been watching you
    Possibly!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Did you realise that if you want to change your name (for instance, when you get married), you have to purchase a brand new passport? It doesn't matter if, say, you had 9 years left on the old one - you'd still have to pay the full price again to get a new one. That made me cross when I found that out.
    Easy solution to this problem make sure you only get married when your passport is due to run out

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Found that one out myself too. Was good and updated mine promptly having got 9 years left on mine...they do add a proportion of time on depending on how much time yours has left on it - think it works out at a maximum of about 3 months extra! Luckily passports were still under £60 when I had to get a new one with my married name.

If you get married, but don't change your name – do you still need a new passport?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If you get married, but don't change your name – do you still need a new passport?
    No, but you might want to start looking at trust accounts and third party accounts, for when the divorce comes through... Might cost you a bit more than 60 quid.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Yup, mine is still good until I am 70

Did not know this either mine expires in 2014 if they don't send reminders I would have been blisfully unaware untill the £1000 fine arrived

Thread Information