Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TWISTED the aftermath

Re: Was last night amazing for you too?

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    DTS - I was looking forward to meeting you - I'll have to ask JayJay, Maxine, to introduce us next time.

Well sweetie you cant miss me I am the no hair and no ar*e man giving it large and sweating like Michael jackson on a school bus.
    There's quite a few guys who would fit this description!!

Looking down all of the busty babe's tops. Bless em all.
    Er ... um, let me see, that would probably be all of the "gentlemen" then!
    Last edited by Lory; 24th-September-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fixed quotes

Commercial Operator

Re: TWISTED the aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The people who have been asking me/texting me: "how was Twisted?" (lots of people talking about it in the St. Albans area) are anticipating that it is different from a Utopia or a 'Ceroc with a Blues room night'. And..........hmmm - what do I say now? I was so positive about the concept - now I am not so sure - and the main reason is back to the division of the dance community through the extra room.
    It will still be different. The music in the Twisted room is not going to be your normal Ceroc night music. That has been made very clear. If the people that were asking about it wanted to attend the Twisted event they will still be able to do so.

1. Increase the amount of Blues music pre the switch (already discussed).
    The only problem with this is is mixes the music up and nobody really knows what sort of event they are at. I have been to events in the past where the organisers have tried to give everyone exactly what they wanted and all it did was upset everybody because no-one was really getting enough of what they wanted.

2. Start the switch earlier (I think you already said the whole evening would start earlier - so you could start the switch earlier - it doesn't have to be midnight - Cinderella is not attending....)
    This would definitely be an option.

3. Give a small discount to those hard-up die-hard Utopians
    That just wouldn't work. How would you police that for starters? Drag me off the floor for dancing to faster stuff if I had been given a discount for being a Utopian?

What about the value for non-Utopians? If you are going to have a Blues room - then why not just continue it through the night and let the non-utopians (and there were many) get their value as well - by continuing the main room with 'Standard' music? (This is not an option I would like).
    If Rocky and Co did that then the whole point would have been lost. By twisting that room they are able to gently ease those non utopians into slower music. Just because there is a blues room doesn't mean the non utopians will venture into it.

unusual, non-Ceroc - and slightly challenging music - so that is the reason to be there - and to share that experience across the dance community. If a third of the dancers have gone off to hear their usual Utopia tracks in another room - then you have immediately lost that.
    That will still be the reason to be there and to dance in the main room. The sharing of the experience will only work if the whole of the attending dance community are happy. Reading the feedback it is clear that there was a section of that community that was not happy.

If you are starting even earlier, then that would give even more importance to ensuring food is available at the 11pm time. My recommendation would be to have food from (say 10:30 - 12:30) - and make that clear to everyone beforehand. That will satisfy your 2 hour window for caterers. Of course you could make it 10:30 to 1 - even better. Either way having to wait till say 12:30 for yer chips is too late!
    For me having food is a bonus. It is your responsibility to ensure you have all that you need to eat before starting to dance. What do you do when there isn't any food available? We usually go for a kebab after a freestyle. That is usually about 2am. Nobody is going to starve if the food section isn't opened until midnight.

I have another idea of what you could do in the 2nd room which would be of value to newbies and really help things along: have a Blues try out area. I envisage say 2 or 3 taxi-esque people who would be there to talk people through and show/demonstrate thru the evening - including allowing punters to try it out with an experienced dancer. This would provide a risk free environment for newbies - and create much more value than popping your head round and seeing loads of hotshots in action. Well, that's just an idea..
    I'm sorry but this is a really bad idea. The main Twisted room is already being used as a way to ease newbies into blues dancing.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JiveLad
    unusual, non-Ceroc - and slightly challenging music - so that is the reason to be there - and to share that experience across the dance community. If a third of the dancers have gone off to hear their usual Utopia tracks in another room - then you have immediately lost that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirlybird
    That will still be the reason to be there and to dance in the main room. The sharing of the experience will only work if the whole of the attending dance community are happy. Reading the feedback it is clear that there was a section of that community that was not happy.
    Would you prefer to have no blues room and the unhappy 'Utopians' not come at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post

For me having food is a bonus. It is your responsibility to ensure you have all that you need to eat before starting to dance. What do you do when there isn't any food available? We usually go for a kebab after a freestyle.
    Down here (Herts) food is de rigeur at freestyles, rather than a bonus.
    Personally, I usually just grab a cake and that's it (and sometimes I don't even do that). Why? 'Cos usually that's when the music gets a bit slower/swingy and you get more space on the dance floor especially at Berko.

Regarding post-dance munchies: (March 28th 2007, Jive Lad Blog)

After a dance evening I get back and usually I'm quite hungry. In fact, dancing full on can burn 300 calories or more per hour.........so a few hours dancing is quite a few Mars Bars worth (yuky by the way).
    So things I have eaten post-dance include: Village Bakery fruit cake (gluten/dairy free), ditto Orange and Vanilla Cake, humus on crackers, with sun-dried tomatoes, M&S Aberdeen Angus burger with reheated potatoes boulangere, Swedish meatballs with brown rice. Occasionally a bit of dark chocolate (70% cocoa stuff).
    I guess the first question is: sweet or savoury? Not sure what drives that - but I usually seem to know what I want. If it's some cake, then it's washed down with a green tea/jasmine/camomile. Savoury usually results in a glass of red (Rioja pleeez!) - or a German beer.
    Then..........off to sleep on a full(er) stomach...........dreaming of Accordion Swizzle Mambo Turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    It will still be different. The music in the Twisted room is not going to be your normal Ceroc night music. That has been made very clear. If the people that were asking about it wanted to attend the Twisted event they will still be able to do so.

{stuff}
    Well, I've made my points, and in doing so I am trying to represent the non-Utopian, non-forumite dancers who went - and there were plenty. And there are others who perhaps would like to come.....

In doing so, I am trying to support a great idea - and see how it can be most effective for all the stakeholders.

My concern is that the essence of the idea, the concept is being broken straight away.

As I have said: one shared experience - going through the Twist together. For me, it's a no-brainer.

That's it - I won't bore you with any longer......

I can see that there are arguments both ways, but having thought about it I still prefer the idea of having a blues room in the bar / cafe area. My reasoning is as follows:

1. There simply aren't enough two room events so the potential to create one here is too good an opportunity to miss.

2. Some of the two room events that do exist don't work very well for various reasons such as the second room being too far away making movement between the two rooms a hassle, the second room being too small / too hot, the main room closing early so everyone piles into the smaller blues room creating serious over crowding at say mid-night and so on. None of these potential problems should exist here. From what I saw there is the potential to create a really good second room only separated from the main room by the width of a corridor and it only takes about 15 seconds to move from one room to the other.

3. By closing the second blues room at mid-night you not only create the welcome opportunity for food sales but also avoid a complete them and us situation because the only place to continue dancing after mid-night will be the main room. Shutting the smaller room should not create a serious over crowding problem in the main room because by midnight some people have left anyway and with slower music each couple generally needs less space for comfortable dancing.

4. I personally like the idea of being able to flit between rooms and the set up at this venue would be perfect for that. If the music played in the main room is not going to be entirely clubby fast dance stuff but is also going to include some slightly more challenging and slower stuff then the potential for people to swap rooms during the first part of the evening (even amongst the so called hot-shots) is significantly greater. Anyway if there are people who want to be cliquey they will do it whether there is one room or two.

So which room are all we forumites going to be in then?
    Last edited by Lost Leader; 24th-September-2008 at 05:52 PM.

The Perfect Woman!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    At least 'I' had two fabby dances with you but I think I may have caught your bug.. I'm feeling a bit shivery today
    I also caught some sort of bug in the UK which struck on the plane on the way back. Thankfully it waited until my weekend fun was over...

I had had such high hope of twisted. I assumed all the Utopian crowd would be there, plus others, but many faces were missing (this was only a problem as I had hoped to see many old friends in 'one night' as I was back for such a short time). The pre midnight section just didn't hit the spot for me. I can't put my finger one exactly why. My one thought about it was that the music felt all quite same-y. After midnight was MAGIC.... It flew by. I didn't want it to stop...

I'll have to time my visits better in the future...

Thanks to all those lovely people i had such sublime dances with (my first time dancing since Utopia in March, boy-o-boy how I miss it)

I am with Jive Lad on this. A seperate Blues room IMHO would segregate dancers into a them and us situation.
    Could go both ways though - might encourage some of the dancers that only did the first half to see the Blues stuff isn't quite as scary as they thought and then hang around for a bit or god forbid give it a go?

Personally, I don't really believe in the whole us and them, cliques business - I think it's all in the eye of the beholder.

But some of us (OK, me for starters, but I can't be the only one!) are too lazy to dance to faster music or just don't like a lot of it (picky, I know). If there was some slower bluesier music starting earlier than midnight, I'd go along - whereas I didn't do the first Twisted 'cos I reckoned by midnight I've have lost the will to live or fallen asleep in a corner somewhere waiting for midnight to ring.

FunkyAngel

Cool Re: TWISTED the aftermath

Perhaps we should stop trying to spoon feed new blues dancers.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are lessons, workshops, events, Privates, YouTube and DVDs available to learn to dance blues - this TWISTED event has a class doesn't it? If people want to join in then all they need to do is put in a little effort and start to learn. People can watch, chat to other dancers, ask for advice, ask for a dance, y'know.. the same thing that they did when they started dancing MJ. The same things many of us have all been doing all these months/years in the blues rooms.

This is not me being hotshotty or callous; unless we ALL extend ourselves we'll stagnate. I want nothing more than a blues room heaving with enthusiastic dancers. However, dumbing down to the lowest common denominator is NOT going to help anyone. This is especially true with Ceroc's new found love of the more advanced dancer. Ceroc want to be providing for both ends of the spectrum, and that MAY mean that not all events will suit ALL their dancers.

After all, if it's worth having, it's worth putting in a little effort isn't it?

I cannot emphasise enough my personal opinion is that a seperate blues room will ruin the Twisted format, I will however run with it and see how it goes. I may be wrong and it may be marvellous.

I shall attend with an open mind

Commercial Operator

I shall attend with an open mind
    I will save you a dance in the blues room then my darling.

I don't know if the not insignificant fact that I didn't attend the Twisted event prevents me from commenting or not !

However, when I can get a quarterly pass out for a Saturday night, I go to the 3am finish freestyles at Daventry where the Blues Room is open from 11pm alongside the main MJ room, and is the only room open for the last hour and 45 minutes, and also when I can I go to Berko with the permanent 2 room format.

For me the 2 room concept works, it helps that I love the music in the BR and is the sort of stuff I often listen to at home, and it would be fair to say that as someone who is comfortable with their MJ I initially found the BR daunting, but hey it's just like other dance environments where it's a bit of fun with people forgiving of mistakes. I'm not sure I know a single bona fide Blues move but find that slowing down and more importantly making the steps and distance much smaller, most of the MJ stuff works well enough to have an enjoyable couple of hours in the BR.

Quote Originally Posted by marcusj View Post
    ..I'm not sure I know a single bona fide Blues move but find that slowing down and more importantly making the steps and distance much smaller, most of the MJ stuff works well enough to have an enjoyable couple of hours in the BR.
    Having a well developed right thigh also helps enormously..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I sub consciously use my right thigh rather than my left as it's bigger !

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    No comment..........................No comment..................No comment.

Looking forward to our dances tomorrow night.

I really enjoyed Twisted and I think the balance was just right. I'm a die hard Utopia dancer normally and it's my favourite event, but I really enjoyed the opportunity of dancing with some of my favourite partners at Utopia at a much faster tempo, even though it felt very odd! There were lots of top notch leads there and so as a result I had the best lot of fast dancing I've had in ages. I danced with several people I hadn't met before and they were interested to 'look at the Utopians' but felt too nervous to have a go, another couple were going to have a crack at it!
    It wasn't the same atmosphere as Utopia but that is as it should be, it had a definite fun feel until midnight and while I didn't love every single track, the music for me was very good, with some interesting new stuff. I'd like a bit more funky R&B or even a bit of rap .... but that's a personal thing! 4 minutes was great although I know it's not hot off the press anymore...
    I thought the team did a great job hanging the material (how did you get up there!!) In such a big hall it's difficult to create atmosphere but they managed it. The floor was a bit slow for me in areas but I found a nice bit on the R hand side. As for the availability of a cuppa, cake and chips, fantastic!
    I'm just sorry I didn't dance with everyone I wanted to... next time!!
    More please x

Thread Information