Thread: Anyone medically minded?

Anyone medically minded?

I am going round in circles and completely out of my mind.

My daughter (age 10) has had a stomach ache for the past 6 days. It started along the top of her abdomen, as it got worse she was complaining of extreme pain of a non specific area, just all round her tummy. Night time came accompanied with vomiting… off to out-of-hours doctor. Sent home advised to keep her on light diet and water, it’s just a virus.

For the next couple days, no change to pain but no sick! Thought she was on the mend… stupid me. Yesterday, still pain but only in the lower abdomen and more sick.

Back to the out-of-hours doctor. Urine test done, high ketones, (obviously as she has not eaten or kept anything down for six days), and a “very very slight trace of blood and protein in her wee.” So along came the amoxicillin, urine infection diagnosed!!

Rubbish I think to my self, no burning when weeing. No strong smells. No temperature during six days. Pain that doubles her over and she can’t stand up. I very much doubt that such a slight trace would cause this much pain. I did ask the doctor if her symptoms were classic of such a ‘slight urine infection’ but she assured me that everyone handles pain differently, however, if there is no improvement in the next 24 hours I was to go and see my own GP!

Do you think this is normal for a urine infection? Am I worrying for nothing??

Any advice is appreciated

Clarabella x

Re: Anyone medically minded?

I'm not mediacally minded, but speaking as a parent.

There's always the possibility of appendicitus.

My son was misdiagnosed with constipation. Not only that, but the medicine prescribed made the appendicitus worse.

His appendix had burst before I finally got him to the A&E.

Recently his brother had a bad stomach pain and I took him straight to A&E. No messing around with GP's that time (though I have changed my GP obviously)

He was diagnosed with Gastrointeritus.
    But then so was Mikeyr, so I was still worried.
    Anyway it was correct.
    He'd eaten at the Notting Hill Carnival off a stall.

The difference was that he never vomited, but the son who had appendicitis did.

Hi Astro,

I asked the doctor about appendicitus but she said the pain was on the wrong side of her stomach. Caitlins pain is now all along the bottom of her tummy, not staying to the right hand side which she would expect for it to be her appendix.

Surley not everyone with appendicitus has pain only to the right of their stomach?

With your son, at what point did you take him to A&E?

Thank you for your post, i think i will take her back to the doctor first thing.

Clarabella x

Started reading your thread and urine infection sprung to mind before you actually mentioned the diagnosis. The obvious symptoms are not always present.

Should respond fairly swiflty to antibiotics so if no improvement I would be back at the GP's ASAP. I presume they have sent a sample of urine off to microbiology which should hopefully confirm the diagnosis?

If things worsen I would definitely pay a visit to A&E as there is nothing to lose apart from a possible long wait, and you would gain peace of mind. A parent's instinct shouldn't be ignored in my opinion.

Hoping your daughter feels better soon.

Commercial Operator

It doesn't sound to me like a urine infection. Surely there would be some burning sensation?

If I was you I would take her to the A&E. A week is a very long time for anyone to be in pain let alone a young child. You may feel like you are being a paranoid parent but so what? Don't worry what anyone else thinks. Take her to the hospital and stop both of your suffering.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
    however, if there is no improvement in the next 24 hours I was to go and see my own GP!
    This is precisely what you should do. Make an appointment with your GP for a consultation during normal surgery hours. Don't wait the 24 hours as you'll have to wait another 24 hours to actually see the doctor. If the symptoms have gone you can always cancel the appointment.

As far as the abdominal pain goes, this could be one of any number of minor ailments that resolve themselves. Just go to your own GP to make sure. At the very least it will put your mind at rest to find out that it's nothing serious. Don't worry, your GP will not think you're wasting their time.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Please dont be alarmed... and please read to the end.

Living in scotland about 5 years ago, i went to the cinema with my flat mate. Was in a lot of pain but put it down to lots of popcorn and coke and though i would shake it off. By 2 oclock in the morning i was in hospital in agony having just puked over the Sexiest Male Nurse in the Universe!

I had really bad pains and because of it couldnt sleep. They took blood and sent me up to a ward full of old people. They thought it was my appendix. My pain was all over my tummy (btw). They put me on fluids and some other stuff. Within a few days i was back home and in bed on the mend.

It was a simple problem in my intestines an with a few drugs i was A-OK!

I would take her to A&E which was advised by the 24 NHS number, when i got ill. If she isnt seriously ill, at least you will know!!!

Hi Astro,

I asked the doctor about appendicitus but she said the pain was on the wrong side of her stomach. Caitlins pain is now all along the bottom of her tummy, not staying to the right hand side which she would expect for it to be her appendix.

Surley not everyone with appendicitus has pain only to the right of their stomach?

With your son, at what point did you take him to A&E?

Thank you for your post, i think i will take her back to the doctor first thing.

Clarabella x
    As a kid I had the pains and vomitting etc and blood tests.... this went on for a couple of months and no clear diagnosis. So my Mum took me to her gyno who just had to touch my stomach and saw my reaction to tell us that I had better get to hospital ASAP as I have appendicitis! (by then it was REALLY bad).
    The doctor may have said that the pain was on the wrong side of your son's body... did he also mention that the appendix can move through the body? by the time they found mine it had moved to near by bowel. My uncle's doctor also had trouble finding his appendix as it had moved... and his scarring is diagonal (before the cute keyhole stuff they do now)... travelling from one side of his stomach to the other.

Commercial Operator

I don't think these minor horror stories are helping!

As I said, see your GP. Return to your GP or follow whatever other instructions you're given f the symptoms persist in spite of the treatment given.

To the others who have the horror stories, please take two aspirin and call me back in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    It doesn't sound to me like a urine infection. Surely there would be some burning sensation?
    One of the most common specimens that a microbiologist in called in to do after hours is...paediatric urines. It's sometimes very difficult to differentiate between a urine infection and some other conditions. If you look at the urine under the microscope and see white blood cells - it's likely to be an infection.

Hope it all turned out OK

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post

My son was misdiagnosed with constipation. Not only that, but the medicine prescribed made the appendicitus worse.

His appendix had burst before I finally got him to the A&E.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    As a kid I had the pains and vomitting etc and blood tests.... this went on for a couple of months and no clear diagnosis. So my Mum took me to her gyno who just had to touch my stomach and saw my reaction to tell us that I had better get to hospital ASAP as I have appendicitis! (by then it was REALLY bad).
    The doctor may have said that the pain was on the wrong side of your son's body... did he also mention that the appendix can move through the body? by the time they found mine it had moved to near by bowel. My uncle's doctor also had trouble finding his appendix as it had moved... and his scarring is diagonal (before the cute keyhole stuff they do now)... travelling from one side of his stomach to the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I don't think these minor horror stories are helping!
    They are hardly minor horror stories Andy.

Once the appendix bursts, if you survive surgery, there can be furthur complications like MARSA and twisted intestines.

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    They are hardly minor horror stories Andy.

Once the appendix bursts, if you survive surgery, there can be furthur complications like MARSA and twisted intestines.

My ex partner used to suffer with simular symptoms and he was diagnosed with Kidney stones ?? lets hope its not that as i remember he was in lots of pain they thought he had Appenix problems but turned out to be stones. They say its very painful for a man to pass these and wont go into detail i do hope your daughter is sorted out very soon

Thumbs up Re: Anyone medically minded?

Being freaked out by the possibility that Caitlin had something awful, I returned to the doctor. Our stress was acknowledged but was assured that we had to wait another 24 hours for the antibiotic to work as there was no temperature, which would be the case should there be a ‘nasty appendix’. So… antibiotics were poured down her neck!!!

Caitlin has bounced back. She is trying to eat everything in sight- although I won’t let her just yet- and drinking loads with nothing coming back.

Thank you to all of you that shared your experiences and gave advice. I’ve had lovely PM’s too.

A sigh of relief. If only the doctors listened to me in the first place she would have been given the antibiotics 6 days ago and she wouldn’t have been in such dreadful pain for so long!!

Thanks again

Clarabella xxxx

Commercial Operator

So pleased to hear that she is on the mend. You can relax now.

That's great news!

If only the doctors listened to me in the first place she would have been given the antibiotics 6 days ago and she wouldn’t have been in such dreadful pain for so long!!
    Parents have to learn how to handle these GP's. Be firm and persist, without raising your voice or being rude.

If there is one you don't get along with, see a different one within the practice.

Mine allows us to pick who we want to see out of a selection of 6 GP's. It also means less waiting time.

At my old one, their were 3 GP's, but you had to wait to see your own particular one.

Really glad to hear that your daughter is on the mend. My children are so important in my life, and it hurts me when they are hurting. As Twirlie Bird said now you can relax.

Best Wishes to you and yours.
    Last edited by rubyred; 24th-September-2008 at 12:49 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Thread Information