Thread: Need Your Help on this,

Need Your Help on this,

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a laptop as my desktop is old, and it is too bulky for me now and I will be moving to Aberdeen so need a portable laptop for my new flat once I have got one.

My requirements for laptop are:-

Good memory for holding tons of photos, it has to be wireless, easy to use, I do play games on it occassionally.

My price for them is quite low as I am not exactly working so it has to be between £200 to £400. I did wonder about Acer but my friend who had them said it was rubbish so i bow to your knowledge of those things!

Any help pretty appreciated!

Shona

Re: Need Your Help on this,

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_Cat View Post
    I did wonder about Acer but my friend who had them said it was rubbish so i bow to your knowledge of those things!

Shona
    Well we all have acers at work and i have a top of the range one at home all work well never had a second of trouble with any of them
    i bought my one at home from acer direct who not only were competitively priced but gave me great service when i bought it

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Good memory for holding tons of photos, it has to be wireless, easy to use, I do play games on it occassionally.
    You need Hard Drive space for photos not "memory". Look for as big as possible for the money. If it runs Vista, which it probably will nowadays, you really need 2gb of memory. What sort of games do you play though?

My price for them is quite low as I am not exactly working so it has to be between £200 to £400. I did wonder about Acer but my friend who had them said it was rubbish so i bow to your knowledge of those things!

Acer are no more rubbish than anyone else to be honest. You'll find stories of good and bad from all manufacturers these days. My advice - go into PC world and have a look, lift them up for weight, try typing - and then check out the prices on the internet and go back only if pc world is cheaper.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    You need Hard Drive space for photos not "memory". Look for as big as possible for the money. If it runs Vista, which it probably will nowadays, you really need 2gb of memory. What sort of games do you play though?
    Acer are no more rubbish than anyone else to be honest. You'll find stories of good and bad from all manufacturers these days. My advice - go into PC world and have a look, lift them up for weight, try typing - and then check out the prices on the internet and go back only if pc world is cheaper.
    The games i play are tend to be the ones that i download from pogo.co.uk or spintop, but i delete them after i have finished so i am not too worried about using up the memory or hard drive with those games.

Ah hard drive for the photos, i learn something new everyday, always thought it was the memory cos camera etc.

Will have a look at Acer cos they seem to be the best in prices etc for me.

Okay after having couple of looks, I am so most confused,

what is really best for me?

should i go for something that has like 1GB RAM and 120GB Hard drive or 1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive?

It all rest on the price for me as it has to be one that will last me for a long while, and have everything for me to use , I know that is a lot to ask!

Cool Re: Need Your Help on this,

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a laptop as my desktop is old, and it is too bulky for me now and I will be moving to Aberdeen so need a portable laptop for my new flat once I have got one.

My requirements for laptop are:-

Shona
    I've said it before, an' I'll say it again - Morgan Computers

Memory and hard disk drive space are often confused as they're measured in the same units - it's easy to get them confuzzeled.

You may want to consider an external hard disk drive for your photos. That way you can keep more of the space on your laptop's hard disk free. These little things are really easy to use - you literally plug them into your laptop and.. well that's it, you're good to go

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I've said it before, an' I'll say it again - Morgan Computers
    You may want to consider an external hard disk drive for your photos. That way you can keep more of the space on your laptop's hard disk free. These little things are really easy to use - you literally plug them into your laptop and.. well that's it, you're good to go
    whatever you do make sure you have your photos backed up ie keep them in at least two places just in case of hard drive failure

I keep them in three places two external hard drives and on the computer hard drive

Cool Re: Need Your Help on this,

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    whatever you do make sure you have your photos backed up ie keep them in at least two places just in case of hard drive failure

I keep them in three places two external hard drives and on the computer hard drive
    It's good advice, and an extra reason to look for a machine with a DVD writer included.

I usually store any copies of photos etc in my usb stick, and some on various websites ie Bebo or Facebook so they are sort of like my back up too.

I am really appreciating everyone's effort to help me out. thanks again.

I will take my time to research this all through. I would love a macbook but that is way too dear for me

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    It's good advice, and an extra reason to look for a machine with a DVD writer included.
    Most laptops today do have a DVD writer; personally, I'd be more interested in a blu-ray drive. A BD has about six times the capacity of a DVD. At the moment, they seem to add between £50 and £150 to the base price.
    should i go for something that has like 1GB RAM and 120GB Hard drive or 1GB RAM, 80GB hard drive?
    If it has Vista (which virtually every consumer laptop does have today), then 2GB of ram is an absolute minimum. Right now, my laptop is running vista and the chrome browser and is using just over a gig of ram; it'd be running like a dog if I only had 1GB in the machine.

Ram will help you display and edit images - bring them up on screen and so forth. But storing them needs a hard drive. Fortunately, external drives are cheap, so I'm never too worried about HD space for data on a laptop. Don't rely on USB data key as a safe place to keep data: they can randomly corrupt.

In terms of brands, there's an element of hit and miss around on all of them (I don't know of a brand that doesn't have both vocal supporters and vitriolic detractors). In your price range, Dell is definitely worth a look (you can customise the machine on their site). I've got an Acer and used to have and HP, both of which are worth a look.

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    My advice - go into PC world and have a look, lift them up for weight, try typing - and then check out the prices on the internet and go back only if pc world is cheaper.
    It seems PC World currently have a Price Promise so that if you find something you like in PC World that's on ebuyer or whatever... you can still get it at the same price at PC World anyway!
    Last edited by DavidY; 23rd-September-2008 at 10:36 PM.
    Love dance, will travel

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Me View Post
    It seems PC World currently have a Price Promise
    ...although it's not totally clear to me if that applies to PC World stores or if it's just to their website? Worth looking into, though.
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

How about this one? HP 530 - Core 2 Duo T5200 / 1.6 GHz - RAM 2 GB - HDD 160 GB - DVD±RW (+R double layer) / DVD-RAM - GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0 - WLAN : 802.11a/b/g - Vista Home Basic - 15.4 - Ebuyer

Seems to fit the criteria you have. 2 gig memory, 160 Gig Hard Drive, DVD writer, WiFi etc.

HP are a good make.

I would avoid Dell like S**te on a stick though. They never work out as cheap as the ad says and you are likley to have nothing but problems with it.

Thread Information